Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This.
    +1

Stump under snow ruled inherent risk: Standish v. Jackson Hole Mountain Resort Corp

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Who was the mag who got impaled by a branch while skiing in the trees in the last year or two?
    I didn’t post about but sweetbippy got impaled on a snag last year on an epic powder day. It tore through her bibs and she got a second gash right next to the one she was born with. She kept skiing. We didn’t sue until later.

Maybe you Karen’s should stick to Disneyland.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think it was a CO Mag who got pungeed at Copper. Pretty nasty from what I remember.

I'm just envious of the circumstances of this case. Six and a half foot "stumps" buried in early January, geezus.

Hard for an east coaster to imagine that the danger beneath the snow wasn't somewhat visible. I mean the new snow woulda piled up on top of the "stump" unless the winds were howling, right? We have no trouble seeing possible danger beneath a fresh blanket of pow here in VT.

I hucked a cliff at whistler and I ass checked a rock in the landing. My entire ass turned purple.

It was determined I was a huge pussy for not stomping it.
    Hello darkness my old friend

does anybody here ski back country ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Hard for an east coaster to imagine that the danger beneath the snow wasn't somewhat visible. I mean the new snow woulda piled up on top of the "stump" unless the winds were howling, right? We have no trouble seeing possible danger beneath a fresh blanket of pow here in VT.
    I don't know how deep the snow was when the picture was taken and what elevation on the mountain it was, but it is easy for me to see that tree being completely buried by one storm on top of the base in the picture, and certainly over the course of a season.

I did a face plant in the woods at Killington and my left chest pocket right above my heart got torn open by a branch or something just under all the crap. I still have it duct taped up if you want to see it. That would have been messy, and a ton of blood.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Moot point anyhow, because: how is that broken/cut tree (it is not a stump) any more hazardous than any other tree on the edge of a run?

100% bullshit lawsuit.
    Because it will get buried by snow unlike the other trees. Base depth went from 50ish to 80”. Stump is approximately 72”. Tree was hidden from view. Not sure if it was covered with virgin snow or skied around and looked like pushed up snow.

To me this is slightly worse than leaving a stump the right height to catch a pedal on a mtb.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    "People suing ski areas should be shot"

- Someone who never had a chair lift fall off the cable while they were in it due to modifications made to the chairlift by said ski area
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    <snip>
    I'm just envious of the circumstances of this case. Six and a half foot "stumps" buried in early January, geezus.
    Hast thou never been to Jackson??

I hope we get a solid storm cycle next winter when you're here. You will learn quick that yes, major shit disappears within days if not overnight. And the risk increases which must be accounted for.
    Any variety of tree snags, rocks, willow bushes, pine scrub tops, etc. to hide away for you. You learn to plan for the worst and hope for the best in those condish. Eventually all but the biggest features disappear in a big year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I hucked a cliff at whistler and I ass checked a rock in the landing. My entire ass turned purple.

It was determined I was a huge pussy for not stomping it.
    Not hucking but skiing through a skinny rock slot last winter, I too took one to the tookus. Took me outta the ballgame.
    I don't think I garnered the pussy designation but SVS and EoB prolly had a good laff at my medieval groaning and cussing for all in the sidecountry to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    They did leave that stump 6’ tall right next to a groomer like an asshole though. Agree with the legal decision but it’s not like he was in a glade.

This is a pic from the spring as you can see the valley floor is dry. That's why this is melted out.
    For those that know the village: this is on thunder ridgeline looking towards Casper restaurant over there on the next flat. I'd posit that this is coming down the skiers left of the ridgeline beneath the tramline above with Thunder chair just off to your left.
    The opening on your left is the top of thunder proper. Which gets groomed occasionally. Not sure if the use a winch cat or not. That's important.
    On all of the runs that they run a winch line on, the trees on gannet and grand get a lot of cable burn. I wonder if this tree was cut off by a winch cable.

It's not a stump. By any definition.

But I can see some scenarios where it was dealt with temporarily and Miles Standish proud just hit it.
    What if it got sheared off three days ago and just continued to get buried before he found it. That's not negligence so much as tough luck, yes?

Their numbers were a tad off, I checked the BT avy center for these deets: those 4 days 8th-11th, snowfall was per day at mid mtn.: 4, 14, 8, 16".
    He stomped the Shtumpf on the last day. He needs more calcium.
    Article said he hit it it on the top, not like he wrapped around it. Even more of a DQ'er.

That location is on the leeward side of that ridge and that area absolutely windoads like a mofo...I've had a coupla spectacular cartwheels under thunder chair getting firsties spacing the monster bumps beneath the 16" of wind-aided deposition making it 26" and blower.
    My friends on the chair unload and ski past me laughing and not getting my goggles for me from 10 yards uphill. Hey fockers!

Methinks he's outta luck.

The underfoot terrain at the village is pretty severe in a lot of places. Winter or summer. The amount of lumber laying on those slopes is amazing. They're usually really good about clearing obnoxiuos snags and punji stimps like that one.
    I can't see the cutting crew leaving that on purpose.

January is still low tide most places/seasons. Only one stump? He should try skiing in Colorado.

Only mountain I know that is notorious for breaking numerous legs due to dead / fallen timber is Big Sky. Mainly tib/fib breaks on fallen trees on a powder day when the snowpack is low.

Locals ski the scree fields above tree line to stay safe in those conditions.

That's the damnedest thing Djongo. My mind went straight to Miles Standish too.

Stupid head of ski patrol at the little ski area I ski at back East was learning to do a bore cut. Dropped a pretty sixty foot spruce into the trail and left it not cleaned up for two years. Bunch of other poor decisions around snow making equipment. Glade for the decision in this case and seems the right one, but wish there was some better responsibility at my hill.

If you skied past that impediment and rolled forward under the thunder liftline, this is where you'd be. This is Local mag UpAllNight killing it last November pre-opening.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thunder fluff.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	375563

upon further inspection, it's Myles, not Miles...

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Only mountain I know that is notorious for breaking numerous legs due to dead / fallen timber is Big Sky. Mainly tib/fib breaks on fallen trees on a powder day when the snowpack is low.

Locals ski the scree fields above tree line to stay safe in those conditions.
    Lodgepole forests suck for tree skiing.

Spitballing here but my impression is that the obstacle in question was cut during the season at snow level and then someone forgot to go back in the summer and cut it lower. Hazard of skiing, sorry the guy got hurt but JHMR is a big mountain and there will always be hazards.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    "People suing ski areas should be shot"

- Someone who never had a chair lift fall off the cable while they were in it due to modifications made to the chairlift by said ski area

FIFY
    Also if the gondola you are riding in is hit by a snowcat injuring you.

That might be the list

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Also if the gondola you are riding in is hit by a snowcat injuring you.

That might be the list
    I might put https://kdot.com/show/jave-patterson...ol-video-ever/ on the list, and I wouldn't want to be on a race jury defending against a negligence claim with inappropriately placed or installed risk-mitigation (i.e. b-net not set up correctly and in the places deemed necessary by the homologation report).

But I'd agree the list should be pretty damn small.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Lodgepole forests suck for tree skiing.

Spitballing here but my impression is that the obstacle in question was cut during the season at snow level and then someone forgot to go back in the summer and cut it lower. Hazard of skiing, sorry the guy got hurt but JHMR is a big mountain and there will always be hazards.
    Not sure I'm on board with your first statement, but 2nd paragraph is exactly what I was trying to say. But stated better, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Or countless boulders covered by snow.
    This.
    What's that you say? Hidden objects under the snow???? SHUT DOWN THE RESORTS!!!

Myles Standish (c. 1584 – October 3, 1656) was an English military officer. He was hired as military adviser for Plymouth Colony in present-day Massachusetts, United States by the Pilgrims. Standish accompanied the Pilgrims on the ship Mayflower and played a leading role in the administration and defense of Plymouth Colony from its foundation in 1620.
    . . .

its a tree > 6ft high on an ungroomed run in 45 " of fresh and they accepted the waivier when they bought the ticket

if that hazard was on a groomed run ok there might be a liability issue but " The couple purchased ski passes that included a liability disclaimer, which required acceptance of inherent risks and hazards."

if they couldn't handle the inherent risks they could have stayed on a groomer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

MNIAW, sorry but I have to call you on that one. It's pretty common in the west. Also can confirm that sometimes it gets deep enough on the EC where you can't see the reef until you tag it. Here's just one example: I was drydocking the everliving shit out of my left ski as the photo below was taken (At Magic - December 2010). No variance at the surface to indicate there was anything there til I got a surprise coreshot.

Name:  163093_187862757895513_7533096_n.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  32.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.