Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What knee pads for what type of riding JONG question

So I’ve bitten off the mtb bike again after putting it down for a decade. Had a spill mostly due to me riding too fast and aggressive and came
    Down fairly hard. I got lucky with my right knee. So no I want to buy guards.

I’ve researched and tried on a bunch, so don’t really need that info.

I’m just trying to figure out the correct amount of protection. I know I don’t want plastic. But not sure if I need a heavy duty Raid or Launch either.

I’ve seen reviews that compare pads to how much travel is on your bike, and I get where they are going, but that just seems dumb. A rock hit at a certain velocity is the same regardless of what bike you are on.

I. ride a huge variety of trails on a hardtail. A typical ride includes 1000’ climb followed by XC climbs and downs, then a 800’ downhill followed by a climb and then another like that followed by a long down hill with a few short but challenging climbs to exit.

My buddy says just go for protection. Having never ridden in pads, not sure how the bigger pads will fee with lots of ups and downs. And if I’ll be inclined to wear them when hanging with the kids. OTOH, the light sleeves seem really light. Some have a thin d30 piece but not much else. They also look like they can tear more easily.

I know there is a general knee pad thread from a few years ago, but how does one decide on pads compared to the trails they ride?

We don’t have a lot of rocks, but I missed a good one by less than an inch 10 days ago.

If you're doing a lot of climbing and dealing with warm temps, you'll likely want to go with something more minimal with a d30 pad. For me, anything beefier/hotter than that and I just wind up not wearing it for all my rides, so then they don't do any good anyway. I have a buddy that stashes his pads in his pack for the uphill so that could be an option for you, but I hardly ever wear a pack anymore.

Not sure what you are asking, but I ride with knee pads almost all the time. I have found those with EVO type padding fit/protect better without the hassle of plastic.

I really like my ixs flow zip knee pads. Zip them off and put them on the bars for long climbs. Not too hot if I keep them on. Fit perfect. That said, I have found knee pad fit is very specific to people. Fingers crossed, no big impact, but soft material is supposed to firm up on impact.

Prior to these, I had the G-Form Elite Knee Guards. Found them a little warm, have to take off shoes to put on, and 1 would not stay up. Seems I don't have luck with knee pads that don't have a left/right. But if you are planning to ride in the park, they have good protection.

I like the gform. Light in the pack and provide good protection. Have used on the up and it was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

The Scott Mission Evo ones are good for general trail riding. Lightweight, comfortable, and not too hot.

I’ve been riding with Pearl Izumi Elevate’s for the past few months. I wanted something that I could pedal in, they are perfect in that regard, vented front, open back of knee, light, stretchy.... You can remove the pad and wash them... I did 15mi / 3000vert with them on this morning. I highly recommend them.

I had older gforms before. I didn’t like how they pedaled.... And taking your shoe off to put them on at the top sucks.... So I never used them (and banged up my knees pretty bad a few times)

I see a lot of people pedal with beefier pads around their ankles. I’ve never tried that, but seems pretty unappetizing to me....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Also a fan of the IXS Flow Zip. Protection is minimal but more than adequate for trail riding. Comfy enough to leave on, but easy to take on/off on big rides.

I have bigger pads for DH and such. They suck to pedal in for very long.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

There is a thread all about this stuff

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...58#post6025858
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I've been riding with some POC VPD Airs for about 6 years and love them. They certainly don't pedal the best on flat terrain, but are still comfy for the amount of protection they offer. Generally most of the rides I do in Santa Cruz involve a long climb followed by a descent (Demo, UC, Wilder, etc.) So on the fireroads up I will leave them down around my ankles and then pull them up to my knees for the down. On trails like old cabin in Wilder with a bit of up and a bit of down I will leave them on the whole time.

As someone who's tried and discarded probably close to a dozen different knee pads over the last several years, my biggest advice is to get something your local shop carries. Like most stuff, fit trumps everything. Trying them on won't tell you if they're going to chafe, but they'll at least tell you if they're too loose or too tight, and how much coverage they have.

My personal favorites right now are Chromag Rifts and TLD Stages. I just did a 19.5 mile / 4,000 ft day in the Stages with no irritation or adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    As someone who's tried and discarded probably close to a dozen different knee pads over the last several years, my biggest advice is to get something your local shop carries. Like most stuff, fit trumps everything. Trying them on won't tell you if they're going to chafe, but they'll at least tell you if they're too loose or too tight, and how much coverage they have.
    This.

Fit matters most. Beyond that, and as with pretty much everything pad related, get the burliest, most protective knee pads that you're willing to wear / put up with for the riding you do. It's all a spectrum of sweatiness and discomfort while pedaling vs. protection.

I actually went on a test ride yesterday to break in and see just how terrible it would be to pedal in some new Fox launch pro d30s.

First impressions: putting them on in the lot they are bulky, really bulky. Once pedaling though, not really that bad. They pinched a little bit, hoping that changes as they break in more. I could also have probably not done up the velcro as tight for the up, so will give that a try next time. Otherwise, I'm not going to say they are unnoticeable, but are pretty dang inconspicuous. Didn't even give them a second thought on the down. FWIW, they breathed pretty well too. It was hot, about 90F, and never got too warm in them. No chaffing either.

All that said, I didn't get these for regular trail riding. Was just curious to see how they would perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post

My personal favorites right now are Chromag Rifts and TLD Stages. I just did a 19.5 mile / 4,000 ft day in the Stages with no irritation or adjustment.
    you expect me to actulay show up at an LBS in person and try shit on,

you expect me to buy something in person ?

even pay list with no code ?

next yer gona tell me it all fits different

fuck

hope I don't hit something and get all fucked up from not having padz while waiting for a deal
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I wear my IXS flow+ slip on knee pads every time I ride. They are hotter than not wearing pads but crashing in them hurts a lot less. Normal ride is 5-10 miles with 1000-2500' of climbing. Like everyone else says; buy the burliest thing that fits you and you will wear whenever you ride.

Best advice on here is buy what fits and buy as thick as you are comfortable peddling in.

I’ve been cruising the LbS trying on pads, like I said in the OP. Bought several pairs from the LBS to wear while in the living room and peddling around the cul de sac.

Ended up with the Launch D30. Probably will end up with a second much lighter pair for when riding with the kids and wife when we are really just doing XC.

Love the beefy pad on the DH around here even if it is likely overkill for 85% of the terrain. Don’t want to fuck my knees and be unable to ski or surf.

They are warm. Or warmer than the sleeves I tried, but not a huge difference. And I like that they are easy to pull down if I want them off my knee.

I agree that fit is everything. I actually ended up with these as I could not find a sleeve that fit me well (fox enduro, tld stage, etc). I’ll likey try on other sleeves when I find them in different LBS. these just seemed to fit my leg and knee shape the best through the entire peddle stroke as well as walking around.

They are beefy tho. But really liked having that when biking around Kirkwood and Mammoth last week which are both way rockier and way sharper of terrain than the SC redwood zone which is mostly rounded sandstone. And more roots than rocks.

Thanks for the advice on fit. Being a newb to biking again, the marketing is intense. It made not sense to read”this pad will work well up to 160mm of rear travel”. As if the shock was what you were going to land on.

Now to decide if I want something like the Stage or more like the Speed for the second pad for light duty days.

Put in 2500’ and 20 miles on the launch and not discomfort. Pulled them down to the ankles for the final mile hime on the paved bike path but had them on the entire ride otherwise. Maybe 75F in/out of the woods.

Biking is fun. Now maybe I’ll upgrade my bike to match my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    If you're doing a lot of climbing and dealing with warm temps, you'll likely want to go with something more minimal with a d30 pad. For me, anything beefier/hotter than that and I just wind up not wearing it for all my rides, so then they don't do any good anyway. I have a buddy that stashes his pads in his pack for the uphill so that could be an option for you, but I hardly ever wear a pack anymore.
    This is my take as well. Most knee impacts seem to be bumps and scrapes as opposed to hard slams, so I wear the pads more for dealing with abrasion than impact.

I’ve been using some TLD Speed knee sleeves that work well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    This is my take as well. Most knee impacts seem to be bumps and scrapes as opposed to hard slams, so I wear the pads more for dealing with abrasion than impact.

That's actually what I've been wearing since last summer as well. Comfy enough that I wear them almost every time I ride.

My friend just broke his petella down at Harold Parker! I feel bad because I mentioned to him that I couldn't believe he didn't wear knee pads a while back. He's a trail builder and builds techy rock features! Prime conditions for knee pads.

My Leatt's failed and they just sent me a new pair, and now my Fox D30's seam just fell apart. I'm not having good luck these days with pads.

I never ride without pads. Never ever! I like my knees.

have a pair (Dakine Slayer) that is lightweight and minimal for trails with ups and downs, or for non rocky trails. I wear a halfshell helmet when i ride in these.

Have a burlier, bulkier pair (RaceFace Ambush) for shuttle days or bikepark, that oddly are borderline more comfortable to pedal in, but also much warmer. I typically only wear these when i know im gonna crash that day, and/or when im wearing a fullface and elbow pads as well.

these have very good reviews: https://www.evo.com/body-armor/7idp-...RoC_foQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    My friend just broke his petella down at Harold Parker! I feel bad because I mentioned to him that I couldn't believe he didn't wear knee pads a while back. He's a trail builder and builds techy rock features! Prime conditions for knee pads.

My Leatt's failed and they just sent me a new pair, and now my Fox D30's seam just fell apart. I'm not having good luck these days with pads.

I never ride without pads. Never ever! I like my knees.
    on the other hand think about how you knees would look without padz ?

I would fix that with Aqua seal, I would proabaly pull the fabric up into place stick it with some pins to keep it in place slatehr on AQS, after it cures over night pull the pine out and maybe another thin coat

I have the Dakine Slayer, they have an assymetrical fit and they fit which is important for a sleeve with no straps to adjust, I remember looking at a wall of padz trying on several different brands and then 2 sizes of those brands, they fit ok and I like them

Is there anything aqua sea can not fix?

But agree. Maybe sew then seal for added bondage.

Like the look of the Sam Hill, and reviews but can’t find any in the many LBS in this town. Mostly just fox, tld and dakine around here.

I fix 100 drysuits a year with NO thread eva, if you can hold something in place long enough for the AQS to cure ... bob's yer uncle

when all you got is a hammer everything looks like a nail

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Is there anything aqua sea can not fix?

But agree. Maybe sew then seal for added bondage.

Like the look of the Sam Hill, and reviews but can’t find any in the many LBS in this town. Mostly just fox, tld and dakine around here.
    Yeah, I use seam grip for a ton of stuff, but these pads are barely a month old. Fox is going to send me a new pair! I'm tired of paying top dollar for shit! These corporations need to make better products and be held accountable when they don't.

Leatt told me to send the pads back but didn't give me a call tag. So I bitched and then they paid the outgoing shipping. So tired of just wanting decent customer service for something you paid for.

Santa Cruz bikes is the one company that goes above and beyond every time for me. As long as they don't sell again to some idiots I'll never buy a different brand. Well, they don't make fat bikes, so aside from a fatty I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, I use seam grip for a ton of stuff, .
    is ^^ also liquid ureathane, its a thinner version of AQS/ shoo goo/ freesole

for a knee pad that needs to take a shit kicking I wouldn't have designed them with a thin covering of fabric so looking at how a pad is made is also important

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post

Yeah, I think that's one of the issues with a lot of the lightweight pads. You wear them to protect for minor falls / washouts to protect from abrasion, but the lightweight pads tend to just disintegrate in these scenarios and let you get scraped anyways. Ironically, the light D30 type pads are probably much better at dealing with medium size direct impacts from a rock than they are at simple spills (like front wheel washing out on flat corner). They need more overlap between the burlier face fabric over the insert and the stretchy sock material - otherwise that seem just fails and the reinforced insert part peels back.

I can't say whether it's just the industry designers being stupid, or just trying to rake in money by making them a consumable. My gut tells me both.

The TLD Stages I just started using are by far the most comfortable and breathable light pad I've used, but I'm certain these fuckers are going to disintegrate the first time I go down in a washout.