Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Concorde is Back!

Kinda.

United to buy 15 supersonic jets from startup Boom

The shitty part? You still have to fly on United.
    I still call it The Jake.

Weeeeeeeeee!

Hartsfield to Vail or Jackson would be what, 45 mins?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Right? Someone tell EGE to lengthen their runway.

And that I'll be expecting my complimentary chocolate chip cookies a bit earlier next season.

"Boom" doesn't seem like a very auspicious name for a plane company. I know they're trying to be cute with sonic boom, but still.

Nothing inspires confidence like hearing "supersonic aircraft" and "startup" in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Nothing inspires confidence like hearing "supersonic aircraft" and "startup" in the same sentence.
    And "boom".

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    "Boom" doesn't seem like a very auspicious name for a plane company. I know they're trying to be cute with sonic boom, but still.
    Especially when a big part of your marketing pitch is how quiet your planes are: https://blog.boomsupersonic.com/the-...r-f98a6dfaf485

Today we'll be able to watch a live stream from inside as it crashes into a fire ball. Progress!

I like how their render looks like it came straight out of MS Flight Simulator 98. You'd think they could do something a bit more photorealistic than that with all their gazillions in that sweet startup cash. My guess is Boom is going to end up as vaporware. And seriously. "Boom"? Yeah. Somebody needs to be fired over that name. Prolly some young "industry disrupting" tech doosh.

What’s the mpg per passenger?

I thought we were burning too much gas already

Oh wait. That never applies to the rich.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    I like how their render looks like it came straight out of MS Flight Simulator 98. You'd think they could do something a bit more photorealistic than that with all their gazillions in that sweet startup cash. My guess is Boom is going to end up as vaporware. And seriously. "Boom"? Yeah. Somebody needs to be fired over that name. Prolly some young "industry disrupting" tech doosh.
    Dude, Adam Neumann walked away from the WeWork fiasco a billionaire. There's billions of dollars being thrown at companies with zero profit potential for years. If these people are smart, they'll be watching you ski by from their slopeside hot tub in five years. It's an awesome modern scam.

This has to be some kind of tax write off for United, or sympathy for a fuckup brother-in-law of some C level executive at United. Boeing struggles for two years to get the 737 max recertified and United is just going to buy 15 supersonic planes from a company that doesn't even have a functional model, nevermind actually ever building anything? Yeah, I'm gonna just jump right on one of those birds.

Is there really that much venture capital out there for horrifically terrible ideas? Maybe I have this "working" thing all wrong and I just need a halfass graphic designer to come up with some pretty pictures, a pie in the sky sales pitch, then I take other people's money and run.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    This has to be some kind of tax write off for United, or sympathy for a fuckup brother-in-law of some C level executive at United. Boeing struggles for two years to get the 737 max recertified and United is just going to buy 15 supersonic planes from a company that doesn't even have a functional model, nevermind actually ever building anything? Yeah, I'm gonna just jump right on one of those birds.

Is there really that much venture capital out there for horrifically terrible ideas? Maybe I have this "working" thing all wrong and I just need a halfass graphic designer to come up with some pretty pictures, a pie in the sky sales pitch, then I take other people's money and run.
    Have you considered the benefits of fractional ownership of my new supersonic jet fleet?

In.

I have no doubt an SST designed now would be quite a bit more efficient than Concorde, but the question would be: how much more? There are serious questions about the economic viability of an airplane like this.

it’s just cheap pr. People are talking about United at the cost of a meeting and a contract that they’ll probably never have to make good on, and if they do, will be favorable.

Yes.

This is what happens in an over decade long zero interest rate economy. And Bitcoin.

I wonder if there will be the customary champagne service on this new SSJ?

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Well, since old fashioned subsonic air travel has become such a shitshow--city buses are a more pleasant way to travel--don't discount the desire of people who have the means to travel this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Well, since old fashioned subsonic air travel has become such a shitshow--city buses are a more pleasant way to travel--don't discount the desire of people who have the means to travel this way.
    There's definitely a healthy market for luxury air travel. People who already fly Emirates, Virgin Atlantic, etc. will happily pay whatever it costs to get places in a fraction of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What shitshow?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elvaram...h=7bc07047aea6

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Mini bottles sold in the airport are back!

What could possibly go wrong????

Name:  0.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  17.5 KB
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Mini bottles sold in the airport are back!
    Down here in God's country I'm not sure they ever left.

I have a dop kit that I keep loaded and just toss in my carryon for short trips. Two weeks ago when I got to my destination and was unpacking I found the two mini-bottles of Woodford I stashed in there who knows how long ago. That would have been good information to have as that particular Delta flight had not yet restarted cabin service in coach.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Name:  0.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  17.5 KB
    Coming in hot.