Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Baiyin China Ultra Marathon Trajedy

This is crazy, 21 dead after storm hits ultra marathon. Not a lot of details so far.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-china-deaths/

Twenty-one people died Saturday in China while participating in an ultramarathon that was struck by drastic changes in weather, according to multiple reports.
Rescue work ended Sunday, per state-run Xinhua News Agency, after all 172 participants were accounted for, including eight who were treated with minor injuries.
The 100-kilometer (62-mile) cross-country event was held in high altitude at Yellow River Stone Forest Park in Gansu province. The ultramarathon began in pleasant conditions and many participants were lightly attired, according to reports, but soon the temperature plunged amid strong wind, freezing rain and hail.
“At 1 p.m. on Saturday, the wind got stronger. It was hard to stand up straight and move forward. When the wind was the strongest, I had to grasp the ground with both my hands to avoid being blown over,” said a survivor, who requested anonymity.
“I felt nothing but cold at the time,” the participant said. “I just ran about 30 kilometers and quit the race ahead of the third checkpoint. I fainted halfway down the mountain.”
The race was called off after several hours, by which point a number of runners reached a particularly challenging stretch that climbed to upward of 6,500 feet above sea level. Hundreds of rescue personnel who reportedly took part in search operations found their efforts were impeded at times by the rugged terrain, a landslide and falling temperatures overnight.
Among the reported dead were two acclaimed distance runners: Liang Jing, a 31-year-old ultramarathon champion, and Huang Guanjun, who won the men’s hearing-impaired marathon at China’s 2019 National Paralympic Games.

“As the organizer of the event, we feel a deep sense of guilt and remorse. We express our deep condolences and sympathies to the bereaved families and the victims,” said Zhang Xuchen, the mayor of host city Baiyin, who fired the starting pistol.
The deaths reportedly sparked outrage on Chinese social media, with questions about whether organizers paid enough attention to differing forecasts or made sufficient contingency plans.
“At around noon, the high-altitude section of the race between 20 and 31 kilometers was suddenly affected by disastrous weather,” Zhang said at a briefing. “In a short period of time, hailstones and ice rain suddenly fell in the local area, and there were strong winds. The temperature sharply dropped.”
Six participants were aided by a local shepherd who guided them to a cave dwelling, per the Paper of Shanghai. Other local villagers brought quilted blankets to help warm runners, many of whom were suffering from hypothermia.
“The rain was getting heavier and heavier,” runner Mao Shuzhi, who said she turned back after approximately 24 kilometers because she feared the prospect of hypothermia, told Reuters.
“At first I was a bit regretful, thinking it might have just been a passing shower,” she said, “but when I saw the strong winds and rains later through my hotel room window, I felt so lucky that I made the decision.”

I’m a stupid dipshit spambot and I just got pwned by the moderators.

Thanks to mags for reporting these!
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 05-24-2021 at 02:00 PM.

This reads like an onion article.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

This is when Type 3 fun (almost died on some epic adventure) becomes Type 4 actually did die, and doesn't quite hold the same level of epic adventure. Tragic all around

You see, this is why I won't do ultra marathons.

I experienced something similar at least a couple of times- PCT 50 miler in 1991 (coldest I've ever felt in my life) and Lost Boys 50 miler in 95. That Lost Boys race was canceled mid-race due to a winter storm that hit in mid-May. Fun times!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

The guys in the race that didnt die will have a real zinger to throw in there every time someone mentions having run a marathon

Sad and crazy that so many died in one event.

The event shirts saying "I survived the 2021 Baiyan Ultra-Marathon" really mean something.

Anyone on here running the ultra down in Bryce Canyon this weekend?..

depends, what’s the weather gonna be like?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...vivor.amp.html

Survivors account.

This is just insane. Suicide mission? Don't they have access to the weather channel in China?

A lot of callous posts about a tragic event that claimed 21 lives. These were people who loved competing outdoors. If this were a massive avalanche on the grand traverse would we be making jokes? Why is it ok here? Because China?

/debbie downer
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    A lot of callous posts about a tragic event that claimed 21 lives. These were people who loved competing outdoors. If this were a massive avalanche on the grand traverse would we be making jokes? Why is it ok here? Because China?

/debbie downer
    Lighten up, Francis.....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

These were people who loved competing outdoors.
    Then again, maybe they were told that there was a free all-you-can-eat seafood buffet 100K down some trail going over those mountains, yonder.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Pretty sad. I think I read in another article that it was hosted by a poor area of China to raise money locally. Perhaps they didn't have the sophistication or services to adequately protect the racers. 21 is a lot of people.

Maybe relatedly? Organizers shortened the Giro stage which was due to finish on a snowy mountaintop. Many a Giro stage have finished atop a snowy mountaintop; maybe this was on the organizers' minds.

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    Perhaps they didn't have the sophistication or services to adequately protect the racers.
    idk, i read that like 1,200 rescue personal turned out in the search and recovery efforts. seems if they can muster that up after the fact, they could've done more proactively.

/debbie downer
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Lighten up, Francis.....
    Both are correct. It's a brutal tragedy but it's so crazy it's also kinda funny. Like a lot of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Both are correct. It's a brutal tragedy but it's so crazy it's also kinda funny. Like a lot of shit.
    well said.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Speaking from experience, people process horrific shit in different ways, to include dark humor. I was reminded of the motorcycle mom who died doing a memorial ride for her son, who was killed in a motorcycle crash. Someone on here posted that that family needed to stop riding, to which another Mag (Viva?) responded 'they did'.........Tragic event. Funny shit.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    idk, i read that like 1,200 rescue personal turned out in the search and recovery efforts. seems if they can muster that up after the fact, they could've done more proactively.
    Yea and it seems like they were slow to react when the weather / forecast was changing.

/debbie downer
    This. Nothing funny about it. The idea of gallows humor relieving tension and grief applies when the tragedy hits too close to home. People are making fun because it's China. Maybe the same accusation can be made when somebody dies doing something particularly stupid--if so, as a regular poster in the Darwin thread I'm guilty too. But these folks weren't doing anything stupid, unless running an ultra is stupid. We're mountain people--we all know how fast and severe the weather can change in the mountains. I've started the last few hundred feet to a pass in cloudless skis and arrived on the summit in grape sized hail and lightning. Two years in a row.

Respectfully disagree. “Gallows Humor” got me through 24 years in the fire service. I’m definitely not making fun because it’s China. What led you to come to that conclusion? As you said, there’s an entire thread dedicated to Darwinism. That you regularly post in. Your allegations are baseless. And your contention that “gallows humor “ only applies when it “ hits too close to home” is utter bullshit.

Seriously, don't they have weather apps with radar over there? Everybody is walking around with a smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Seriously, don't they have weather apps with radar over there? Everybody is walking around with a smartphone.
    There is satellite cell coverage on Everest but sudden changes in weather still catch climbing parties off guard, sometimes resulting in weather/freezing related deaths. Nature is a beast sometimes. As you certainly know from your rugged adventures at Keystone.