Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beartooth Road Trip TR: A Coming of Age Tale

Day One: The Sixth of June in the year of our Lord twenty and twenty-one.

A restless night last night made for a fashionably late start this morning. I didn’t get on the road until 11 est. Once I did though, the early legs of my journey were beset by pissin problems. It could have been the couple cups of coffee, or perhaps just nervousness toward the uncertainty of what lay ahead, but I was stopping at almost every rest area. I ran into terrible traffic just west of the NC border which delayed me nearly an hour. I was about to piss myself the entire time too. When the traffic cleared, I found a nice gas station bathroom sink to relieve myself in and was soon on my way.

As I neared Bobby stainless land, my polyuria subsided but the traffic returned. Another lengthy delay quashed my hopes of St Louis by nightfall. By the time I had the metropolis in my rear view, it was high time for some fine dinin. I found a Popeyes and enjoyed a delicious 2-piece leg and thigh with a biscuit.

Back on the road again, I set my sights on an encampment for the night. I decided on Paducah, Kentucky, the place from which I write you.

Kentucky is a strange land and I have found it to be mostly desolate. The roads are in pretty terrible shape and the roadkill picker-upper must have quit because there are deer carcasses every mile, in various states of decomposition. I’m pretty sure I saw a few armadillo too.

I hope for an early start tomorrow with the possibility of reaching Laramie before I get too tired. If not, somewhere in far west Nebraska will have to do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	376543

Name:	IMG_0752.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1,023.4 KB 
ID:	376545

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Glad you're doing it and nice rig. If shooting for Laramie set your sights on Vedauwoo for camping. One of my favorite roadside campgrounds anywhere. Safe travels!

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Glad you're doing it and nice rig. If shooting for Laramie set your sights on Vedauwoo for camping. One of my favorite roadside campgrounds anywhere. Safe travels!
    Thank you on both counts. I think I’ll camp there if I make it that far.

I'll second that recommendation. Ironically I'm wearing a UW Cowboys shirt at the moment.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Dude. How old are you? What age will you become after this trip? I gotta admit; if you're as young as you make yourself seem, thank you for your clear and concise writing. I like it.

Echoing splat. Keep writing. Whatever trade/profession/career/life you want to follow it will be a huge asset.

Vedauwoo has lots of good camping and is quick to get to off the highway. Couple examples from my travels in case you just wanna punch something into the GPS: 41.2328704, -105.4277176 & 41.1714505, -105.3399611

Be mindful of the cougars near red lodge. They’re just waiting for a guy like you

I rip the groomed on tele gear

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i likes to sleep in the oogala rest stop
    while its out da way
    youre welcome in da casa da bum guest room
    and the front of the drift boat
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Be mindful of the cougars near red lodge. They’re just waiting for a guy like you

The demographics in Red Lodge must really be changing.

Either that, or the chicks I used to hang out with are rapidly approaching 40.

Good luck on the drive. Go Bobcats, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Day One: The Sixth of June in the year of our Lord twenty and twenty-one.

A restless night last night made for a fashionably late start this morning. I didn’t get on the road until 11 est. Once I did though, the early legs of my journey were beset by pissin problems. It could have been the couple cups of coffee, or perhaps just nervousness toward the uncertainty of what lay ahead, but I was stopping at almost every rest area. I ran into terrible traffic just west of the NC border which delayed me nearly an hour. I was about to piss myself the entire time too. When the traffic cleared, I found a nice gas station bathroom sink to relieve myself in and was soon on my way.

get yourself some piss jugs. way of the road buddy
    27° 18°

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ifin ya go through cody
    and ya dont tell em ya aints come of age or they dont ask
    libations serves damn good sloshies to go
    and the bar in roscoes good
    as is the edelweiss
    montana st rd 420 is in that hood but outta the way unless your headed to livingston
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    The demographics in Red Lodge must really be changing.

Either that, or the chicks I used to hang out with are rapidly approaching 40.

Good luck on the drive. Go Bobcats, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Did Carl run the bar in town then - the Snow Creek Saloon?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Did Carl run the bar in town then - the Snow Creek Saloon?
    Carl is a legend. As of last year he's at the Snag Bar now

Thanks for the words everyone. Glad people enjoyed the write up. Today’s recap to come soon. As long as a don’t get too tired.

Did your facial paralysis issue get resolved?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Did your facial paralysis issue get resolved?
    Pretty much. Went to the doctor and he confirmed that it is Bell’s Palsy, caused by pressure on the 7th cranial nerve. Prescribed me an antiviral and after a few days, function is almost fully restored.

good job

nice info bro, tnx

Pretty much. Went to the doctor and he confirmed that it is Bell’s Palsy, caused by pressure on the 7th cranial nerve. Prescribed me an antiviral and after a few days, function is almost fully restored.

That’s too bad, you could’ve taken that poker face to Vegas and made yourself a fucking fortune.

Bwah, stealurpokerface. Sorry that shit happened... glad it's fixed and I hope you can laugh about it now.

Also hope that the lift is repaired by the time you get there.

Glad to hear. Safe travels!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Also hope that the lift is repaired by the time you get there.
    I thought you were joking. Then I checked the website.

Oh no.

I thought you were joking. Then I checked the website.

Oh no.

They posted on their socials this afternoon that they have the part in hand and are hoping to be back up and running tomorrow. Good luck!

They posted on their socials this afternoon that they have the part in hand and are hoping to be back up and running tomorrow. Good luck!
    Thank fuck and thanks fer lettin me know.

There’s a whole lot more f good stuff that isn’t serviced by the lift - hope you brought your touring gear.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Beartooth Road Trip TR: A Coming of Age Tale

Day 2 - 6/7

Part one

I was up and on the road early. I caught the last flames of sunrise over the Ohio and saw nothing remotely scenic until I hit Iowa.

Name:	IMG_0760.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	376711

Missouri came and went quickly according to the clock. Traffic was nonexistent until I reached the urban sprawl of St. Louis, and even then it wasn’t all that bad. Like I said, I made good time but the time I had alone with my thoughts was agonizing for awhile. I thought about everything I could think of. It was deeply introspective and I think my wiser subconscious broke through the drone of the interstate to deliver some long overdue insights. I experienced emotional growth.

On a concrete picnic table outside a gas station on the outskirts of Kansas City, I decided Laramie was too lofty a goal for the day. I also felt as though I had not taken in any landscapes compelling enough to satiate my expectations of what a roadtrip should be. I decided that I would arrive at my destination, wherever that may be, in time to eat a meal and find a proper vantage point from which to view the sunset.

With Missouri behind me, I made a short passage through southwest Iowa before arriving in Nebraska. The traffic dwindled with the trees. I had never seen open country like that before, though I expected it to be much flatter. The terrain was barren but rolling.

At a rest stop west of Omaha, I booked a room in Gothenburg. I was still some hours from the town and getting hungry. I stopped in Grand Island for an early dinner, venturing well off the highway in search of a proper meal. I settled on a pizza place off Main Street. It was decent, specially for bumfuck, Nebraska.

I arrived at my hotel two hours later only to be greeted by a long line for the front desk. At the front of the line was a large middle eastern man arguing with the cute girl behind the counter. Judging by the looks of those in front of me, this had been going on for some time. He went back and forth between mediocre English and Arabic but I quickly concluded that he was wrong. I wanted to say something but once the cute girl got her manager on the phone, I figured this would resolve soon...