Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I had the same question as the OP but was actually thinking of going to Southern Colorado. Think the alpine trails near Durango will be dry second week of June?

One or both of these via Jarbridge NV. I was on a fire near Jarbridge back in the day, it was pretty empty - hopefully it still is.

https://www.blm.gov/programs/nationa...-birds-of-prey

https://www.blm.gov/visit/owyhee-wild-scenic-river

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I had the same question as the OP but was actually thinking of going to Southern Colorado. Think the alpine trails near Durango will be dry second week of June?
    Hard to say if the true alpine will be good, but all the mid-country (Hermosa, etc) is already awesome.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    North Rim of the Grand Canyon might be an option. I've seen pics of a few people riding it recently. You could hit up Bryce, Zion, Thunder Mtn as well plus whatever else along the way.
    I like this idea. I’ve spent some time on the North Rim riding and it’s awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    We thought 139, Douglas Pass road, was pretty cool, then head up to Flaming Gorge area, maybe stop at the Dinosaur National Monument. Flaming Gorge has lots of interesting topography, there has to be good rock climbing around there. Swimming and fishing options.

From there, if the wanderlust is strong, take 80, stop in Ogden, head up to City of Rocks, camp up by Pomerelle, stop in Boise, hit the Wine Coop, drive up through the Burnt River to Baker City, check out Phillips Reservoir, camp around Anthony Lakes, drive up through Elgin and down to Joseph OR.
    This sounds like a great idea.

If you're not too tired of driving 550, I'd suggest a beeline north to GJ/Fruita, then north over Douglas pass.

North through Vernal and past Flaming gorge rez. Amazing camping all around the area.

Continue until you hit I-80 then jog over and up past Fontenelle rez, follow the Green river north then swing into Jh for a day or two.

Cool weather and plenty to see and do. Not too hard to avoid crowds which are not peak yet.
    Drive thru Grand Teton and Yellowstone and over Beartooth pass; end up in Red lodge for some skiing up on the pass which will have just opened. 20 foot snowbanks at 11k'.

North and east will get you to Little Big Horn NB; west will put you into Bozeman.
    Then south on 191 past Big sky, thru Island park, West jelly zone for some blue ribbon troots and more amazing camping.

Maybe some I-15 time south to UT and all the cool stuff there.
    Lava hot springs, Bear Lake, Arches, Canyonlands, Dolores river canyon/Gateway stretch.

Holla for campspot deets...

Also, I'm a big fan of City of Rocks but it can be hot there early...high desert.

YES!!! This. This is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    ^^i'll be at beartooth second week of june.
    Right on! Bummer I'll likely miss you. I'm hoping to make it up to that neck of the woods end of June/beginning of July.

What brings you to this nape of the woods, neck of the wape?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    That’s a fair question.

Some mtb, though it’s not my wife’s favorite thing to do

Some climbing. Sport cragging.

Cool hikes? Dramatic scenery? Unique geography? Trail runs? Swimming holes? Hot springs? Sweet camps to vanlife?

Attachment 374861
    Some really good recs in here already. Depending on how much you want to drive and weather, I'd say head north towards SLC. If weather is not too hot, off the beaten path towards the south end of City of Rocks. There's plenty of MTB between D'go and there. Great climbs at the City. That could be a couple days with some ride or climb time. From there, good sport climbing around Twin Falls and Boise. I could point you to some cool side drives, rides and hikes around there. If weather turns hot, north from Twin Falls towards Stanley. That puts you in more climbing, riding and beauty. From there, another fork in the road to more riding climbing in ID or east to MT. If weather stays cool, I like the idea of heading to OR. I'd either swing through the Wallowas or over to Alvord and the Steens. Steens would put you close to Bend and Smith Rock. That's some solid days at the wheel though. If things look hot, I'd err to the Jackson side and then north. The middle through Ketchum/Stanley area would give you more options of either desert or high mountains if the weather turns one way or the other.

What's funny is I wouldn't overlook some of the high desert stuff for fear of heat. It might be hot but we've had some cool Junes too. I like the trips where everything isn't planned by the day. I had one of my best Moab trips ever in August. We were thinking of heading somewhere else and the temps dropped to the 80s and we spent three days there riding on a road trip by ourselves because who goes to Moab to ride in August.

Happy to hit you with some off the beaten path routes if you decide to be in Southwest ID for part of your trip. They used to not be crowded at all but that is changing. Still less crowded than some places. We've been discovered like everywhere...

Bemidji MN for crappies

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1621368879.096069.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	374991

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Sorry, was distracted, for what now?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    We are leaving about the same time from SLC in our camper van and going to Oregon: Joesph for fun and Oakridge to bike. Oakridge should have a ton of vert dry by then. I hope. My wife knows a girl who works at a bike shop in Oakridge and has the scoop. I probably should double check though. ShralpMachio what's the scoop there? Hoping to hit Crater NP too.
    I rode Oakridge in late June last year and the middle part of Alpine (between Windy Pass and the shelter) still had a fair amount of of mud. This year is looking a lot dryer though. The Cog Wild website has trail conditions.

I follow the Downieville shuttle company and their last post hinted at the shuttle road being almost ready, but I'm not a local to decipher exactly what that means...is the main DH trail dry then too? I dunno.
    Yuba Expeditions will usually start running shuttles once the road is clear and they've logged the main trails - there may still be some snow but usually not much. Sometimes they get a crew together to do some shoveling. I think they're planning to start shuttles Memorial Day weekend this year. Not sure about the other company.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    City of rocks, id?
    This or Vedauwoo WY, both have great climbing, mtb and free camping.