Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 102
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    13,808
    https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...ement-officers

    A good read.
    I miss Barney fife.

    The best police officers in this country don’t act like mindless automatons. Cops who robotically enforce every law on the books seldom accomplish anything useful besides generating measurable statistics to please a supervisor. “Law Enforcement” shouldn’t be the goal of a good police officer. In fact most officers would be far better off if “enforcing the law” became a much lower priority in their day-to-day patrol activities. What? Read on. I will try to explain what I have learned from some of the best officers on the planet and in my own experience being a cop for 23 years.



    In many states, cops aren’t statutorily designated as “law enforcement officers.” They are more properly classified as “Peace Officers.” We are charged with keeping the peace in the community and protecting our residents from both hazards and criminals. We use the law as a tool to help us accomplish the goal of keeping the peace. Cops who mindlessly “enforce the law” may or may not accomplish the goal of “keeping the peace.” It’s a crap shoot.



    If a community has an issue with armed robberies, cops writing lots of speeding tickets aren’t likely solving the problem. Sure, occasionally these cops will pull over and arrest an armed robber for a traffic violation, but it is a hit or miss opportunity. In most cases, trying to enforce all the laws on the books causes an officer to waste his time targeting people who aren’t really causing true problems in the community. It keeps him from doing the meaningful work of keeping his jurisdiction a peaceful place.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    9,374
    Uh, cops don’t prevent violent crime, they respond after the fact. Often when responding to a violent crime they wind up causing more violence. That’s the situation currently. That’s not to say things weren’t different in the past or could change in the future. It’s a reactionary institution.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,437
    I think the police narrative is that they prevent crime by locking up criminals…so the time spent incarcerated is time they’re not committing crimes.

    Very flawed, but that’s what they all think; and if you’re simple enough to think like that, a complex analysis of why that’s very flawed doesn’t help.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    This thread is moving along exactly how I thought it would.
    Give yourself a big pat on the back.

    The cops are supposed to behave goodly. Serve and protect ya know. It's not supposed to be news. It's news when they don't.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    24,214
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I think the police narrative is that they prevent crime by locking up criminals…so the time spent incarcerated is time they’re not committing crimes.

    Very flawed, but that’s what they all think; and if you’re simple enough to think like that, a complex analysis of why that’s very flawed doesn’t help.
    in the small town where I live they spend all their time dealing with the same 30 people, in a bigger town 4 hrs east where the 2 jails are it becomes the same 100 people

    these people become known-to-police, they talk about them at coffee deal with the files and that is their job
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    814
    WORCESTER (CBS) – A Worcester Police officer and a 14-year-old boy drowned in Green Hill Pond on Friday afternoon. The police officer, 38-year-old Enmanuel “Manny” Familia, was attempting to save the boy.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ied/ar-AAKIl2Q

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    9,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...ement-officers

    A good read.
    I miss Barney fife.

    The best police officers in this country don’t act like mindless automatons. Cops who robotically enforce every law on the books seldom accomplish anything useful besides generating measurable statistics to please a supervisor. “Law Enforcement” shouldn’t be the goal of a good police officer. In fact most officers would be far better off if “enforcing the law” became a much lower priority in their day-to-day patrol activities. What? Read on. I will try to explain what I have learned from some of the best officers on the planet and in my own experience being a cop for 23 years.



    In many states, cops aren’t statutorily designated as “law enforcement officers.” They are more properly classified as “Peace Officers.” We are charged with keeping the peace in the community and protecting our residents from both hazards and criminals. We use the law as a tool to help us accomplish the goal of keeping the peace. Cops who mindlessly “enforce the law” may or may not accomplish the goal of “keeping the peace.” It’s a crap shoot.



    If a community has an issue with armed robberies, cops writing lots of speeding tickets aren’t likely solving the problem. Sure, occasionally these cops will pull over and arrest an armed robber for a traffic violation, but it is a hit or miss opportunity. In most cases, trying to enforce all the laws on the books causes an officer to waste his time targeting people who aren’t really causing true problems in the community. It keeps him from doing the meaningful work of keeping his jurisdiction a peaceful place.
    You miss Barney Fife? Barney was the law enforcement officer from your article. Andy Taylor would be the peace officer.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    13,808
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You miss Barney Fife? Barney was the law enforcement officer from your article. Andy Taylor would be the peace officer.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    True

    After I posted that I was thinking shit, I should have said Andy Taylor.

    Otoh. Barney only had one bullet. Maybe that’s the answer.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    7,926
    So many tough guys in this thread.

    How many of you wouldn't call 911 if someone broke into your garage and just handle shit on your own? You guys all ready to defend yourselves, your families and your property all by yourself if your wish were granted and cops just went away?

