Fuck the fucking fuck who stole my bike / what gravel/sportive bike for $2k

I went down into the basement of my apartment building on Saturday, excited to go for a ride and take advantage of the beautiful spring weather DC is having... and found the wire mesh door of my storage unit bent open, my bike gone, and my helmet tossed on the ground. So fuck that fucking fuck.

Insurance *should* cover a replacement, and the biking bug bit hard, so... I'm back in the market.

The stolen bike was a 2018 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc 105, in a 54. The upright/endurance geometry worked well for me - I have a bad low back - but I think I might lean *slightly* more gravel-oriented for a replacement... like, I mostly ride on asphalt (Hains laps, etc), for a workout, but when I can drive out of DC on weekends, the gravel roads have nicer drivers/etc. I had no issues picking my way through those sort of hardback roads on the 25mm GatorSkins I had on the Synapse... but I realize there are better tools for the job.

Suggestions? I need stack of 560 (or more) and reach of ~380 (or less). I like the look of the Ribble CGR SL (but it won't get here till July), some of the Canyons, etc. Aesthetically, I like dropped seat stays, but that's just cause I'm trying to be trendy. Any suggestions?

Buy the one that you think looks the nicest, it’ll be the one you ride the most.

If you liked it, just buy your bike again, but this time put on 32mm tires.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3018279/

What options are actually available to you right now?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Someone here inCordova AK is selling that same bike. Saw it on our local classifieds. $1800. Fishing till Tuesday but can check on it for you

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Someone here inCordova AK is selling that same bike. Saw it on our local classifieds. $1800. Fishing till Tuesday but can check on it for you
    it is probably the guy that stole it in DC.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    DC to AK bike arbitrage. Winning!
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Yeah, No. There is no good way to get things in and out of Cordova quickly or affordably. The only way in is boat or air and nothing happens on a budget, or at least didn't 30 years ago when I lived there.

That's not mine (obviously). I put specialized hover bars on the bike, with gray bar tape, so it looks reasonably distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Yeah, No. There is no good way to get things in and out of Cordova quickly or affordably. The only way in is boat or air and nothing happens on a budget, or at least didn't 30 years ago when I lived there.
    i was being facetious.

Steal ur facetious?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Steal ur facetious?
    resident pun expert

I rode in DC Tuesday.
    I still think you should get a HT29r.

Riding a road bike full time there is crazy.

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/new...3e8b0e5ba.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I rode in DC Tuesday.
    I still think you should get a HT29r.

Riding a road bike full time there is crazy.

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/new...3e8b0e5ba.html
    Well, agree to disagree. Except I also think people who *want* to ride road bikes on like, 16th St or Constitution during rush hour are idiots. Sometimes you have to duck in for a couple blocks but riding a road bike on a major traffic artery in DC / around the idiot drivers on our roads is... stupid. So in the city, I ride a lot of Hains Point, Capital Crescent, Anacostia Trail, and the occasional Mt Vernon trail. Outside of the city Loudoun County etc have plenty of lightly trafficked backroads - both gravel and pavement.

If you’re looking at gravel and liked your synapse might not be a bad idea to hop on a topstone and see how you feel about it.

I ride a Slate , have ridden a couple of Topstones and will be buying one next season.

Topstone 1 Alloy with GRX at REI.

https://www.rei.com/product/184501/c...e-1-alloy-bike

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    And FWIW, with an REI credit card, you'll get 10% back on full price items (REI dividend) plus another 5% for using the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thread drift:

This makes me wonder if attaching a Tile or Airtag would be good on a bike now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

I've had that recommendation previously with 'TrackR' from some nerdy friends 5 years ago, but the adoption just wasnt there to really be able to track stuff.

Now that it's tied into iOS... I would say it's a pretty good idea. under the top cap between the star nut? seatpost?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Thread drift:

This makes me wonder if attaching a Tile or Airtag would be good on a bike now.
    Yeah, responding to myself, but someone has tested this:

Apple's AirTag Saved My Bike (Real Theft) - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by seldon View Post
    Well, agree to disagree. Except I also think people who *want* to ride road bikes on like, 16th St or Constitution during rush hour are idiots. Sometimes you have to duck in for a couple blocks but riding a road bike on a major traffic artery in DC / around the idiot drivers on our roads is... stupid. So in the city, I ride a lot of Hains Point, Capital Crescent, Anacostia Trail, and the occasional Mt Vernon trail. Outside of the city Loudoun County etc have plenty of lightly trafficked backroads - both gravel and pavement.
    Don’t sleep on the W&OD. Post ride beers at Caboose Tavern are fun, or New District close to the start. Can be crowded on weekends, but we did a lot of pandemic riding out there.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums