rfconroy's 110+ mm ski reviews

Hey Folks,
    I went through quite of few pairs of skis this season, and wanted to share my findings with the rest of you, and describe how they compare/contrast. Figured since many of us on here like trying out new things, it may be a good way to help highlight some comparisons on some older models that are out there.

Let me know what you ya'll think.

4FRNT KYE 110/Uptrack Col
    Length: 181cm
    Underfoot: 110mm
    Stated Weight: 2000g

Bindings Used: Marker KP13
    Boots Used: Dynafit Titan, Dynafit Vulcan, Salomon MTN Lab, Dalbello Lupo 130C, and Dynafit Hoji
    Days Used: 50+?

Summary:
    These skis are going on three seasons for me, and has been my primary touring ski during that time.

Overall this ski is incredibly predictable. I believe this is down to its relatively heavy weight, and mellow side cut profile. The side cut profile allows the ski to not be overly "hooky" in denser snow, and allows the user to slarve turns, but in firm snow/groomers, you can get this ski on edge and it carves fairly well. For the weight, at 2000g its not the lightest thing to tour on, but that added mass is made up for in mixed conditions, as this ski is composed at speed while mashing through snow of different types.

Playfulness:
    In the air, it easy to spin and move around, while its relative forward mount gives the skier plenty of tail to absorb impact. Additionally, the tails are not overly stiff which allows butters and power slashes to be pretty easy to do.

Issues:
    I've found in deeper, heavier snow, these skis don't plane above the snow as much as one would think a 110mm waisted ski would. This requires the skier to ski straighter and in order to get the floatation needed. Additionally, when landing in deeper snow the tips tend to dive more than other skis that I've tried, which has resulted in several OTB moments. Therefore it's always a little bit of a learning curve needing to remember to land more back-biased in Cascade Concrete.

Final Thought:
    Great ski, that I don't think I'd ever sell...Unless the WNDR Intention 110 hits these same notes, which on paper seems like it may.

Line Supernatural 115
    Length: 186 cm
    Underfoot: 115mm
    Stated Weight: 2370g

Bindings Used: Marker Jester ID
    Boots Used: Dalbello Lupo SP
    Days Used: 3

Summary:

I picked these up earlier this year, as all the reviews I had ever seen on the Supernatural seems to fit my skiing style; heavy, damp, chargy, ext. Additionally, after owning 3 pairs of Line Prophets back in the day, I was quite eager to try these things out.

I have never, never been on a ski that is this stable at speed. There were some straight-line that I did towards the end of the season, and I found myself needing to remember to turn, as the ski just felt composed without the need for it. Additionally, the relatively large shovels allow the ski to get on edge on firmer snow, and stick to that edge, making it super fun to carve when nuking back to the lift.

Playfulness:
    In short - it's not.
    The combination of the heavy weight, plus a traditional mount means that getting this thing around while in the air is challenging. Additionally, the tails are on the stiffer side, which means landings tend to be more jarring, and butters are harder to do as well.

Issues:
    It tighter conditions, or in larger/squarer bumps this ski really suffers. That same swing weight issue in the air, is also an issue when trying to get the tips around quickly. I found myself needing to adjust my stance and really drive the tips in order to get them to move where I needed them. This combined with the stiff tips, means that being on this ski is quite fatiguing, and after a full day on them I was pretty cooked.

Final Thought:
    If I lived somewhere that needed to straight-line out of everything, and I was under a budget, this ski would be on my short list. However, given my current skiing style I tolerated it, but wouldn't say it was my favorite.

J Ski Friend (V1):
    Length: 186CM
    Underfoot: 114mm
    Weight: 2350g

Bindings Used: Salomon STH2 13
    Boots Used: Dalbello Lupo 130C
    Days Used: ~1.5 days

Summary:
    Don't have a ton of days on these things yet and were purchased in the late spring, therefore no pow days on them as of yet. However, I do have two days on them over at Bachelor a coupla weeks back. In short, I would say Blister nailed it on their review; super playful ski, that can burn down groomers. Easy to slash, pop, and land big airs. However, once the snow begins to get variable they're easily knocked around, much more so than I would have expected from a 2300+g ski. Love the shape, and tails - just wish the tips were a tad stiffer.

...Which leads me to think that I would really enjoy the V2 version of these skis.

Armada JJ-2.0
    Length: 185CM
    Underfoot: 117mm
    Weight: 2290g

Bindings Used: Look Pivot 14, Marker Kingpin 13
    Boots Used: Dalbello Lupo SP, Lupo 130C, Salomon MTN Lab, Dynafit Hoji, Dynafit Titan
    Days Used: 50+ days

Summary:
    I've had these skis for quite a few seasons, and were my first pair of skis that were mounted in a fairly progressive (forward) mount point. Took some getting used to, but once I did it was weird going back. These skis are relatively stable at speed, but also super slarvy, meaning its really easy to slash and burn speed quite quickly with this ski. In addition, the ample amount of rocker, and fairly center mount the ski can pivot quickly, and turn on a dime. Lastly, while this ski isnt the stiffest out there, the taper on the tips allows this ski to be a blast in chopped pow, or heavy pow, as it can blast throw the snow more easily than other skis I've used.

Playfulness:
    Quite playful - easy to slash, pop, and spin. Additionally, tails are quite supportive and can assist on harder landings as well.

Issues:
    Had a couple of issues with these things:
    First - I had them completely delam behind the bindings. Unfortunately for me, I did a quiver killer mount on them, so Armada wouldn't warranty.

The stock tune on these skis was really harsh, and somewhat scary while at speed on groomers. They tended to bite in and not want to release from a turn. Since detuning (by skiing the shit out of them) it's been less of an issue, but it is still somewhat noticeable.

Final Thought:
    These skis have been my go-to skis for early season touring, and wet storm snow, as they float very easily, and are still playful. Just wished they didnt weigh as much as they do currently.

Rossignol Blackops 118 (Gamer)
    Length: 186CM
    Underfoot: 118mm
    Weight: 2450g

Bindings Used: Look Pivot 14
    Boots Used: Dalbello Lupo SP
    Days Used: 50+ days

Summary:
    What can I say about these skis, that hasn't already been said. For skiing in Western WA, they're a daily driver for me excellent on the deepest of days, with tons of camber underfoot for ripping groomers. I am consistently blown away on how much better these skis handle more mellow and groomed snow to skis closer to the 100mm range. Additionally, Rossi seems to have struck an awesome balance of stiffness, and mass, which allows these skis to eat mixed conditions when stuff begins to get skied out.

Playfulness:
    Poppy, relatively light in the air, not surfy though.

Issues:
    Only major issue thus far is the top sheets chip real easy.

Final Thought:
    If you ski a maritime snowpack, like skiing fast, and want a playful ski, I think you'd be hard pressed to find something better.

Comparisons: (TLDR)

Surfyness:
    Supernatural - Least
    BO 118
    Kye 110
    Friend 1.0
    JJ 2.0 - Most

Stability:
    Friend 1.0 - Least
    JJ 2.0
    Kye 110
    BO 118
    Supernatural - Most

Playfulness:
    Supernatural - Least
    Kye 110
    BO 118
    Friend 1.0
    JJ 2.0 - Most

Groomers/Carving:
    JJ 2.0 - Least
    Kye 110
    Supernatural
    Friend 1.0
    BO 118 - Most

Tail Support:
    Supernatural - Least
    Friend 1.0
    Kye 110
    JJ 2.0
    BO 118 - Most
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Nice reviews

Do you prefer the less tapered Black Ops shape over the more heavily tapered JJ in heavy, wet fresh snow?

I think in super wet snow the JJs are more fun, as they tend to plane more, and have a surfier feel overall. However, it takes a very specific type of snow for that to be the case. Overall, for storms I prefer the BO, but wish the tail had a tad more taper to let is slash easier.

www.experiencedgear.net

Have you skied a protest, billy goat, or jeffery 116?

Curious on how the JJ compares to a protest as they seem like popular surfy pow skis.

What about the BO vs a BG or Jeff 116? I'd guess its somewhat similar to a Jeff 116. BG has much more taper in the tail but seem like all 3 would do well in a wetter maritime snowpack. For someone who usually skis ~190cm, do you think the BO will feel short?

Never skied a ON3P or Praxis. Would love to get on a pair to try them out, but unfortunately I cannot provide any comparisons there.

Few years back I did almost buy a pair of BG from someone on here, and got to hand flex them and pick them up. To my recollection, they seem like they'd be similar to the SN 115; stiff and heavy - but with their sidecut profile maybe with a more surfy feel.

If some pairs become available at a reasonable price, I'd probably snag a pair to test out.

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Never skied a ON3P or Praxis. Would love to get on a pair to try them out, but unfortunately I cannot provide any comparisons there.

Few years back I did almost buy a pair of BG from someone on here, and got to hand flex them and pick them up. To my recollection, they seem like they'd be similar to the SN 115; stiff and heavy - but with their sidecut profile maybe with a more surfy feel.

If some pairs become available at a reasonable price, I'd probably snag a pair to test out.
    I can get you on 192 Protests or 191 OG Wrens in exchange for that BO 118 demo I want.

If you're local to Seattle I'd let you try them out, but given those things are my daily drivers I think I'd hold on to them for now...Although I have been toying with the idea of getting a new/fresh pair.

www.experiencedgear.net

If you're local to Seattle I'd let you try them out, but given those things are my daily drivers I think I'd hold on to them for now...Although I have been toying with the idea of getting a new/fresh pair.
    I am, we chatted about it a few weeks ago. 303 BSL. I'll hit you up next season!

conroy I got some 184 BGs you can try out next year too.

Pulling up an old thread.

Conroy have you skied BC Animas?

im being talked into McDonalds trays and it looks like the Animas and BO 118 are the best fit for me. I was hoping someone had compared the two.

Quote Originally Posted by RyansFaith View Post
    Pulling up an old thread.

Conroy have you skied BC Animas?

im being talked into McDonalds trays and it looks like the Animas and BO 118 are the best fit for me. I was hoping someone had compared the two.
    Brain no worky - took way too long than I would like to admit on the Macker's tray comment...

Never skied them, but on paper they look like they're somewhat similar: just a tad lighter, and slightly less progressive mount point, and smaller sidecut radius. So I think that will all add up to: quicker turns, easier to get sideways in the air, less stable at speed.

Based on what I am seeing there are a couple of things here: BO118 has a bunch of info on them and more name recognition - so its less risky both to buy, and to resell if you dont like them. However, if you're skiing continental snowpack like we're seeing in your location of "Northern Colorado" AKA not "Grandma's Basement" you wont really need the led bricks we call Black Ops to blast through chopped snow after a storm. I could also see doing a insert mount on the BC Animas with Pivots and ATKFR12/14s and you'd have a pretty sick storm snow resort and touring setup.

To be honest, I'm kind of over my original pair of BO118 at this point, so I went out and got another pair of skis...which just happens to be another black ops 118...because yeah, they're that good.

With all that said - I've been looking for a pair of any type of Black Crow, so if someone finds a deal on a pair let me know

www.experiencedgear.net

My lazy ass is lift bound so the weight of the BO does not bother me. I ski mostly Front Range resorts and I am looking for a good storm ski, that is great in crud because 95% of a storm day is cruded up unless you know where to go.

I mostly ski trees when it’s not snowy and currently my DD is a Kore99.

these skis are obscenely wide to me and we’re suggested by another front range local. Ergo the tray comment.

Quote Originally Posted by RyansFaith View Post
    My lazy ass is lift bound so the weight of the BO does not bother me. I ski mostly Front Range resorts and I am looking for a good storm ski, that is great in crud because 95% of a storm day is cruded up unless you know where to go.

I mostly ski trees when it’s not snowy and currently my DD is a Kore99.

these skis are obscenely wide to me and we’re suggested by another front range local. Ergo the tray comment.
    BG, and J118 have once again entered the chat.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    BG, and J118 have once again entered the chat.
    Looking at the Soothski charts (thanks TGR Forum) - I would say the BG is going to ski similar to what I experienced on the Line Supernatural 115. Great for laying down 11s all day, but really hard to drive and quite fatiguing to ski on if its not super soft conditions.

Kartel/Jeffrey or even the woodsman might alleviate this a tad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Compare.PNG 
Views:	56 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	389644

Here are my final thoughts on the BC vs. BO debate: You're in a continental snowpack, so your storms will have lighter snow density and less snow than I am used to skiing on my BOs and frankly what they were developed for by Parker White and Chris Logan. Whereas the the BC was developed in France where they have a more transitional snowpack, and terrain that is similar to the front range - so it should be a better ski, even more so if you're coming off of a more traditional mount point on other skis. However - it'll be way easier to dump a pair of BO118 if you dont like them vs. the Anima, and if you ever ski on the Coast you may get thrown around more on that ski.

www.experiencedgear.net

Looking at the Soothski charts (thanks TGR Forum) - I would say the BG is going to ski similar to what I experienced on the Line Supernatural 115. Great for laying down 11s all day, but really hard to drive and quite fatiguing to ski on if its not super soft conditions.

Kartel/Jeffrey or even the woodsman might alleviate this a tad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Compare.PNG 
Views:	56 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	389644

Here are my final thoughts on the BC vs. BO debate: You're in a continental snowpack, so your storms will have lighter snow density and less snow than I am used to skiing on my BOs and frankly what they were developed for by Parker White and Chris Logan. Whereas the the BC was developed in France where they have a more transitional snowpack, and terrain that is similar to the front range - so it should be a better ski, even more so if you're coming off of a more traditional mount point on other skis. However - it'll be way easier to dump a pair of BO118 if you dont like them vs. the Anima, and if you ever ski on the Coast you may get thrown around more on that ski.
    thank you for the insight. Yes I grew up racing and like more traditional mount mounts.

I’ll demo some Animas this winter