Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lawn grass question

I did a search and didn't find a lawn conversation, so help a jong out. Our 25 year old Marathon fescue looks like shit because I only water it 30 minutes a week (3 days at 10 minutes) and it is loaded with burrs as is every lawn in the hood which pisses me off.
    Walking around and looking at other lawns, the grass with the least weeds is St. Augustine. It looks like it is to dense for weeds to grow in. Zoysia was also suggested, but reading up on it it appears to take years to fully establish itself (so fuck that).
    I need a drought resistant grass that can tolerate a lot of sun. Wife said no fucking way to synthetic, so ya, I am killing the planet watering grass 30 minutes a week.
    What would you suggest?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I would say from my amateur-ass lawn shit that #’s 1 and 2 would be water longer, less often (total moisture of ~1inch/week), maybe an hour all at once, once a week. Then mow as high as you can live with; taller grass both is healthier and chokes out weeds better - remember no grass LIKES being cut, some just tolerate it better.

Then, since it’s too late for spring seeding, I’d concentrate on weed kill and feeding what you have. Correct any soil chemistry and get ready for when cooler fall temps come around for an aggressive overseed and top dressing with compost or sphagnum.

annual ryes germinate the quickest for a mental boost (shits looking better already, eh?) but don’t last, so add whatever your long term seed is. You can google around on what species are good for your area.

Lawn grass question

all I have to say on this subject is....

GET OFF MY LAWN !

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The issue with weed killer is trying to keep the dogs off days after an application. I guess I could go to twice a week for 15 minutes, but that is all I can justify. If not for the dogs loving grass, I would just remove it all and xeroscape with desert plants.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

With young kids I never used weed fertilizer.

Always did hose end spray. Keep kids and dogs off for a day. The granules last much longer. More toxic.

Lately been spot weed treating with Integrity. Once I got the lawn under control.

Agree with deep watering
    Longer and less frequent makes deep roots.

Also. Can’t buy phosphorus here. Unless you have a license. So I start in spring with starter fertilizer. Has phosphorus. Promotes root growth.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I need a drought resistant grass that can tolerate a lot of sun. Wife said no fucking way to synthetic, so ya, I am killing the planet watering grass 30 minutes a week.
    What would you suggest?
    Poa annua. If poe is good enough for Pebble Beach, it ought to be good enough for you and your HOA.
    Plus, if you mix poe with a perennial ryegrass, the natural blotchy appearance will hide all the dog shit kill spots that trouble you now.

I don't know where you live but here the PUD has a demonstration garden with grasses that take minimal water and grow to a certain length and stop growing--they don't need to be mowed. The one's in the garden are maybe 6-8 high--the individual blades are longer but they bend over--so it creates a pretty dense mat that shades out weeds. Of course if the neighbors have traditional lawns they won't like your yard and you'll look an oddball, which seeing you post here you are and they likely already know it. Maybe there's something like what I'm describing that does well where you live.

There's a product gaining popularity in Colorado called, I think, dog tough grass, or maybe it's dog tuff. Very drought resistant, full sun tolerant.

I've never tried it because my backyard is fully shaded so nothing grows well back there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I don't know if this s all true but I was reading about it somewhere and sounds awesome: https://www.pearlspremium.com/our-story/secret-roots

Has anyone suggested synthetic? PM DSM.

it may depend on the type of grass but i agree with mow higher, no shorter than 1 1/2 " to let the grass control the weeds as much as possible, weed n feed used to work really well but i don't see it for sale up here anymore and I would rather not use weed killer too much so IME sometimes you gotta give the grass a fighting chance by pulling weeds by hand or spot spraying with weed killer , spot overseeding so the grass can overtake the weeds , this house had been a rental so the lawn was a bit neglected/patchy/ weeds had taken over, it looks ok now, I'm not prepared to spend too much time on growing grass

I did have a house with built in sprinklers back in the hot/dry Okanagan I seem to remember 15min every 2 days, any more than that and you just got more/heavier grass clippings

as for watering up narth the lawns tend to be self watering
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

When it's dry I just set the mower all the way on high and stop mowing if I can't tell it's been mowed at that setting.

Some good tips in here for you. A healthy lawn will choke out weeds naturally, we use and highly recommend
    Name:  IMG_2116.JPG
Views: 627
Size:  39.5 KB
    And like already mentioned, increase time of watering, but not as often. Twice a week for 20-30 minutes should be plenty if you can. Also time of day for watering is huge. Watering mid day is pointless, get a cheap timer and set it for 4am

Fertilize twice a year with the Organic lawn fertilizer, feed the soil. Safe for pets and kids, and non burning.

And mow high as possible, I’d also set the mower to the highest setting too.

If I’ve got a small chunk of lawn in my yard. It’s half dead, weedy, and has a large hump in the middle. I want to kill it, regrade it flat, then bring in more top soil and reseed. How do I kill it? Rent a tiller, chop it up, pull out the grass chunks? Spend time with a shovel to lift it all up?

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I recently discovered the de-thatching rake. Wow. My front yard had been struggling the last couple years, despite fertilizing and watering. I passed an aerator through as well. And it just wasn't doing it. About 11 days ago, a buddy was helping me with some pvc sprinkler lines (fuck I hate that shit) and he said, you oughta power rake your lawn. You have a lotta thatch. Read up on it, went and bought a de thatching rake, and it only took 10 days to do the whole front yard, and it is looking very nice. I pulled SOOO MUCH dead grass and thatch out I could not believe it. Entire lawn perked up and is looking great. (Talk to me mid July and see if that is still the story). Then I moved to the back yard and got busy with the de thatching rake. Lots of dead yellow spots in the back, so I went over the area with Scotts thick r lawn stuff. Has seed, fertilizer and soil amendment stuff, then put 8ftcu of topsoil with compost in it, and spread on top. Raked everything even. Raining now, so timing was good. Did I do it right?
    I hope so...

Nice by product of the thatching rake is much stronger arms in 10 days. Pandemic made me weak.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    yall waste water to grow grass ya dont smoke and need to maintain
    why is my question
    xeri
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post

And mow high as possible, .
    sfb, I think that was covered ^.

I have read elsewhere that mowing frequently in spring encourages grass to spread roots. But wtfdik, I have a ton of buttercups on the tennis court.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    yall waste water to grow grass ya dont smoke and need to maintain
    why is my question
    xeri
    They want to grow the nibbles for the bunnies. They feel bad for those poor pathetic creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    When it's dry I just set the mower all the way on high and stop mowing if I can't tell it's been mowed at that setting.
    Don’t you have teenaged sons? Tf are you doin mowin the lawn?

swing your fucking sword.

Synthetic is the shit. The stuff they make now looks real not Brady Bunch style. We put it in our dog run 5 years ago, it is green year round and looks like grass, kids play on it, dogs shit on it, I never mow, water, fertilize, etc. I take the backpack blower to it every so often to keep it clean. If I had my way I would do the entire yard in the stuff and sell all my yard maintenance equipment. Get some samples for your wife to look at it may sway her when she sees how good that stuff looks now.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Don’t you have teenaged sons? Tf are you doin mowin the lawn?

Sorry, that was the royal "I".

Lawn grass question

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Sorry, that was the royal "I".
    Lately my mom has been pulling this guilt trip bullshit where she asks me to mow the lawn, I agree, then she goes out and starts mowing like ten minutes later and refuses to hand it over.
    Very confusing stuff.

Lately my mom has been pulling this guilt trip bullshit where she asks me to mow the lawn, I agree, then she goes out and starts mowing like ten minutes later and refuses to hand it over.
    Very confusing stuff.

When a parent asks you to do something it means now you freeloader

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    When a parent asks you to do something it means now you freeloader

Within 20 minutes is now

Very confusing stuff.

If you have a sweet z that she doesn't run very often, it's probably fun laying down purdy stripes.