Thread: Hardtail Advice

Hardtail Advice

Been riding a rigid fork mtn bike for around town / gravel / light single track. Like to get something newer from this century with a front shock (Rode an intense uzzi sl many moons ago now road bikes and rigid mtn bike). Bike shop inventory is almost non-existent so I'm pretty set on the used market. There is a 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert World Cup Expert Carbon available nearby for a nice price. If I'm not doing any racing or serious riding is this bike going to be high maintenance or too twitchy a ride? Don't know how this bike compares to some other hardtail offerings out there. Also a Yeti Big Top available with 10mm more travel (100mm). Dont know how these compare. Any advice before I drop some coin with minimal test rides is much appreciated.

Both those bikes are basically obsolete. What's your budget?

Wow ok, I'd like to keep it under 2k

New geometry and parts are just so much better it's not worth going that old in my opinion. Drivetrains, brakes, dropper posts have came leaps and bounds in the last 7 years. Should be able to pick up a newer hardtail between 1500-2k, finding stuff right now can be tricky though.

Others in agreement? Both bikes are around 1200 bucks and in nice shape.

Agreed. Skip them. I'd look for something less than 3 years old and with a 130-140mm travel fork.

Something like a Specialized Fuse would be a good bet, although I'd be very surprised if you could find one new.

Hardtail Advice

I’m replacing some aging gear with a Fuse which is a solid recommendation. Similar bikes to consider (if you can find) Salsa Timberjack, Santa Cruz Chameleon Aluminum, Marin San Qunentin 27.5, Kona Honzo, probably a few others.

Plenty more XCish hard tails these days that would be a good ride as well, Spec Chisel, Scott Scale, Trek _X/procaliber.

Problem is that they’re all gonna be tough to find, of the list above the Honzos and Chameleon are probably the most common I’ve seen. I put in an order for a Fuse Expert about a month ago and supposed to get it in June, but not counting on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been riding a Trek Stache (29+) for a couple of years and have been very impressed. The geometry isn't as progressive as many new bikes but it feels really capable. I'm running a 150mm Pike on there but will probably drop it to 140 or even 130. The 29+ tires monster truck most everything. I've moved back to Bontrager XR2 tires and it still has a ton of grip. Was running a more aggressive tire but the larger contact patch seems to work well with a faster rolling tire.

It feels quite efficient, climbs well, and descends really well also. They are a little hard to find but are worth keeping in mind.

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200626_205735.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	375055

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200513_202006.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	375056

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I bought a new Commencal Meta HT this spring. Ordered in March for a April 30th delivery. Looks like my specific model sold out but they have others with July availability. Pretty great bike for the price

https://www.commencalusa.com/PBSCCat...BCATID=3872637

When I was shopping over the winter, SC Chameleon, Meta HT, Kona Honzo, Rocky Mountain Growler were a few on the list. Wound up with a rigid Krampus as I wanted something interesting for the tame trails around here.

Lotta good hardtail choices these days esp from the consumer direct brands. Many are $2k or less. Look for around 65 deg head angle, 140+ mm travel, and a wheelbase well over 1200 mm (mine is 1250) in a L or XL.