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    uTardedland
    Posts
    11,187
    ‘Merica!

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    So many tough guys in this thread.

    How many of you wouldn't call 911 if someone broke into your garage and just handle shit on your own? You guys all ready to defend yourselves, your families and your property all by yourself if your wish were granted and cops just went away?
    Well that's their job. I don't think anyone would have a problem with the police if they did their jobs and didn't do stuff that is not their job.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    9,374
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    So many tough guys in this thread.

    How many of you wouldn't call 911 if someone broke into your garage and just handle shit on your own? You guys all ready to defend yourselves, your families and your property all by yourself if your wish were granted and cops just went away?

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    You know cops aren’t going to respond to a home invasion or burglary until after the fact for the most part. They might find the perpetrators but they don’t prevent those crimes.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    11,078

    Police behaving goodly

    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    So many tough guys in this thread.

    How many of you wouldn't call 911 if someone broke into your garage and just handle shit on your own? You guys all ready to defend yourselves, your families and your property all by yourself if your wish were granted and cops just went away?

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    7,926
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Well that's their job. I don't think anyone would have a problem with the police if they did their jobs and didn't do stuff that is not their job.
    Do you think it possible that most of them do just that?

    I'm no police apologist. I think many officers have done horrendous shit and in some cases there is a culture of violence and sometimes racism. Fuck those guys in their mouths.

    I also think the majority are spending their lives performing a God-awful service for a thankless community while doing the best they can given an incredibly frightening lack of training. If they're not ex military, they're grossly under trained for conflict and scared shitless. If they're ex military, they're likely overconfident and conditioned by different environments with different rules. None of them are properly trained in either de-escalation nor propper situational weapons training. Not in this country.

    The whole binary thing where all cops are bad people is foolish, just like all cops are heros is equally dumb. Whether you care to admit it or not, we rely on them doing a job none of us could or would do. Unfortunately some of them are horrible human beings.

    For that reason I think it's appropriate to recognize those officers who go above and beyond in their service, even if you think "it's their job."



    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    8,931
    I think you are forgetting that the bad actors, who you want to fuck in the mouth nttawwt, are almost always being protected by the law enforcement institution and justice system and get away with many / most infractions even when caught.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    12,540
    im with the rev on leos there are a lot of good ones
    especially dnr and rangers
    but your not a a good cop
    if you protect bad cops
    or act like it isnt your/a problem
    fuck the blue line
    accountability matters
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,437
    The police are being pushed by local politics to be assholes to non-criminals about non-crimes in my neighborhood. One older cop was initially a dick to me, but then just kind of lost steam and we talked for a long time…he’s about to retire, can’t believe they expect him to go around harassing people who aren’t causing trouble, is frustrated because people react poorly to harassment and it makes his day suck.

    Later, another young cop did the same thing but didn’t relent or break character or explain anything about how they’re being pushed to harass us.

    It was the burnt out cop saying “fuck it” that was the one who did the better job. Think about that! Think about what that says about the way that job is structured, they’re in a position where they’re being pushed to make trouble where there was no trouble, and the only ones willing to do the right thing are the ones unwilling to follow orders.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,049
    How do you have this many interactions with cops?

    I haven't talked to a cop in years and I'm just some guy who likes to ski and walk his dog like you.
    Live Free or Die

  19. #44
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    15,318
    Surprised OP didn’t start this off with a blue line flag…

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    24,214
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    How do you have this many interactions with cops?

    I haven't talked to a cop in years and I'm just some guy who likes to ski and walk his dog like you.
    I also have wondered this ^^ about some of the TGR types here on line

    last time i talked to a Cop was at the coffee shop, a guy I know from skiing & running saw
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,437
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    How do you have this many interactions with cops?

    I haven't talked to a cop in years and I'm just some guy who likes to ski and walk his dog like you.
    I live in one of the most over-policed places I’ve ever seen. It’s a small town with essentially no crime and like 30 police swarming around with nothing to do. That foments a culture of Karens who call 911 about anything and everything, and police who encourage that because they don’t want their budgets cut and the karens are their bread and butter so they indulge all those calls.

    We have 25,000 people and: state police post, county sheriff hq, city pd, campus police, 2 different township PDs, 2 adjacent city PDs, tribal police, park patrol, forest service, and state dnr. Add to that, and the karens, a town full of people who currently work at or are retired from a prison…so they have a jittery, cop-calling mentality. It’s a lot. All those cops have families, families full of entitled Karens who both get away with murder and call police for anything and everything.

    If I remember tomorrow I’ll try to keep track of how many cops I see in a day, you do the same and we’ll see what it looks like.

