Thread: Boise Camping

Boise Camping

Title is misleading a bit, ha. We are passing through Boise tomorrow and need some dispersed camping ideas for a van. I don't want to camp in a parking lot.

"Morley Nelson Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area" is quite a long name but looks like our best bet for some nature and not too off the interstate. I can't tell if we need reservations or if the camping there will be full with no reservations though. I think we will be fine, or not? Any locals have a better idea?

The only proper campgrounds in the Morley are at the dam at Swan Falls. Lots of desolate space upstream from the dam. Don’t drop into the canyon to the dam, head upstream via multitude of dirt roads along the rim. Kind of out of the way for just one night. You may consider the small irrigation reservoir at the Orchard exit between Mtn Home and Boise. It’s just off the freeway, and doesn’t see much use these days. It is rather close to the freeway though. Bonneville Point off the Blacks Creek exit just before Boise might be productive too. Still convenient but no freeway noise.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    More cowbell!!!

Snake River Canyon.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by spudbumkin View Post
    The only proper campgrounds in the Morley are at the dam at Swan Falls. Lots of desolate space upstream from the dam. Don’t drop into the canyon to the dam, head upstream via multitude of dirt roads along the rim. Kind of out of the way for just one night. You may consider the small irrigation reservoir at the Orchard exit between Mtn Home and Boise. It’s just off the freeway, and doesn’t see much use these days. It is rather close to the freeway though. Bonneville Point off the Blacks Creek exit just before Boise might be productive too. Still convenient but no freeway noise.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Hmmm, you are right it's a bit far for one night. Wife is a big fan of birds of prey but I'm second guessing how much I care if she gets to see any birds after seeing how far that detour is.

Thanks, Bonneville Point may work out better!

The bop center is amazing. Best thing about Boise. To see a condor 2 feet away is mind blowing.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    The bop center is amazing. Best thing about Boise. To see a condor 2 feet away is mind blowing.
    That place does look amazing, and I've never seen an Eagle-Owl before. Shit. Decisions.

We do have condors in SLC though, at Tracy Aviary and we have season passes there. But that place definitely looks worthy.

Look for a place just off the connector called Coopers Court, great place to camp, you'll love it.

We twice camped at Bully Creek Park which is on a lake, a developed but mellow/cheap campground, and not super close to Boise (a bit over an hour).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Look for a place just off the connector called Coopers Court, great place to camp, you'll love it.
    They appear to have all moved to the old First Security Bank parking lot, kitty corner to the airport Chevron.
    More cowbell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Mind blowing for the makers.mark or condor ?

The Morley Nelson Birds of Prey center is pretty awesome. The orange eyed eagle owl they had a while back was pretty stunning as was the Harpy Eagle, huge birds that could easily take out a small human.

I've got no info for camping but Harpy Eagles are the coolest bird I've ever seen.