Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 117
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    9,306
    What about a new Bronco?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2a42 View Post
    I don't plan on going crazy with off-roading and will spend the majority on pavement, snow and easy dirt roads.
    Sounds like you need a Subaru.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,575

    Has anyone bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and regretted it?

    It was 1999. My roommates, Jason and Dylan and I were at the local punk/dive bar after seeing Fight Club at the movie house. I was feeling tired and wanted to head home. I checked on friends to see what their plan was.

    Jason said, "I'm gonna go get Sean Penn high."
    "Okay," my response resembled a question. Was this some new version of "party like a rockstar?"

    Just then I heard a voice behind me, "You guys wanna get out of here or what?"

    I turn around and see Sean Penn standing in the flaxen ambiance of the street lamp. I decided to extend my night out.

    Jason, who had never tried to score any drugs, up until then, earnestly departed hoping to come through for Sean, who was looking to party.

    I had a Jeep Wrangler at the time. White with a burnt sienna interior and roll bar pad reminiscient of Daisy Duke's CJ7. No doors, no bikini top, and no backseat. Instead, a dog bed, covered in hair from my first best friend, Madeline, occupied the exposed former-seating-area.

    Sean looks back at us, lights a cigarette, and asks, "You guys wanna go get some food?"

    Of course we would. Sean asks if we have a car and I gesture towards the doorless and backseat-less Jeep on the street. We cross the parking lot of the Zephyr bar and as our collective feet move from the sidewalk to the city street, Dylan lets out a distinct and lucid, "Shotgun," putting Sean on Maddie's well-used dog bed.

    We walk into the Hampton Inn coffee shop challenging the other patrons at 1:00am to believe what they are seeing and that, in fact, they are not having a fever dream about Sean Penn ordering French Onion Soup, against the recommendation of the giddy waittress.

    Dylan and Sean are discussing the merits and limitations of the Fight Club as a movie versus book. Dylan mentions our friend Jake, who Sean immediately invites out. Sean pulls out his cellular telephone, circa 1998, and calls Jake's number.

    We are young and it shows when Jake's mom answers the phone at 1:30am.

    "Hi Barbara, this is Sean Penn, is Jake home?"

    Jake is rustled from his sleep and Sean introduces himself again, "I'm having dinner with Dylan and Chad, wanna come down?"

    "He wants to talk to you," Sean states handing me the phone.

    "Yes, this is real. Yes, you should come down."

    In seemingly minutes, Jake is walking into the Hampton Inn coffee shop, circling the dining room eyeballing our table to confirm he is not being bamboozled. His eyes widen, he makes his way towards us, he sits down.

    It isn't long after this that our effervescent waitress arrives with our food, including the over-salted French Onion soup which she sets in front of Mr. Penn.

    He takes a quick spoonfull and calls to our waitress as she walks away, "Hey."

    She turns and watches as Sean adds a not-insignificant amount of salt to his soup.

    Finally Jason arrives. He hands Sean the bag he worked so hard to acquire.

    Sean pulls out two $100 bills. One he hands to Jason, the other he tosses on the table and states that, "dinner is on him."

    He pushes in his chair and walks out.

    That's my Jeep story.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,118
    Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    It was 1999. My roommates, Jason and Dylan and I were at the local punk/dive bar after seeing Fight Club at the movie house. I was feeling tired and wanted to head home. I checked on friends to see what their plan was.

    Jason said, "I'm gonna go get Sean Penn high."
    "Okay," my response resembled a question. Was this some new version of "party like a rockstar?"

    Just then I heard a voice behind me, "You guys wanna get out of here or what?"

    I turn around and see Sean Penn standing in the flaxen ambiance of the street lamp. I decided to extend my night out.

    Jason, who had never tried to score any drugs, up until then, earnestly departed hoping to come through for Sean, who was looking to party.

    I had a Jeep Wrangler at the time. White with a burnt sienna interior and roll bar pad reminiscient of Daisy Duke's CJ7. No doors, no bikini top, and no backseat. Instead, a dog bed, covered in hair from my first best friend, Madeline, occupied the exposed former-seating-area.

    Sean looks back at us, lights a cigarette, and asks, "You guys wanna go get some food?"

    Of course we would. Sean asks if we have a car and I gesture towards the doorless and backseat-less Jeep on the street. We cross the parking lot of the Zephyr bar and as our collective feet move from the sidewalk to the city street, Dylan lets out a distinct and lucid, "Shotgun," putting Sean on Maddie's well-used dog bed.

    We walk into the Hampton Inn coffee shop challenging the other patrons at 1:00am to believe what they are seeing and that, in fact, they are not having a fever dream about Sean Penn ordering French Onion Soup, against the recommendation of the giddy waittress.

    Dylan and Sean are discussing the merits and limitations of the Fight Club as a movie versus book. Dylan mentions our friend Jake, who Sean immediately invites out. Sean pulls out his cellular telephone, circa 1998, and calls Jake's number.

    We are young and it shows when Jake's mom answers the phone at 1:30am.

    "Hi Barbara, this is Sean Penn, is Jake home?"

    Jake is rustled from his sleep and Sean introduces himself again, "I'm having dinner with Dylan and Chad, wanna come down?"

    "He wants to talk to you," Sean states handing me the phone.

    "Yes, this is real. Yes, you should come down."

    In seemingly minutes, Jake is walking into the Hampton Inn coffee shop, circling the dining room eyeballing our table to confirm he is not being bamboozled. His eyes widen, he makes his way towards us, he sits down.

    It isn't long after this that our effervescent waitress arrives with our food, including the over-salted French Onion soup which she sets in front of Mr. Penn.

    He takes a quick spoonfull and calls to our waitress as she walks away, "Hey."

    She turns and watches as Sean adds a not-insignificant amount of salt to his soup.

    Finally Jason arrives. He hands Sean the bag he worked so hard to acquire.

    Sean pulls out two $100 bills. One he hands to Jason, the other he tosses on the table and states that, "dinner is on him."

    He pushes in his chair and walks out.

    That's my Jeep story.
    I really want “Sean Penn High” to be a thing now.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    16
    Thanks everyone for all of the responses. I guess a part of it is I've always just wanted to own a wrangler and currently at a part of my life where I don't have kids or anything to worry about. However I may just go the route of Jeep Grand Cherokee or 4runner. Relatively new to the North west and want the piece of mind to be able to not worry about getting stuck driving to work or the mountains in ski season.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    14,205
    I daily drove a 2007 Rubicon for three months when I was in between trucks and needed to borrow something from family. Literally the worst daily driver I have ever experienced. Maybe the newer ones are better, but you basically got beat to shit on anything but pristine new pavement and you will go deaf just from the engine/wind noise even with a hard top on.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fraggle Rock, CO
    Posts
    6,438
    Roof and doors come of my jku in April and go back on in October. Funnest part of my day sometimes is my ~30 minute commute. Sun shining, radio on, plenty of breeze...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    4,018
    what you really need is a geo tracker…



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B843048E-0A66-4215-A547-6E84015858C4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	440.6 KB 
ID:	376680








    tracker fact.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    righthere/rightnow
    Posts
    2,491
    The Grand Cherokee in Sport mode is a blast around town and in the mountains.
    Get the Hemi!

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    It was 1999. My roommates, Jason and Dylan and I were at the local punk/dive bar after seeing Fight Club at the movie house. I was feeling tired and wanted to head home. I checked on friends to see what their plan was.

    Jason said, "I'm gonna go get Sean Penn high."
    "Okay," my response resembled a question. Was this some new version of "party like a rockstar?"

    Just then I heard a voice behind me, "You guys wanna get out of here or what?"

    I turn around and see Sean Penn standing in the flaxen ambiance of the street lamp. I decided to extend my night out.

    Jason, who had never tried to score any drugs, up until then, earnestly departed hoping to come through for Sean, who was looking to party.

    I had a Jeep Wrangler at the time. White with a burnt sienna interior and roll bar pad reminiscient of Daisy Duke's CJ7. No doors, no bikini top, and no backseat. Instead, a dog bed, covered in hair from my first best friend, Madeline, occupied the exposed former-seating-area.

    Sean looks back at us, lights a cigarette, and asks, "You guys wanna go get some food?"

    Of course we would. Sean asks if we have a car and I gesture towards the doorless and backseat-less Jeep on the street. We cross the parking lot of the Zephyr bar and as our collective feet move from the sidewalk to the city street, Dylan lets out a distinct and lucid, "Shotgun," putting Sean on Maddie's well-used dog bed.

    We walk into the Hampton Inn coffee shop challenging the other patrons at 1:00am to believe what they are seeing and that, in fact, they are not having a fever dream about Sean Penn ordering French Onion Soup, against the recommendation of the giddy waittress.

    Dylan and Sean are discussing the merits and limitations of the Fight Club as a movie versus book. Dylan mentions our friend Jake, who Sean immediately invites out. Sean pulls out his cellular telephone, circa 1998, and calls Jake's number.

    We are young and it shows when Jake's mom answers the phone at 1:30am.

    "Hi Barbara, this is Sean Penn, is Jake home?"

    Jake is rustled from his sleep and Sean introduces himself again, "I'm having dinner with Dylan and Chad, wanna come down?"

    "He wants to talk to you," Sean states handing me the phone.

    "Yes, this is real. Yes, you should come down."

    In seemingly minutes, Jake is walking into the Hampton Inn coffee shop, circling the dining room eyeballing our table to confirm he is not being bamboozled. His eyes widen, he makes his way towards us, he sits down.

    It isn't long after this that our effervescent waitress arrives with our food, including the over-salted French Onion soup which she sets in front of Mr. Penn.

    He takes a quick spoonfull and calls to our waitress as she walks away, "Hey."

    She turns and watches as Sean adds a not-insignificant amount of salt to his soup.

    Finally Jason arrives. He hands Sean the bag he worked so hard to acquire.

    Sean pulls out two $100 bills. One he hands to Jason, the other he tosses on the table and states that, "dinner is on him."

    He pushes in his chair and walks out.

    That's my Jeep story.
    That is fucking amazing......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    The Grand Cherokee in Sport mode is a blast around town and in the mountains.
    Get the Hemi!
    Trackhawk or gtfo

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    9,306
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2a42 View Post
    Thanks everyone for all of the responses. I guess a part of it is I've always just wanted to own a wrangler and currently at a part of my life where I don't have kids or anything to worry about. However I may just go the route of Jeep Grand Cherokee or 4runner. Relatively new to the North west and want the piece of mind to be able to not worry about getting stuck driving to work or the mountains in ski season.
    Nobody buys a Wrangler because it's the practical choice. Also, the longer wheelbase of the Unlimited makes it nicer to drive and better in the snow. If you want a Jeep, get a Jeep. Though, I still think you should seriously consider the Bronco. Same fun factor, but not built by FCA.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    GNARvada
    Posts
    3,710
    38 posts and no one mentioned a 392 yet?
    Go big or go home.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,451
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    38 posts and no one mentioned a 392 yet?
    Go big or go home.
    Toyota mega cruiser

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    688
    I've had a JKU Sport for 7 years since new. All I have done excluding mods are oil changes and twice I had a CEL for a speed sensor. Once it was fixed under warranty and the second time the shitty dealer said my wheels were not OEM so they wouldn't do warranty work unless I put OEM wheels back on. Screw them. The speed sensor "fixed" itself after a couple minutes. Other than that, no issues at all. Maybe I am lucky?

    I've had the itch to upgrade to the new Bronco, the Electric Wrangler or the new 392 Wrangler. I can't justify it cause its a toy I occasionally drive. Would I want it as my daily if I had a long commute or 3 hr drive each way skiing, no way.

    Yes the 18+ JLUs are better on the highway but I still don't see it as something I would put 15K miles a year on. The Bronco's IFS should make it more enjoyable on long highway rides. If you are putting 15K a year on your rig, I'd look at the Bronco. I think Bronco will have better resale and I gotta think JKU prices will finally start to fall since there are now so many on the road and the Bronco is coming.

    I average just under 5K miles a year and most of those are with doors and roof off from May-October. I never used my softtop and sold it. It's hardtop in the winter, and don't drive it in the summer if it's raining.

    Great toy but really look at the Bronco if you are gonna put a lot of miles on it. If you skip Bronco/Wrangler, I'd be looking at body on frame full size SUVs but that's just me.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I’m sure I’ll catch hell for this but a road trip that involves any kind of highway driving in a Wrangler with larger tires gets old really fucking quick.
    TRUTH! especially if you have a heavy foot. Apparently the 392 is limited to 100.5? WTF? think the old JKUs are faster....

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    688
    My neighbor hates his new 4 Runner. Says everything about it sucks, wishes he didn't buy it. He was coming from a Ford Expedition and does not offroad.

    Quote Originally Posted by mb2a42 View Post
    Thanks everyone for all of the responses. I guess a part of it is I've always just wanted to own a wrangler and currently at a part of my life where I don't have kids or anything to worry about. However I may just go the route of Jeep Grand Cherokee or 4runner. Relatively new to the North west and want the piece of mind to be able to not worry about getting stuck driving to work or the mountains in ski season.
    Wranglers are far less likely to get stuck than anything else you mentioned.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    GNARvada
    Posts
    3,710
    Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Apparently the 392 is limited to 100.5?..
    No Youtube videos on governor bypasses...yet.
    Taking a Wrangler to 150mph would be terrifying.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    No Youtube videos on governor bypasses...yet.
    Taking a Wrangler to 150mph would be terrifying.
    with the right tires, a perfectly smooth road and a fresh balance/alignment, I think 150 would be fine. Real world, no way.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    168

    Has anyone bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and regretted it?

    Alright, full spray of Chrysler hatred ahead.

    Owned 2 Cherokee’s, always problems. Will never own another after this past year. Stay away. The only reason I keep mine for now is my dog died inside and I like to think his spirit is always rolling with me.

    My 2013 GC hemi sat for 7 months, unable to reliably start. 3 months in my driveway and another 4 months at a dealership unable to start after it passed 100k. It left me stranded a few times, once in the desert for 2 days. Dicy.

    Fuel pump relay massive failure, they had to newly design it b/c it would acquire buildup after driving. Would need a cool down for a day or 2 to start again. Not really a car you could use at that point, always a high risk of a tow and if you had a job that you needed to be on time for, forget it.


    All 2011-2013 Cherokee’s and Durango’s have this problem. Both 3.6 penstar and 5.7 hemi. Chrysler only gives one newly made fuel pump relay to one dealer per week. They only began issuing a warranty recall for 2012 and 2013 because they just had the number of units over the threshold.

    They 2011 had the same exact problem, and they knew it would be in 2012 and 2013. Chrysler specifically waited because it’s such a big issue, they knew it would happen and they waited to spread out the hurt to the company. They Specifically knew about the issue, and sat on their hands. Coulda saved a lot of trouble for customers.

    I was 191st on the list for the fuel pump relay, and only 1 issued a week, scheduled to receive one in about 3.5
    years. Laughable.

    all help denied be crysler-no rental, no loaner, no tow reimbursement, and no real definitive time my car would be fixed, no real time when they could provide this new version of a part.

    They told me to buy a new Jeep while my 2013 was waiting to be fixed.

    I called a lot to HQ and after 6.5 months of calls, they finally broke and gave my the warranty part out of line so I would stop calling.

    Chrysler is the worst.

    End rant.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,637

    Has anyone bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and regretted it?

    ^^^pile on…. First job/Bought first vehicle in 1996.….Jeep Grand Cherokee. Looked sweet…brand new…but was totally a lemon. Transmission issues from the day I drove off lot….took it back a bunch of times, they always said it was fixed/nothing wrong….so frustrating dealing with that shit.

    Sold it 2 months later. Bought a 4Runner….been a Toyota guy ever since.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    righthere/rightnow
    Posts
    2,491
    You guys just bought the worst years to own a Cherokee.
    No brand is perfect, Toyota's are great but they have a laundry list of problems as well.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,285
    Jeeps, Toyotas and god forbid, Subarus. Yuck. All these vehicles are rather pedestrian.

    If you have the means, spring for the Range Rover.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-Land-Rover-Range-Rover-Westminster-Edition-exterior-side-shot-parked-at-a-seaside-villa_o.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	376728
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    8,961
    Yes, the apotheosis of Reliability.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    14,648
    Isn't Lucas the reason Brits drink warm beer?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •