Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A week in early June. Where to go?

We have a week off leaving the Sunday after Memorial Day, back the following weekend.

Leaving from SWCO (Durango), our plan was to take our van and either go to the northern Rockies (ID, WY, MT) or the California coast

Though, it occurs to me that:
    -early June is too early to enjoy the Northern Rockies (lots of alpine trails not dry yet)

-California is super far away and crowded with douchebags. We’d burn up 1/2 our time just getting there and back.

Also, desert locations in Utah will already be too hot.

So where would you go? We are fine with hot as long as there is water. And we prefer to camp NOT in campgrounds. Our van is 4x4 and pretty capable.

Anyone? Thoughts?

ogden
    swing your fucking sword.

Last edited by m2711c; 05-17-2021 at 09:35 AM.

^^i'll be at beartooth second week of june.

Early June? I'd go to the San Juans for alpine wildflowers and fishing. Oh, wait, you're in dgo. In that case, I got nuthin.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Blackhills and Badlands area are cool

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/black...d=FSEPRD533421

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    ogden
    But if my van scores positive GOTOS points but the trip would be negative Ogdons, is it even worth it? Maybe I should just go upstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Early June? I'd go to the San Juans for alpine wildflowers and fishing. Oh, wait, you're in dgo. In that case, I got nuthin.
    I know. We were just saying “if we didn’t live here already we’d just come to Durango”.

But we want to see somewhere different

What do you want to do while you're where ever you end up?

We are leaving about the same time from SLC in our camper van and going to Oregon: Joesph for fun and Oakridge to bike. Oakridge should have a ton of vert dry by then. I hope. My wife knows a girl who works at a bike shop in Oakridge and has the scoop. I probably should double check though. ShralpMachio what's the scoop there? Hoping to hit Crater NP too.

I follow the Downieville shuttle company and their last post hinted at the shuttle road being almost ready, but I'm not a local to decipher exactly what that means...is the main DH trail dry then too? I dunno.

Northern New Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    What do you want to do while you're where ever you end up?
    That’s a fair question.

Some mtb, though it’s not my wife’s favorite thing to do

Some climbing. Sport cragging.

Cool hikes? Dramatic scenery? Unique geography? Trail runs? Swimming holes? Hot springs? Sweet camps to vanlife?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1621267940.952655.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	374861

We thought 139, Douglas Pass road, was pretty cool, then head up to Flaming Gorge area, maybe stop at the Dinosaur National Monument. Flaming Gorge has lots of interesting topography, there has to be good rock climbing around there. Swimming and fishing options.

From there, if the wanderlust is strong, take 80, stop in Ogden, head up to City of Rocks, camp up by Pomerelle, stop in Boise, hit the Wine Coop, drive up through the Burnt River to Baker City, check out Phillips Reservoir, camp around Anthony Lakes, drive up through Elgin and down to Joseph OR.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

City of rocks, id?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    We thought 139, Douglas Pass road, was pretty cool, then head up to Flaming Gorge area, maybe stop at the Dinosaur National Monument. Flaming Gorge has lots of interesting topography, there has to be good rock climbing around there. Swimming and fishing options.

From there, if the wanderlust is strong, take 80, stop in Ogden, head up to City of Rocks, camp up by Pomerelle, stop in Boise, hit the Wine Coop, drive up through the Burnt River to Baker City, check out Phillips Reservoir, camp around Anthony Lakes, drive up through Elgin and down to Joseph OR.
    A good rule of thumb is to always do Buster's suggested itineraries.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

That route from Baker City, through John Day, Bend, down to Chemult, Crater Lake, Diamond Lake and down the Umpqua is a super stunner.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

What about Londonderry, VT?

The black flies should be gone by then.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

That route from Baker City, through John Day, Bend, down to Chemult, Crater Lake, Diamond Lake and down the Umpqua is a super stunner.
    Which is why it's going to be mobbed this year (I think I read it's currently the second most popular road trip destination in the West, behind Utah).

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I know. We were just saying “if we didn’t live here already we’d just come to Durango”.

But we want to see somewhere different
    Penitente Canyon, Sand dunes (if you haven't been before), beer/hanging in Salida, Westcliffe, back side of Greenhorn Mountain (home of the "Gardner Gold"), Cuchara/Spanish Peaks loop, Latir wilderness.

I'd recommend driving from Joesph to Boise (or vice versa) through Hells Canyon on Pine Road, just make sure the road is open.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I follow the Downieville shuttle company and their last post hinted at the shuttle road being almost ready, but I'm not a local to decipher exactly what that means...is the main DH trail dry then too? I dunno.
    Once the road to Packer Saddle (shuttle dropoff) has melted out they will start running shuttles. The trails up top will still have snow - patches, if not large snow fields. In the past they have put up flagging tape to show people where to go across large patches.

North Rim of the Grand Canyon might be an option. I've seen pics of a few people riding it recently. You could hit up Bryce, Zion, Thunder Mtn as well plus whatever else along the way.

ogden is full

Where the even fuck that is?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Where the even fuck that is?
    i see that you too are a scholar of the english language.