ISO Billy Goat Ascender Plates

A buddy and his friend are headed to the Ruth Glacier in mid-June. Billygoat ascender plates are all sold out. Anybody holding?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

wait one, checking
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

sorry nope
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Thanks!
    Galibier Design

I have verts for sale

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Rod, pm’ing you.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I have verts for sale

I'm not familiar with those. Similar item, I assume?

... Thom
    Galibier Design

The verts are the original tools, made of a hard plastic, you put them on your boots without crampons.
    They have more flotation

I assume @jorion got the verts.

While Googling to find "Verticals" that aren't Dynafit, I found an online shop that has the BGs in stock and pointed my buddy to them. It's all on him now.

I've had a passing interest in the BGs (and @swissiphic's milk crates) but never studied them closely. It looks like quite the fiddle factor to put BGs on, but then wallowing in knee deep and deeper sucks a lot of energy.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I have a second pair of verts

Lemme ask him. He's on a plane ride back home at the moment.

So, the Verts can't be used with crampons, but they have more float?
    Galibier Design

Thom, I’m glad rod had another pair, I didn’t even realize I was snaking you earlier. I had been skimming and thought you had already found what you were looking for. It’s moot, but wanted to acknowledge that that was poor form on my part.

Make your own? I've made quite a few, you cut them out of road furniture - plastic highway barriers.
    Knowledge is Powder

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i skied the ruth

at bindings and skins work fine for us
    why would he want verts?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I've used both Billy Goat plates and Verts. I own and prefer verts, though I can see the limited use-cases where billy goat plates might be better.

I've used verts in everything from quite firm, steep snow (re: crampon territory) to powder, and they're pretty damn competent; it takes some time to get the boot/vert fit dialed in perfectly, and I usually have to tighten them down again after the first 15 minutes of booting. I've never felt the need to switch from verts to crampons, though they do take some getting used to (trust issues) in firm conditions.

Billy goats are marginally better in super firm conditions (eventually, nothing replaces a true crampon, but why would you even want to ski that?), but they are heavier, have a worse gait, and they don't float as well.

Btw, the verts, including the ones I'm selling, have a goofy method of attaching to the ski boots. Fiddly.

A better method is to get a long voile strap, attach it to the verts and use it to secure the verts to the back of the boot.

You can cut the black straps and the rear orange plastic strap that is on the verts now.

The voile strap can be tightened quite a bit and you will have a better, more secure connection to the boot, but to speak that it will save you s lot of time and aggravation when you put them on. Which is always in a precarious position.

To be more clear, cut the strap in half, attach the cut eggs on either side of the vet, so the clasp and the uncut end face towards the end of the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I've used both Billy Goat plates and Verts. I own and prefer verts, though I can see the limited use-cases where billy goat plates might be better.

I've used verts in everything from quite firm, steep snow (re: crampon territory) to powder, and they're pretty damn competent; it takes some time to get the boot/vert fit dialed in perfectly, and I usually have to tighten them down again after the first 15 minutes of booting. I've never felt the need to switch from verts to crampons, though they do take some getting used to (trust issues) in firm conditions.

Billy goats are marginally better in super firm conditions (eventually, nothing replaces a true crampon, but why would you even want to ski that?), but they are heavier, have a worse gait, and they don't float as well.
    BG are more convenient to carry.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Thanks everyone. My buddy just got back into town. He has a hard-on for the BillyGoat version. I have no idea what his plans are (in terms of wanting/needing Verts or BGs for the Ruth), but that's his choice ;-)

I learned quite a bit from this thread (as usual), and of course, a big thumbs up to Voile straps. Yeah, if it were me, I'd go the @swissiphic way and try making them ;-)

I thought I'd add something to this thread from maggot @1000-oaks ... another option (CramPow) - pricey:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...86#post6123986

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    BG are more convenient to carry.
    yeah this is true

verts suck to carry. no two cents about it. always some awkward mess of voile straps - the design just doesn't pack flat and there's really no easy way to carry them

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk