Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Has anyone bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and regretted it?

I am thinking about buying a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara as I don't really have the need for the options that come with the rubicon. I am just wondering if anyone has ever bought one and regretted it, and if so what did they go hate about it? My biggest concern is reliability and enough room even with the back seats down. I'd be using it as my daily and for ski trips, camping, dogs, and road trips.

Jeeps are love/hate vehicles. YMMV.

If the Rubicon is overkill, take a look at the Willys. You get Rubicon shocks, skids, rock rails, beefier tires, etc. It's a good middle ground vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Jeeps are love/hate vehicles. YMMV. .
    QFT. My wife hated ours. I liked it mostly. They aren’t the most comfortable ride. If you’re set on jeep and can afford the upgrade, go Rubicon. Huge difference in ride quality, comfort; and bro status

Or get a 4 runner, Tacoma, tundra

I’m pretty sure AdironRider has one, he’s posted good things about it on here.

Or you could PM deepsouthmafia, since you are getting a Sahara....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Yea I'm not expecting a luxury ride forsure even though I think the 2018 and newer are better, I just mainly want it to be something that I can pretty much go anywhere in any kind of weather condition and not worry about getting stuck. I like the 4runner but honestly can't stand the drive on highways, whenever they eventually redo the transmission/engine I'll definitely be more interested even though they are reliable how they are now.

The wife had a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited. It was her daily. Great for short trips to town, left a lot to be desired for road tripping etc. We ended up selling it and got a 4 Runner instead. If you are using it to get yourself to the mountains I would pass for something that rides more comfortable on the highway/pavement.

Now as a second car/non daily driver it is a total win. I bought a 2006 Wrangler off my neighbor 10 years ago took the top off and never put it back on. Take the kids to get ice cream, hit the local trails, etc. It's fun to not drive the full size truck every day.

My friend has one and loves being able to off road but says it’s squirrelly on the highway. Maybe that’s just the tires though?

I’m sure I’ll catch hell for this but a road trip that involves any kind of highway driving in a Wrangler with larger tires gets old really fucking quick.
    I still call it The Jake.

lol nah I agree. that's kinda why I want the Sahara without the huge tires, I don't plan on going crazy with off-roading and will spend the majority on pavement, snow and easy dirt roads.

You don't buy a Jeep for quiet, comfortable and smooth highway riding, although the JLs aren't as atrocious as older models.
    Saharas do seem to be the choice of the mall crawling crowd.
    I am a total homer though - been driving Jeeps near nonstop since I was 16 and am taking delivery of a new JL next week.
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 06-08-2021 at 08:05 AM.

I was a long time jeep owner; sometimes I get nostalgic for it. Nimble off roading. Doors n top off on warm summer nights.

Just this week there was a four car accident here in town. The 2 people who died were in an older Wrangler. Reminded me why I sold mine (over 250K mi). Near the bottom of the list of cars I want to be in during a serious accident. I'm sure they are better now, they'd have to be. Not to be a safety weenie but I'd look into the ratings esp if you have a family.

And - my ears still ring from driving mine.

We are old. Pmag days we’d all be saying pussy, just get it.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Everyone I know with a Cherokee lives it fwiw.

From what you’ve written, you want something more like the 4Runner.

Or a Cherokee

It's probably mostly caused by the wrong tires but oftentimes the slowest, because the rear end is constantly stepping out, vehicles on a snow covered but otherwise easily drivable canyon roads are solid axle Toyotas and Jeeps. It's not uncommon to see a Wrangler in the ditch on a powder day here in the Wasatch.

Quote Originally Posted by mb2a42 View Post
    Yea I'm not expecting a luxury ride forsure...I like the 4runner but honestly can't stand the drive on highways
    Wait. You don't like the 4Runner ride on highways and you want to get a Jeep Wrangler? You be crazy man.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

My wife had a Wrangler when we met. First date was driving over Pearl Pass to CB. Loved it in Aspen.

Moved to Chicago, had kids, hated it.

Driving to Glenwood yesterday, I mentioned getting another one.
    She told me to rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Wait. You don't like the 4Runner ride on highways and you want to get a Jeep Wrangler? You be crazy man.
    He needs to keep the 4Runner. And have multiple sets of wheels that he tows in a trailer with a compressor and tools so that he can do the NASCAR change every time he encounters a different type of road surface.

This x2

Wranglers generally suck at most car things, noisy, poor ride quality, lousy seats, tiny interior volume given how big the unlimited exterior is. Long road trips are miserable. Would hate to daily drive one.
    They're fun for what they are designed for and the experiences possible, summertime cruising with top and/or doors off, getting way off road, etc. And truthfully even then a modern 4x4 truck or suv is better until the off-road gets really rough.

FWIW I've got one, Rubicon unlimited. Works as a second vehicle. Would not have it if it were my daily.

I'll just cut right to the chase, buy the Wrangler. There is nothing else on the market that will scratch that itch, or give you anything remotely close to the driving experience of top down, doors off, cruising. A 4runner is a lump of generic SUV in comparison.

I have a JK 2 door sport, which is the culmination of a my increasing exposure to off roading. I started with a Nissan Frontier, maxed that out capability wise and traded it for an FJ Cruiser, with which I did the same and finally went whole hog and got the Wrangler. It will feel smaller and is more nimble than any 4 runner will in terms of parking or off roading, and has similar interior volumes in practice. I have built mine up with air lockers, sway bar disconnects, Rubicon suspension, and my love for this thing increases every day.

I think you are looking at the right model with the 4 door Sahara. Leather and climate control and all the good stuff, the long wheelbase will make the ride on the highway pretty decent. I would get the hard top. Its a bitch to get on and off without a garage ceiling to hang a sling off of to raise it, but it is worlds better in terms of year round drivability. That being said, you won't be cruising at 85 all day long. This is more of a couple hours at 70 type vehicle before you'll need a pit stop. The new JL models are much better in terms of driving comfort. The Wrangler gets a bad rap because back in the day 30 years ago they were painful to drive and death traps, and while they are still solid front axle vehicles and you will still feel potholes, they are vastly different vehicles now. I'd test drive one and I bet you go home with it.

Reliability for mine has been rock solid, and I've beat the shit out of it and put it away wet. I've done the White Rim in 100 degree heat in a day and it purred like a kitten. It's crawled over Hells Revenge so many times I've lost count. It's done basically every forest road within 100 miles of Jackson several times. I've commuted over Teton Pass in it daily inbetween for 7 years. I've had to replace the brakes due to wear and 1 caliper because I got a bunch of silt in it offroading and locked it up. I had to replace the radiator after I got a big ass rock lodged in it on Pearl Pass in CB (and even then it didn't overheat as it has an electric fan backup). I've put 120k miles on this in 7 years and it has never once left me stranded or not started.

Is it going to ride as nice as a Lexus, no, but I have never driven another vehicle that puts a smile on my face more than a Wrangler. You can take the top off for the summer and turn every trip to the corner store into an adventure. Doors off driving is one of life's simplest pleasures. I highly recommend, just know you won't be setting land speed records. The best part is they hold their value better than even Toyota Tacomas. You can buy the Sahara today, drive it for a year or three, and then sell it when you are done and spend less than a grand per year in depreciation. Clapped out 30 year old Wranglers that went for 20k new still bring over 10k used. I bought mine for 26k brand new 7 years ago and could sell it today for 20ish. That's cheap driving.
    Live Free or Die

This X3.

I had a long series of Jeeps. Great off-road. Wranglers, in particular, are sketchy in snow driving on road.

If you think of a Wrangler as a street legal off-road vehicle, then you won't be disappointed in what you end up with in terms of road manners.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I would get the hard top. Its a bitch to get on and off without a garage ceiling to hang a sling off of to raise it, but it is worlds better in terms of year round drivability. g.
    Good alternate if you don't want to deal with a hoist, or bug your neighbor:

https://topliftpros.com/products/jee...BoCu6wQAvD_BwE

I’ve owned a numerous Jeeps, two wranglers.

My 4 door JK Sahara was by far my favorite vehicle I ever owned. Not great for a main family car, but second family car it was great. Fun, functional enough, definitely puts a smile on your face.

Only got rid of it because it was getting long in the tooth and I saw a lot of repairs coming down the road and didn’t want to put a teenager behind the wheel of a historically not safe vehicle as their first car.

Since the day I got ride of it I have been itching for another one.

Thinking once the world settles down a little bit and dealers actually have cars in stock I’ll dip my toe back in and seriously take a look at the new JLs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mb2a42 View Post
    lol nah I agree. that's kinda why I want the Sahara without the huge tires, I don't plan on going crazy with off-roading and will spend the majority on pavement, snow and easy dirt roads.
    M-Buddy - Get a Sienna AWD mini-van.

Damn the m-series jong bots are getting good with the AI - almost like its a real peson....LOL