Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,466

    Whats my bike worth?

    So I wasnt thinking about getting a new bike this year, but with used prices way up and with my eye on an Epic Evo that is miraculously available my mind has been churning.

    I dont know much about MTB values and thought maybe the collective could help me price this?

    Its a 2014 Trance Advanced Medium (Non-Boost)
    - 2019 Boost Pike 160mm with Charger 2.1 damper
    - Non-Boost Stans Crest wheels (25mm internal, carbon)
    - Full Shimano SLX M7000, e13 9-46 cassette
    - 203/180 rotors


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,466
    The only things that are stock are the rear shock and handlebars. Everything else has been changed. Dropper is a specialized iRCC but its only 125mm. I have a 180mm one up I was gonna put on but havent yet.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    8,503
    $1500-2000, but probably closer to $1500.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    597
    Are they the Crest CB7 carbon rims or regular Crest?

    Very nice wheels either way but very light XC rims are kind of mismatched on this trail bike especially since you put a big fork on it.

    Here in Utah that bike could easily go for 2000 right now. If you had a more coherent build it would be worth more. Might want to consider selling the wheels separately to a XC or gravel rider.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Are they the Crest CB7 carbon rims or regular Crest?

    Very nice wheels either way but very light XC rims are kind of mismatched on this trail bike especially since you put a big fork on it.

    Here in Utah that bike could easily go for 2000 right now. If you had a more coherent build it would be worth more. Might want to consider selling the wheels separately to a XC or gravel rider.
    Yeah they are CB7 wheels. And yeah I realize that, I think I could probably get $600 for the wheels and get some DT EX 471s or something.

    What else would make the build more coherent? This thing weighs 27lbs right now without pedals.\

    Sub-$2k and I probably wouldn't upgrade. If it were closer to $2500 I would really consider it. It's definitely an older frame, but the geo is not too bad and really...I don't see much else out there in the sub-$3k range.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    7,225
    The Pros Closet has a new feature were theyll give you a quote.

    https://www.theproscloset.com/pages/sell-trade

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    1,218
    OK ok bike appraisers now do mine:

    2017 Transition Patrol Carbon (Large, blue) - Brand new front triangle and chainstay included, both warranty replacements
    - 2018 Fox 36 Perf Elite (RC2, EVOL, Boost)
    - DT 350 Hubs (Flow MkIII front, DT EX511 Rear)
    - BikeYoke 160mm dropper
    - GX Eagle drivetrain
    - Guide RSC brakes

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Exit, CO
    Posts
    468
    It's not worth what TGR thinks, it's worth whatever someone will pay you for it. And there are 15 year old 26ers going for $2k in Denver right now. I'd chuck it on Pinkbike for $2900 and see what happens.
    The older I get, the faster I was.






    Punch it, Chewie.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    It's not worth what TGR thinks, it's worth whatever someone will pay you for it. And there are 15 year old 26ers going for $2k in Denver right now. I'd chuck it on Pinkbike for $2900 and see what happens.
    Yep. Its outrageous what used bikes are going for right now. Simply ridiculous.

    throw it on pinkbike for something stupid like $2999, and pick the highest of the lowball offers. Drop the price $500 per week until you recieve offers. Make sure the bike (and tires) are clean and shiny in the pictures.

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...=2014%20trance

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,466
    ^ this is what I was wondering. I guess I'll do that and just see what happens. I really thought this bike was worth $2k max last year and now my mind is blown.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    What else would make the build more coherent? This thing weighs 27lbs right now without pedals.\
    Its a trail bike with XC race wheels. Any rider who pushes this bike near its limits on DH or weighs over 175lbs will destroy those wheels. I assume you're probably light so you can get away with it. Sturdier wheels would make the build more coherent, especially since you put a heavier aftermarket fork on. The suspension on that bike can write checks the wheels can't cash.

    That said, people love carbon wheels and buyers might not care. When I said it could easily get 2k I was referencing the previous post. You could probably get 3k or more if you posted everywhere.

    You should sell the wheels to Tgapp he's skinny and was looking for non-boost lightweight wheels

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    ^ this is what I was wondering. I guess I'll do that and just see what happens. I really thought this bike was worth $2k max last year and now my mind is blown.
    Im gonna try and sell my wife's bike for $2500. We bought it used 2 years ago for $2k. If you have a bike that you arent going to ride (or can get away with 1 less bike for a year), now would be a good time to sell, pocket the cash and wait a year or two for a glut of underridden overspecc'ed covid MTBs to come on the market. YMMV.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    30,441
    OTOH, no way I am only running one bike for redundancy purposes right now.
    What if your main ride goes down?
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Exit, CO
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    OTOH, no way I am only running one bike for redundancy purposes right now.
    What if your main ride goes down?
    Now you're just showing off.
    The older I get, the faster I was.






    Punch it, Chewie.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Its a trail bike with XC race wheels. Any rider who pushes this bike near its limits on DH or weighs over 175lbs will destroy those wheels. I assume you're probably light so you can get away with it. Sturdier wheels would make the build more coherent, especially since you put a heavier aftermarket fork on. The suspension on that bike can write checks the wheels can't cash.

    That said, people love carbon wheels and buyers might not care. When I said it could easily get 2k I was referencing the previous post. You could probably get 3k or more if you posted everywhere.

