Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    My college kid rides a fixie with no brakes everywhere. Including downtown, whipping through traffic. He put some clipless on it a couple days ago and rode a classic mountain climbing route around here. Hard enough up, but then he came down, at speed, on a fixie, with no brakes.

We are a bike heavy family. We all raced. I used to run a bike team. Courier background. Very comfy on brakeless fixies.

Descending fully spun out down a very curvy mountain road on a fixie no brakes is a new level for me. My wife started to get upset, then just shook her head and left the room.

Then again, sounded like something we would have done at his age.
    Have you seen this series? Pretty entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Have you seen this series? Pretty entertaining.

That's one road over from where he was. But they are cheating - they have brakes. And they took the mellow downhill.

Never even heard of that. Looks cool - looking forward to watching.

I have an ss trail bike and a fixie. The fixie used to be a commuter in the Bay Area: 10 miles per day if I took the direct route. Rack with small panniers for lock and work stuff. Brakes, mustache bars, and full fenders (road rain or shine). It now has cx tires and I sometimes ride it around my current home for shorter gravel rides. The roads and trails are generally steeper where I live now compared to the Bay Area. I had the change the gear ratios on both bikes for climbing. Most of the riding is out of those saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert07 View Post
    A year ago, I bought a track bike, also known as a fixed-gear, but quite a few people confuse it with a single-speed. A single-speed bike and a fixed gear can look exactly the same. A single-speed bike is good for all types of riders, but especially beginners. They allow you to travel long distances and reduce your pedaling frequency. With this type of bike, you don't need to use a lot of muscle endurance to keep moving. On the other hand, with a fixed-gear bike, the movement is proportional to the pedal frequency. If you put less power into the pedal, your speed and acceleration will also decrease.
    Thanks for clearing this up Bob

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Robert07 View Post
    A year ago, I bought a track bike, also known as a fixed-gear, but quite a few people confuse it with a single-speed. A single-speed bike and a fixed gear can look exactly the same. A single-speed bike is good for all types of riders, but especially beginners. They allow you to travel long distances and reduce your pedaling frequency. With this type of bike, you don't need to use a lot of muscle endurance to keep moving. On the other hand, with a fixed-gear bike, the movement is proportional to the pedal frequency. If you put less power into the pedal, your speed and acceleration will also decrease.
    Is there going to be a test? It sounds like there will be a test. I was told there would be no tests.

I have a 30+ yr old mtn bike that I made into an SS by not shifting gears
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Now do flip-flop hubs, chain tensioners vs eccentrics vs. horizontal dropouts, and 1/8” vs. 3/16” chains.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Now do flip-flop hubs, chain tensioners vs eccentrics vs. horizontal dropouts, and 1/8” vs. 3/16” chains.
    Personally, I like the hum of a 3/16 chain on my fixed gear. The simplicity of horizontal dropouts is hard to beat. My Bob Jackson grass track bike is one of my favorite bikes ever.

49x19, with a front brake.

It's a pretty ideal ratio for doing road rides fixed, plenty of top end in the flats and if you have a decent cadence it works well for fast downhills. I worked on my strength over the winter and find that hills I used to need to stand I can now climb seated. I can keep pace with the local crit guys surfing stop lights but don't have the endurance like they do.

Real single track without a brake is terrifying. I have done it once and had to throw the bike while navigating a switchback. I am a big fan of fixed gravel and dirt paths.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bik1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	411889

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bik2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	411890

I wouldn’t ride single track without a brake but fixed with brakes was pretty fun

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I wouldn’t ride single track without a brake but fixed with brakes was pretty fun

I agree! But I’ve found that I need to be selective of the trail that I ride with the fixie. Many trails nearest to me are very rocky with lots of potential for pedal strikes.

I find I like single better than fixed, but mostly because of my knees. Been drooling over a Surly Lowside. Looks like an adult Huffy for bar cruising, and general around town shenanigans.

pretty much which ever bike gets me to the craft brew, some time its the E bike
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I rolled with 39x16 for many years in Chicago. (Clipless and 2 brakes)

preferred spinning it on the flats, climbing small hills was easy. No long downhills to worry about spinning out on.

if I still had it somewhere with longer downhills I’d have to choose a harder gear…but that would only make the longer climbs harder.

they really work best as flatland urban transport imho.

50x19; On-One Pompino; Brakes; Enduro-tracklocross