Obsethed, Pon2oon, Hellbent

Hi this is my first post. This my story and Q.
    Next winter i'll be 67. I am intermediate ski, still hoping to ski better.

I am a big fan of Obsethed. I have 3 pairs in different degree of wear. All 179, for resort. To me it is not a pow ski, but a crud ski. Because there is no powder day inside, only first half an hour is, and powder day in resort really means a crud day. And from my point of view Obsethed is amazing in crud converting it almost in the powder. Also what is amazing to me in Obsethed is forgiveness. Like when you sit deep on the inner ski, and the next thing will be a side slide on your hip, and then boom - the wide tip bites the snow, the soft rocker bends in an arc like a recurve bow, and voila you are standing again, as if it never happened.

But my Q is not about resort, but exclusively backcountry snow skiing. For BC (i.e. real pow) I also have Obsethed (well Missdirected), but 169, i.e. 10 cm shorter. I am absolutely happy with the ski, but I'll be upgrading my G3 Onyx binder next winter (thinking Atomic Backland). As I'll do, I am thinking, but what about ski, may be Pontoon or Hellbent?

So all my following concerns are exclusively about real powder skiing, this ski will never see a resort (well only in gondola).
    I have read all I possibly can, and my impression is that Hellbent is basically a very similar in feel to Obsethed, only bigger.
    And Pon2oon is for faster skiing, it is stiffer and allows more charging.

There are two types of backcountry skiing I do. First is very low aspect terrain. Absolutely not exposed. Mostly do it completely alone. Easy walk up, mellow runs, you draw a beautiful line on the snow, make a picture or two, repeat couple times, take a solo skiout under gondola when everyone gone and sleep well. This is actually where I think the bigger ski will be beneficial. On good snow my Missdirected flows nicely on this terrain, but on wetter snow there are section when it is barely enough for floating. Will Poon2oon or Hellbent float earlier? Am I correct? or it will be the same and I should not bother, just remount new binders 2 cm back from current holes (currently on +2)??

The second type of BC skiing is a 45 degree chute. I go with a friend who knows those by heart, lucky to have a personal guide of highest quality. I am extremely conservative there. It is not real skiing, it is from one stop to another, may be a sequence of linked jump turns, radically different from what I would do in resort on the open section. I actually think the kind of ski doesn't matter for that, it will be the same, Hellbents or Poon2oons or Obsetheds.. But again I don't know.

So the Q is, for that kind of skiing I do, will Pontoon or hellbent be beneficial? Is it possible that I will regret going away from my Obsetheds? (Can't think it may be worse feel, but who knows, stranger things happened... )

Weight wise Pon2oon is actually the same weight as Missdirected, so I can probably go even 179 (thinking even more float, and because the mounting point is few cm back from Obsethed it will be not that detrimental for my steep jumps) and because I'll save like 600 grams on new binders it will be lighter. Hellbent 169 will be 400 grams heavier than Obsethed so I end up slightly lighter than my current setup.

But I understand that all of this is a theory, so I am asking practical advice from those of your who skied those three (at least two) models. Thank you.

Tech talk jong

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Loved my k2's except for the sidewall cracking that is common across the whole brand in my experience.

The pontoons and hellbents are heavy AF. Are you skinnning?

glad to see deepsouth got you right.

get a pair of praxis protests.
    swing your fucking sword.

Obsethed regret is real

stealurface - you helped me! Thank you!

AEV - no regrets. I still have four as I describe in my too verbose post. It is just my reference point. After skiing it 10 years ago for my first day I came to the car and cried because I realised that I lived in vain, all my prev. skis were garbage

stealurface - praxis, yes, the guy 2 km away from me is selling Praxis Powderboards with Marker Shizo (so I can find my mounting point before changing to backland/G3, and actually try it with lift assist behind the rope). But... my last run is always a skiout under gondola, 15 minutes before dark, and I am afraid I can't handle those. I never tried those reverse skis... What do you think?

Asspen - mine are 2011 and 2012, and missdirected is 2013. No cracking. Weight wise - its in my post in the end: Missdirected 169=Pon2oon 169=4.3kg a pair. And even Pon2oon 179 with lighter binding will be lighter than what I have now (with G3 Onyx). Hellbent - you right, if it will be Hellbent it will be only 169, not 179

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_1954 View Post
    stealurface - praxis, yes, the guy 2 km away from me is selling Praxis Powderboards with Marker Shizo (so I can find my mounting point before changing to backland/G3, and actually try it with lift assist behind the rope). But... my last run is always a skiout under gondola, 15 minutes before dark, and I am afraid I can't handle those. I never tried those reverse skis... What do you think?
    i've never been on pow boards but they are undeniably monsters. if you want a ski that can handle the resort duties you described and tour just as well, the protest is for you. and oh yeah, they can carve too.
    check this thread out for all you need to know about em: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...axis+protestst
    swing your fucking sword.

"i've never been on pow boards but they are undeniably monsters. if you want a ski that can handle the resort duties you described and tour just as well" - monsters is OK, I would just say that my plan is tour only, with skiout return. I think I have to talk to the guy, he is trying to sell it for few months already, may be he will allow me to try. And definitely Ill read this thread you mention, when Ill have an hour or so

Is it possible that I will regret going away from my Obsetheds? (Can't think it may be worse feel, but who knows, stranger things happened... )
    AEV - no regrets. I still have four as I describe in my too verbose post. It is just my reference point. After skiing it 10 years ago for my first day I came to the car and cried because I realised that I lived in vain, all my prev. skis were garbage
    This

Imagine how you would feel on some designs that weren't obsolete.
    Training for Alpental

I've been on the obsethed, and I would not consider it a chop/crud ski. To add to Session's comments - there are much, much better skis out there now, that are more stable at speed, and lighter for touring.

Check out the blister buyers guide, read through it, then post questions based on skis that better fit your needs.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I've been on the obsethed, and I would not consider it a chop/crud ski. To add to Session's comments - there are much, much better skis out there now, that are more stable at speed, and lighter for touring.
    well, I dont care about speed. Esp. in BC. In fact the slower the better. Smearing at close to zero speed in full control is a special pleasure. To understand it one needs to live long enough

As for other skis, you right - I just ordered Pescado. From what I understand - including some detailed reviews on TGF - this Pescado excels in low aspect slope skiing in powder, and at slow speeds generally (and this is the second part of my requirements - slow speed in the chutes). Yes it is 10 cm longer, 10 mm wider, and shovel is 8 cm longer than my current touring 169. Plus 500 gr (a pound) lighter. I also ordered Atomic Backland - 800 gr lighter than my current G3 Onyx.So I totally agree with you. Plus there was a great deal on both

As for Obsethed - for me personally - and as I said I am an old intermediate skier, someone called me jong here as a first reply - a greeting from TGF , for me Obsethed shines in forgiveness and in crud. In virgin powder at my level, everything that soft and 146-117-130 will float. And on groomed it can carve too due to the same 146-117...

Had the Protest twice, sold them twice, even had a custom pair built for me, sold them and kept my 189 Pon2oons.

I think I only skied my Pon2oons two days last winter, they were perfect. Ironically friends ski them more then I do because I have too many skis, but when I do grab them, they are perfect.

The Pon2oon is the dead easiest pow ski there is. It does low angle mellow pow, it does steep pow. It does slow pow skiing, it does fast pow skiing. Are they heavy, yea, but they make pow skiing easy so it doesn’t bother me.

I flip skis way too quickly, yet have have considered selling my Pon2oons. Even bought a pair of 179 Pon2oons for friends to borrow when they come visit.

I’m planning on either going to Japan or AK next winter, you know what is making the short list of skis to go on the trip, my Pon2oons. Seriously, if there is soft snow, Pon2oons won’t do you wrong. They may not come to Japan since I’m only bringing two pairs skis, but since we are driving to AK, you better bet they are coming.

Don’t over think this, Pon2oons are the answer to your question.

Shane fought for the right, no, privilege to ski fat skis. Get the Pon2oons.

I will say if you are hiking or touring, they might be as heavy as a WW2 battle ship. It’s truly impressive K2 got so much weight in such a small package. I do hike/sidestep in/out of the back country on mine, and dragging an nuclear aircraft carrier around might be easier, BUT they ski like a fucking dream.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Had the Protest twice, sold them twice, even had a custom pair built for me, sold them and kept my 189 Pon2oons.

I think I only skied my Pon2oons two days last winter, they were perfect. Ironically friends ski them more then I do because I have too many skis, but when I do grab them, they are perfect.

The Pon2oon is the dead easiest pow ski there is. It does low angle mellow pow, it does steep pow. It does slow pow skiing, it does fast pow skiing. Are they heavy, yea, but they make pow skiing easy so it doesn’t bother me.

I flip skis way too quickly, yet have have considered selling my Pon2oons. Even bought a pair of 179 Pon2oons for friends to borrow when they come visit.

I’m planning on either going to Japan or AK next winter, you know what is making the short list of skis to go on the trip, my Pon2oons. Seriously, if there is soft snow, Pon2oons won’t do you wrong. They may not come to Japan since I’m only bringing two pairs skis, but since we are driving to AK, you better bet they are coming.

Don’t over think this, Pon2oons are the answer to your question.

Shane fought for the right, no, privilege to ski fat skis. Get the Pon2oons.

I will say if you are hiking or touring, they might be as heavy as a WW2 battle ship. It’s truly impressive K2 got so much weight in such a small package. I do hike/sidestep in/out of the back country on mine, and dragging an nuclear aircraft carrier around might be easier, BUT they ski like a fucking dream.

Thread drift, but...

Today I just realized that Pon2oon is entering its 11th consecutive year of production. I mean 11 years for just the 2nd-gen version, AFTER they added the "2" into the name.

Is 11 years unchanged (except graphics) a new record? Volkl Explosiv went through multiple significant changes during it's time. Head m103/102/SuperMojo/Richie was only 8 years unchanged.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

I just have personal experience on the Hellbents but frequently skied with friends on Pontoons (both older versions). Both provide massive flotation and are awesome deep soft snow weapons, very surfy feeling, loose and slashy (don't know how else to describe it). With their softer flex tons of fun if conditions are right.

Which brings us to the downside: not so fun if conditions aren't as described, there are way better suited wide skis out there for variable conditions.

It comes down to how often you will see the conditions where these planks truly shine.

just got my Line Pescado today. with atomic backland. Pescado is as big as Pontoon, but weights 1 kilo less, 3600 gr on my scale. Plus from what I read on TGF in other threads its perfect for low angle terrain. And indeed the shape is unique... huge shovel, mounting point back, huge dimension. So for me the case is closed, no hellbents or pontoons this time. As for right conditions - this will be skied in backcountry only, my Obsethed will be for inbounds. Atomic Backland - is 800 gr per pair. And 120 break (their biggest) just fits on my 125 Pescado. May be ill bent it 1 mm, but may be even not. Ill have some Qs about the mounting point but Ill ask those in appropriate Pescado threads

just got my Line Pescado today. with atomic backland. Pescado is as big as Pontoon, but weights 1 kilo less, 3600 gr on my scale. Plus from what I read on TGF in other threads its perfect for low angle terrain. And indeed the shape is unique... huge shovel, mounting point back, huge dimension. So for me the case is closed, no hellbents or pontoons this time. As for right conditions - this will be skied in backcountry only, my Obsethed will be for inbounds. Atomic Backland - is 800 gr per pair. And 120 break (their biggest) just fits on my 125 Pescado. May be ill bent it 1 mm, but may be even not. Ill have some Qs about the mounting point but Ill ask those in appropriate Pescado threads
    Not the Peacado and would love to own if I could justify its width (if I make to Japan they will be purchased), but have 2 pairs of the Sakana... This is usually not my type of ski but had a chance try them and immediately fell in love... The ski is fun as hell, carves like a champ and ended up being a killer spring corn/cream cheese ski... I am 6’4” and 205lb and had it in 6+ inches a couple of times and floated like a champ and was so splashy - smiles all day... Still not parting with my chargers but loved the Sakana so much purchased a back up pair with Pollards departure from line...

For what you are looking for the Pescado seems like a perfect fit... Still would love to have a need for that ski...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1622739362.891152.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	376317

Oh man, look at those Gunsmokes in the back.

I read good things about that Line fish shape. I know a few chargers that like long skis, and also like the lines in the shorter lengths.

ARGs are great for low angle terrain too.

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    Oh man, look at those Gunsmokes in the back.

I read good things about that Line fish shape. I know a few chargers that like long skis, and also like the lines in the shorter lengths.

ARGs are great for low angle terrain too.
    Great catch AEV - this is a never sell ski ever... I baby the shit out of them... They are right up there with my Gold Buddha Gotamas...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1622745171.482240.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	376330

Hoard them all to your pleasure, as well as Gold Gotamas. Keep your swallow tails, too.

But I'm going to go ahead and say it-- There is one ski for Japan and it's a Renegade. (I've never been on a Protest, but those kids claim the same thing.)
    Last edited by gaijin; 06-04-2021 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Hoard them all to your pleasure, as well as Gold Gotamas. Keep your swallow tails, too.

But I'm going to go ahead and say it-- There is one ski for Japan and it's a Renegade. (I've never been on a Protest, but those kids claim the same thing.)
    Protest is good, and I took a pair to Japan, but there are lots of skis that would be good in Japow. Next time I’m taking two pairs of skis, and definitely not taking Protests. Probably the Blanks with CAST and maybe the Pon2oons or 115s. You really don’t need a super fat ski in Japan, anything 105 or wider would be fine. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8607.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	376412