    You should sell the wheels to Tgapp he's skinny and was looking for non-boost lightweight wheels
    Yeah I'm 160 lbs and I'm a light on my feet kinda guy who rides mostly trail although that is getting more burly as my skills increase.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    30,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Now you're just showing off.
    N+Y to the X factor.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    OTOH, no way I am only running one bike for redundancy purposes right now.
    What if your main ride goes down?
    Absolute truth, I did 248 rides last year and 200+ since 2015 which helps justify. Not having a 2nd bike isn't even a consideration anymore.

    3 mountain bikes (admittedly one is 11 years old but gets ridden some), 1 CX/Gravel bike, 1 road bike, plus older (~15-20) non-ridden versions of each that I could dust off in a pinch.

    Posted in another thread, but think I'm selling my 2015 Pivot to a friend for $2200. If I were patient I could certainly get 2500+. Though just got the email that my new Spec Fuse shipped and will be here this week, so my buddy is getting a great deal as long as it fits him.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post

    You should sell the wheels to Tgapp he's skinny and was looking for non-boost lightweight wheels
    I would love to buy those wheels, lmk



    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    OK ok bike appraisers now do mine:

    2017 Transition Patrol Carbon (Large, blue) - Brand new front triangle and chainstay included, both warranty replacements
    - 2018 Fox 36 Perf Elite (RC2, EVOL, Boost)
    - DT 350 Hubs (Flow MkIII front, DT EX511 Rear)
    - BikeYoke 160mm dropper
    - GX Eagle drivetrain
    - Guide RSC brakes
    I'd post that for $3500 and wait. Might take a month, but you'll be surprised what you get.

    I've posted before - Wife and I both sold our low-end carbon Santa Cruz's on PB this Fall; both with four seasons of riding but good maintenance:

    Her 2016 Furtado had 2x10 XT/SLX, RL Gold 130mm fork, DPS 130mm rear, Reverb Dropper, Deore-level everything else. Purchased for $3,100 in Sept 2016 for 30% off, sold for $3,000 shipped.

    My 2016 Santa Cruz 5010 with 1x11 XT/SLX, RL Gold 130mm fork, DPS 130mm rear, Thomson Dropper, Deore-level everything else. Purchased for $3,500 in March 2017 for 25% off, sold for $2,700 shipped.

    Edit - Jongiest: I'd post yours for $2,500-2,700 and see if you can get someone to play ball. Carbon wheels, newish fork and a well maintained drivetrain under $3,000 is a honeypot for a new-to-MTB buyer. I have two buddies searching for $2-3,000 FS bikes right now. Hundreds of other guys are out there in the hunt just the same: unwilling to spend $4-6,000 on a carbon bike [that they can't get], but would happily throw $2-3,000 at something that will get the job done.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I'd post that for $3500 and wait. Might take a month, but you'll be surprised what you get.
    Cool that's in the realm of what I was thinking/hoping. If I could get $4K I'd do it in a heartbeat but that's likely unrealistic. That $2-$3K mark really is the sweet spot. Crazy good return on the mid level stuff. The higher end stuff is harder to move with a COVID markup.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    the tinfoil aisle
    Posts
    1,448
    Ok - now do my bike!

    - 2006 (?) Iron Horse Sunday Team size L
    - -1.5deg angleset installed ~2013
    - 2009 DHX (spring for 240lb rider)
    - 04 - 06 vintage Marzocchi 888 / Extra firm spring
    - Hayes Stroker Ace / 203mm rotors - ran these up til last month, would include pads
    - Race Face Atlas 785mm bars
    - Truvativ hussefelt crankset / e-thirteen SRS (can include newer e-thirteen chainguide)
    - 26" Azonic outlaw wheelset (2012 purchase)
    - DHF / HR2 tires (can include brand new DHFs)
    - Sram X7/X9 9spd drivetrain / 11-36 cassette (can include spares)
    - WTB saddle with a telescoping seatpost / will include SDG i-beam post and saddle / will include a 30.0-27.2mm seatpost shim so a dropper could be run.

    So - a completely serviceable DH bike with pretty much a full complement of spares, somewhat updated with the angleset but still probably a little short in the wheelbase. Back in the day I rode it at 6'5" but nowadays it's probably for someone who rides a modern M.

    Would be great for a bafang e-bike conversion (I thought about it - got as far as purchasing the seatpost shim). Think I can get $2000 for it with DH season ramping up? A buddy sold a 2005 VPFree for something in that range, and this is way more modern than that.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    4,501
    We need a photo of that awesomeness


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    the tinfoil aisle
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    We need a photo of that awesomeness


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Went down to the crawlspace and got a proper "ran when parked" photo but can't figure the upload...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    3,032
    jongiest, another data point, I sold my wife's barely used (but a bit scratched up) stock 2014 Giant Trance 2 for $1,900CAD in about 12 hours in mid March this year. She paid $2,000 + tax for it new almost 7 years ago. The market is crazy, at least there in BC. I had about 10 messages from buyers within a few hours of putting the ad up. She's barely been riding the last few years with young kids at home so it was a good chance to dump that bike and then we can get her something lighter and modern in 2023 or whatever.

    That bike was 2x10 SLX, no dropper, horrible Fox 32 Evolution fork, boat anchor wheels etc.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Can/USA
    Posts
    1,205
    2k for a 15 year old DH bike?? If thats true that is damn insane. That market, at least in my area, is super over saturated with people trying to make money on bikes just like that. Bikes that were going for $500-$750 a year ago now listed for around $1500 Canadian but not moving. If you can good on you tho.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •