Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yallah habibi

Arabic for "let's go my dude"

Fingers crossed the lifts are spinning for ya.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Day 2
    Part two

At about that time, an older man came through the doors and plopped down on the couch opposite me. He was very drunk and looked like he wanted to have a conversation. I quietly remarked that the situation was a shitshow. He proceeded to tell me he was from Omaha and how he was installing the refrigeration for the grocery store being built in town. He had been living in the hotel for three months, returning to Omaha every Thursday to spend the weekends there. He was working for the owner, not for some corporation. It would be a locally owned grocery store. His wife wanted him to retire but he liked being a few hundred miles away from her during the weekdays. He could drink as much beer as he wanted once he got off work. He asked if I wanted a beer and pointed to the small red Igloo by his feet then gave a puzzled look when I said no before asking if I was sure.

All the while, the situation at the front desk was steadily devolving. The middle eastern man’s voice grew louder and angrier. It came to a head when the cute girl stepped away from the counter and the middle eastern man turned to us an asked if we could believe this shit. The older man ironically remarked that he could not and then stood up. I felt quite certain that I would be breaking up a fight quite soon. I was wrong. While the older man did tell him to shut the fuck up and take a hike, the middle eastern man was too taken aback to respond. The older man turned and sat back down. When the cute girl returned, they reached a compromise.

I checked in when my turn came and went up to my room to deposit my bag and place some bottled water in the mini fridge for later. I figured I was behind schedule for sunset viewing and quickly returned to my car.

I drove north down a two lane road while searching for a suitable spot. The sun was higher in the sky than I had realized so I continued for nearly 30 miles. On a whim, I hung a left down a poorly maintained gravel road. I thought it might lead to a farm house but after some miles, concluded that it did not. The sun began to drop behind the clouds and I took this photo:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0769.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	376715

With plenty of light left, I continued west, eventually coming to a fork in the road. I chose the southwest offering and began to navigate back towards I-80 with the help of a downloaded Avenza map. The day turned to dusk and dusk quickly to night. I reached the interstate an hour later and made my way back to the hotel. I went quickly to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Concise, with a hint of malice...and a nice sunset release.
    Short story of the day?

I wonder if the old man’s wife has a lover...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Beartooth Road Trip TR: A Coming of Age Tale

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Concise, with a hint of malice...and a nice sunset release.
    Short story of the day?

I wonder if the old man’s wife has a lover...
    Funny. I wondered if the old man had a flame in town. Probably not though. He would’ve told me if he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Carl is a legend. As of last year he's at the Snag Bar now
    And you can tell it's a slow night when drinks just appear before you order them, but always make it onto your tab.

He's a pretty damn solid skier, and was consistently around at opening bell on powder days while I lived there.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Stoked to read along on your journey.

Photo dump:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	377127

Name:	IMG_0802.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	866.9 KB 
ID:	377129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0816.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	377131

Name:	IMG_0822.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	377132

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	377133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	777.0 KB 
ID:	377134
    I might finish the day by day TR when I get back home but long story short, the last 48 hours have been nothing less than a grade-a shitshow.

Spent all of yesterday at the campsite absolutely sicker than shit. Got into town earlier today only to learn that an old friend was killed in a drive-by yesterday afternoon. That was the straw that broke the camels back and I decided to bail on the trip a day early. Typing this from a hotel room in bumfuck, SD.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    id tell ya its not all part of comins of age
    but it is
    drive and be safe on the road home
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Sorry about your friend, SUF.

Some nice pics.

Be safe on your way home.

Thanks for connecting mag. Way to get after it. You'd have regretted turning around at first.

Sad news about your old friend. You gots a long ride home, don't dwell on it too much. Life seems to throw hurdles at us as frequently as those signs for Wall drug in SD.

Did yer notabro meetcha in JH for the BtPass gig? That sounded like carnage in a bottle.

Try and come down next winter, or even fall if the books are killing you...

Somehow missed this thread. Great to meet you. Sorry about your friend.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the condolences. It is one of those things that is shocking but upon further thought, not that surprising. We hadn’t seen each other in a few years but had some great times smoking blunts in the woods behind the soccer field. He might have been the one that taught me how to roll a backwoods.
    Anyways, a sobering reminder of the fragility of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Thanks for connecting mag. Way to get after it. You'd have regretted turning around at first.

Sad news about your old friend. You gots a long ride home, don't dwell on it too much. Life seems to throw hurdles at us as frequently as those signs for Wall drug in SD.

Did yer notabro meetcha in JH for the BtPass gig? That sounded like carnage in a bottle.

Try and come down next winter, or even fall if the books are killing you...
    I’ll make it down for at least a weekend of turns next season for sure. Might even make a pit stop in the Hole on the way out to skewl.

Ha! That notabro ended up meeting me at the campsite a day after his eta. Carnage in a bottle like you wouldn’t believe. I wasn’t there to witness it but he took a ride most of the way down the Gardner headwall without his skis on, clipped the rocks, and took out two others in the process! Probably should have died but he was completely fine, as were the others. This was captured on film. I’ll try to procure a link or something.

I’ll give his antics a proper account in the days to come. Suffice to say, you were very right: I should have ghosted him.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Somehow missed this thread. Great to meet you. Sorry about your friend.
    Great time tying in with you and yer family. So glad I happened upon you guys.

Enjoyed the read and sorry about your buddy.

If I have anything to offer, hit up big grove brewery in Iowa city if you’re taking 80 back east. Easy eddy and the bacon jam fondue fries hit different. Safe travels back!

Wow, you are having your share of troubles - sorry about your friend. Hopefully you made it home safe.