Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skiing and sailing, sailing and skiing.

What ski towns have the best sailboat racing scene in the summer? I miss racing boats.

I heard SLC has a growing Melges 24 fleet and a decent Laser fleet. Columbia River Gorge is always windy so their have to have people racing? What about Reno and Lake Tahoe?

I’m making looking for one design racing in 3-4 person boats, Lightnings, Melges 20/24, Viper, J70, in that size range, but I’m open to anything that’s one design.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lake Dillon in Summit County has a pretty full schedule. https://dillonyachtclub.com/fleets

Hood River has some sort of weekly evening race event April to Oct. As a non sailor, I couldn't tell you what type of boat.
    You could probably figure it out from the Hood River yacht club page.

Sandpoint Idaho

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Sandpoint Idaho

Curious what makes you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    What ski towns have the best sailboat racing scene in the summer? I miss racing boats.

I heard SLC has a growing Melges 24 fleet and a decent Laser fleet. Columbia River Gorge is always windy so their have to have people racing? What about Reno and Lake Tahoe?

I’m making looking for one design racing in 3-4 person boats, Lightnings, Melges 20/24, Viper, J70, in that size range, but I’m open to anything that’s one design.

idk much about sailboats, but there is stuff like that here in Tahoe, and we got a big ol’ lake for ya

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Curious what makes you think that?
    Idk, big lake. Just throwing it out there.

Edit: turns out there is sailboat racing on Lake Pend Oreille. A lot

Lake Delta Yacht Club is the best spot fer yer lightning races in the upstates…..

Name:  18271DF7-A6C4-4A9F-8FA3-BBD67379F5B8.jpeg
Views: 1373
Size:  77.7 KB
    Name:  4D48AAA1-6F90-4AA3-9E9B-7FF93185C7F1.jpeg
Views: 1345
Size:  43.2 KB

http://ldyc.com/

https://romesentinel.com/stories/are...ke-delta,42058

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Idk, big lake. Just throwing it out there.

Edit: turns out there is sailboat racing on Lake Pend Oreille. A lot

It’s on the south end and not as much as one would think. Summers here have very few wind events. Couple friends of friends are members of LPOYC and most of the races/cruise schedules are under motor assistance. There are times when the lake can be epic sailing tho. Just depends on how much a person would expect to be sailing vs motoring.

Lake Champlain seems to have a fair amount of racing.

Mallets Bay Boat Club has Lasers, Lightnings, and J/24s (and maybe PHRF): https://mbbc-vt.org
    Lake Champlain Yacht Club has PHRF, singlehanded dinghies (Laser and RS Aero), and Sportboats (J/70, Melges 20, Melges 24, Rocket 22, Seascape 24, Viper 640, VX One): https://lcyc.info
    Shelburne Yacht Club has PHRF: https://www.shyc.ca/
    Community Sailing has had Friday night 420 racing in the past, hoping they do it again this summer: https://communitysailingcenter.org/

There are some longer distance day and overnight regattas too, spread across the above clubs.

I may have missed an Etchells fleet in there somewhere.

Thanks guys! This is all great. I should of said my preference is for out west. If I’m moving back east to sail, I’ll move back to Buffalo, NY and race PHRF with my dad and Lightning’s at the Buffalo Canoe Club.

I need to check out Lake Dillon more, as well as the Columbia River areas. Those seem like the best options.

Thanks guys! This is all great. I should of said my preference is for out west. If I’m moving back east to sail, I’ll move back to Buffalo, NY and race PHRF with my dad and Lightning’s at the Buffalo Canoe Club.

I need to check out Lake Dillon more, as well as the Columbia River areas. Those seem like the best options.

AEV, it’s weird, sailors and skiing usually go hand in hand, yet Lake Tahoe doesn’t seem to have much racing. I think it’s a water depth for the marinas issues. My sister and bro in law are in south lake and all the marinas seem to have draft issues. Can’t really have anything deeper then 5ish feet. Any more and on a low year you won’t be able to get into/out of your slip.

You might also check out Flathead Lake South of Kalispell. Seems like I've seen boats in racing formations, but I have no experience to know what class they are. Just north of Lakeside is a club/marina that I see when driving. Elmo Bay (of Flathead) also seems to have lots of sailboats. I learned to windsurf in that area and it is known for decent winds.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

If you're on the Front Range, Chatfield has some racing going on, including my favorite the J/22: https://csyc.org/

Oh, and it looks like Grand Lake has a few fleets too: https://www.grandlakeyachtclub.com/Fleet

There's Sail PC in Park City. https://sailpc.org/ I can't speak much to the quality of sailing, but they have a decently sized junior program from what I heard a few years ago. Adult racing looks minimal

The wind on the Columbia River absolutely rips and it has world class sailing. But it’s really narrow and more of a windsurf/ kite type of place.

My son and his girl will be there all of July on foils.
    You don’t really see a lot of bigger boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    The wind on the Columbia River absolutely rips and it has world class sailing. But it’s really narrow and more of a windsurf/ kite type of place.

My son and his girl will be there all of July on foils.
    You don’t really see a lot of bigger boats.
    I think I might just get a foiling Moth or Waszp and forget about big boats for a while, or at least until I can afford my own, or the J70 (a boat) gets their shit together with the cheating.

Maybe I’ll run into them some day on the Columbia River

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    There's Sail PC in Park City. https://sailpc.org/ I can't speak much to the quality of sailing, but they have a decently sized junior program from what I heard a few years ago. Adult racing looks minimal
    There is or was a weeknight grown up racing series there. I think it was lasers or something else small?

The wind is pretty good on the Jordanelle.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Richmond Yacht Club and every other club from the delta to the bay in SF.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Richmond Yacht Club and every other club from the delta to the bay in SF.
    This is the answer.

The Morrison's have an express on Tahoe but have brought it down to Richmond for the summer season to race. Not a bad drive and SF sailing is unparalleled if you like getting the shit kicked out of you on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    This is the answer.

The Morrison's have an express on Tahoe but have brought it down to Richmond for the summer season to race. Not a bad drive and SF sailing is unparalleled if you like getting the shit kicked out of you on the water.
    The whole living in the Bay Area thing doesn’t sound great though, unless the housing prices have dropped drastically.

I’ll rephrase “shit kicked out of you” to “have a blast cause it’s actually windy.”

Fern Ridge Eugene Oregon. Big shallow lake. Was looking bad for this season, but the current storm cycle could change that.

This thread is a year old... but skibrd, where did you end up?

Fwiw cascade locks in the gorge used to have a 49er and laser fleet.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    This thread is a year old... but skibrd, where did you end up?

Fwiw cascade locks in the gorge used to have a 49er and laser fleet.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Still tbd? Um…. Left JH, looking for a job that offered either good skiing or good sailing. As time goes I’m getting less and less picky.