    So that’s part of it, the other part is that I’m 6’3 250, so people start out threatened by me before we even interact. So if some lady has a dog at the beach, maybe nothing happens. But if I do, everybody takes a different approach. Some guy runs his stupid ass e-trike into me and I’m an assailant.

    Today, after like 30 various other people uneventfully rode bikes past me and my dog on the bike path, some douche instead of riding around us on the 8 feet of pavement I left him, rode right at me, slowed down and said “next time try walking on the right side asshole”, I immediately said “just steer your bike around me you fucking retard”

    So that’s life in a small Michigan college/prison town desperately marketing itself as a destination for retirees. There’s a two-tier system where tourists/retirees and college kids can get stumbling shitfaced and do whatever, wherever and the police act like a 5 star concierge getting them back to the condo or the dorm, then they save all that cop energy and take it out on the few working-class people who haven’t been run out of town to the outskirts yet.

    It’s complicated, you asked a quick simplistic question with a big complicated answer. It’s not something I can break down in some snappy one-liner.

    It’s not just me, lots of people I know live in the outskirts and say they’d never live in town. My parents…actually almost everyone I know.

    Edit-cop count since I posted this an hour and 15 mins ago: drove 10 miles in a work rig and rode mc 5 miles home from work and ran the moped to the corner store for eggs: 4 cops…one state, one campus, one city, one sheriff.

    Moar edit (no thread bump):
    Saturday: 11 cops. 11th sitting across from my house when I get home from work, drives away when I back into driveway.

    Sunday: mostly stayed home and did chores and worked in the garage. No cops!

    Today so far: 9, first of the day walked the entire empty beach near my house to come to my end and guard the beach against me walking my dog, then went back to her patrol truck and drove past me back and forth twice before giving up.
    And we’re ending the day with 13. 12 was the same park patrol following me to the beach again to sit there watching other people with a loose dog, then sit there staring at me, the only person at the beach, until I went home.
    13 was when I was working off my frustration just now by filling the pothole at the end of my driveway. A pothole the city continually sweeps/pressure-washes so it’s a big gaping motorcycle-tire-grabber. So while I was filling that, the city PD came and shone their spotlight on me, then drove away when I walked over toward him to introduce myself and explain what I was doing.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 06-14-2021 at 09:11 PM.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,437
    Yesterday I go walk my dog at the empty summer college campus. I get to this parking lot with a construction project and a cop idling in the empty parking lot. Guy (black guy) comes out of the construction dust where they were cutting cinder blocks, like “heyyy haven’t seen you at the beach lately!”… I remember him and his gf and their nice dog. I tell him about the police harassment, he says that cop has been watching him do his carpentry work for a week…came over, gave him the 3rd degree the first day, sits there watching him work for 4 more days.

    I walk over through a pedestrian only area, and at the other side, this same cop has driven over to the other side of campus to stare at me walking back to my truck.

    This is what it’s like. Honestly, I think I’m probably not going to be able to explain well enough to fully understand…and even just trying makes me frustrated because it’s just something you have to experience to understand.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    13,814
    Sucks, but your tale makes sense with all of that nonsense. Too many cops.

    So I'm parked in the park after dark with a hottie and just get to 2nd base when a pair of cops on Harleys pull up. One cop comes over to the passenger side and in conversation asks the lady "Do you know this guy?" She says yes. "Do you trust this guy?" She say's yes. Cop walks away and I start the car to go. Cop walks back and says "You don't have to leave." But that was back in '66.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    4,036
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yesterday I go walk my dog at the empty summer college campus. I get to this parking lot with a construction project and a cop idling in the empty parking lot. Guy (black guy) comes out of the construction dust where they were cutting cinder blocks, like “heyyy haven’t seen you at the beach lately!”… I remember him and his gf and their nice dog. I tell him about the police harassment, he says that cop has been watching him do his carpentry work for a week…came over, gave him the 3rd degree the first day, sits there watching him work for 4 more days.

    I walk over through a pedestrian only area, and at the other side, this same cop has driven over to the other side of campus to stare at me walking back to my truck.

    This is what it’s like. Honestly, I think I’m probably not going to be able to explain well enough to fully understand…and even just trying makes me frustrated because it’s just something you have to experience to understand.


    i hear the skiing suck there too. so, why not move? gotta be a better situation for you somewhere else?

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    one of those gaper mountain towns
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Uh, cops don’t prevent violent crime, they respond after the fact. Often when responding to a violent crime they wind up causing more violence. That’s the situation currently. That’s not to say things weren’t different in the past or could change in the future. It’s a reactionary institution.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Oh, so when the folks called 911 the other day to report a man flipping out in public and violently shaking his 3 month old, the cops who responded and arrested him weren’t preventing a violent crime? Got it.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •