Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    If I never have to maintain an at-home redundancy and backup setup again, it'll be too soon. Cloud FTMFW.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I have massive anecdotes to the contrary. We replace a lot of redundant disks AND have the need for all levels of restore for all kinds of reasons on a frequent basis. Plus periodic disaster recovery exercises at the recovery site.
    Yeah - I'm the backup guy at our company... fortunately, our mgmt does not see it as a waste of time/$$.

And you're right - redundancy and backup are two *completely* different things. Don't get me started on the difference between archive and backup.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    If I never have to maintain an at-home redundancy and backup setup again, it'll be too soon. Cloud FTMFW.
    Yeah - I'm patiently waiting until the day I can get reasonable upload speeds so I can make proper use of the Cloud...

well you do wana practise being nurturing/sounding sorry when you tell the end loser their drive is fucked
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - I'm patiently waiting until the day I can get reasonable upload speeds so I can make proper use of the Cloud...
    It's called fiber and it's wonderful. Move outta the sticks, fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Fuck off ya smug bastard. I'm in the middle of the goddam suburbs and FSM only knows when we'll be able to get fiber to the house.

Not in “the sticks” but definitely not in the City. Yikes. Name:  Image1621889129.371669.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  63.2 KB

I'd go commodore 64

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Ahhh... the old "backups are a waste of time and $$ discussion."
    That would be off topic in an electronic media thread...

Just deleted a bunch of on-site backups of off-site backups this morning. Feelin' cute. May backup the recently unbackedup backups later. I'll get back with you when I'm back.

Yeah - I'm the backup guy at our company... fortunately, our mgmt does not see it as a waste of time/$$.

And you're right - redundancy and backup are two *completely* different things. Don't get me started on the difference between archive and backup.
    too many terms up above, plz clarify
    file server:: current files in use
    archive:: old files, but stored on server? or ripped DVDs in the cellar?
    redundant copy:: RAID disk mirror?
    backup:: off site storage like cloud?

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Not in “the sticks” but definitely not in the City. Yikes. Name:  Image1621889129.371669.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  63.2 KB
    https://www.starlink.com/

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Over the last 20 or so years building a professional technical organization, I've replaced a bunch of failed disks, but I don't recall ever having to, perforce, reinstall from the [block-level encrypted] backups we spend so much to make and maintain. Drive redundancy for the win.
    Yes, well I had a Server running Raid 10 a bit over a year ago (4 drives of course) and they were enterprise drives, not the super cheap consumer drives that may only have a 1 or if lucky 3 year warranty. One failed. I ordered the replacement under warranty and it arrived. Figured I'd stick it in and let it rebuild during business hours. Do the removal of the bad drive, wait the time for it to be detected as removed, prepare to put the new drive in (hot swappable). All of a sudden a second drive (on the SAME side of the array) went out and flagged as bad. About 2 hours on with support, and they agree, it is now showing 2 failed drives and not booting at all. And they have to get another drive and I requested their warranty tech also to bring the drive asap. So next morning start the reload and then restore from their backups. So while it is rare, if the server did not have working backups, they would have been screwed even more than they were with a day plus down time while the parts obtained, rebuild the host OS, and restore the VM. Raid is not a backup! (And this was a customer that we discussed all levels of backup- cloud, local, and an appliance that they decided they could not afford the price and monthly storage fees)...

With the ransomware, infections and malware and other things out there, backups (tested regularly) are needed. There has always been 2 types of computer users- those that have lost data (and hopefully had a backup to restore that lost data from) and those that are just lucky so far and will lose data at some point in time and will want backups.)

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It is not just the sticks and rural areas. It is the big players that basically still think DSL is high speed internet and do not want to replace any copper lines at all or do upgrades to their networks. Cable companies have little incentive due to their monopoly for the franchise to get off their Coax that was run more than 30 years ago either.

Most people start backing up data immediately after an unrecoverable catastrophic failure.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    It is not just the sticks and rural areas. It is the big players that basically still think DSL is high speed internet and do not want to replace any copper lines at all or do upgrades to their networks. Cable companies have little incentive due to their monopoly for the franchise to get off their Coax that was run more than 30 years ago either.
    30. Or 40....

It's like we are parallel universe versions of each other.

It's like we are parallel universe versions of each other.
    Except he knows that other subforums exist.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    I make backups, believe me. Pretty sure I have to by law. I've just never had to use them to recover from a catastrophe, knock wood.
    You've been very fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    That's just it, me in a different universe would by definition, be different.

You've been very fortunate.
    Yup.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    And it's not that I don't know they exist. It's that there very existence offends me.

<snip> It's that there very existence offends me.
    There?

WHERE??!?

Yup.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
    Holy shit!

All he wanted was a faster pc
    . . .

There?

WHERE??!?

Over their.

Name:  RhUHgRYF_400x400.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  35.1 KB