Thread: Volkl kendo 88

Volkl kendo 88

I ski now on volkl katanas, and I'm looking for a narrower ski to have fun again in bumps.

The katanas are a bit wide for steep, zipper bumps.

How would the kendo 88 ski in bumps?

I'm not looking to ski exclusively bumps, but at Squaw, bumps are unavoidable

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

One of the most fun skis I have ever ridden. And also the most fragile cuz I blew them up a couple times before having to put them to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    One of the most fun skis I have ever ridden. And also the most fragile cuz I blew them up a couple times before having to put them to bed.
    Blew them up like they broke or the edges?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Blew them up like they broke or the edges?

First was an edge and then a tip. Yes, rocks were involved. But no more so than my random encounters every year. That one just didn’t hold up.
    That said, I put in a post way back in the half pair thread and would be stoked if someone magically had a match. I got my best little airs off random hits with those sticks. Super fun.

I saw someone ripping those fairly big, funky bumps off Siberia last week on newer blue Kendos. I specifically looked them up online when I got home, because I was intrigued.

I was skiing those big bumps with my Menace 98s, which made them easy, but I prefer my old 184 Monster 98s for skiing them faster. Kendos seem fun.
    Last edited by AEV; 05-15-2021 at 11:15 PM.

I have loved mine. It is a very versatile ski. I have also found them to be durable (I ended up using them for a week of off-piste work in Zermatt, and there were a lot of rocks) so either I got an exceptional pair or maybe SkiBall got a dud pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Relish View Post
    I have loved mine. It is a very versatile ski. I have also found them to be durable (I ended up using them for a week of off-piste work in Zermatt, and there were a lot of rocks) so either I got an exceptional pair or maybe SkiBall got a dud pair.
    Don’t think they were so much a dud, but could be the year. Mine were about 8 years ago maybe?

The Kendo 88 are much more playful and versatile than the previous generations that came out before 2019/2020. It used to be 2 full sheets of metal(now uses their titanal frame like the latest Mantras) prior to that as well as being 90mm underfoot. They also feature the 3D radius which makes them very fun even at low speeds when you access the tighter underfoot radius and are able to make super G turns if you lightly tip them on edge and access the longer tip/tail radius. Swing weight is lighter even though the overall weight isn’t much different than previous versions and it’s flex pattern is more forgiving.

Not much tip/tail taper so it has good edge grip with long flat rocker so it’s easy to pivot when flat. Pretty good ski in moguls and very stable on groomers.

Enforcer 88 would be easier to skid and pivot but not as good edge grip and not as stable at speed. Brahma 88 would even better edge grip than the Kendo 88, more damp but again not as willing to go straight as the Kendo 88 is.

I'm not looking to ski exclusively bumps, but at Squaw, bumps are unavoidable
    I'm surprised, I'm usually the only one complaining. Not really complaining about the bumps, I like bumps, but because it makes ski purchases hard when you ski mostly at Squaw.

OP, how thin do you really want to go? What size Katanas are you on? What made you think Kendos?
    Last edited by AEV; 05-15-2021 at 11:12 PM.

I'm on 184 katanas.

I don't want to get down to a true mogul ski, but I'm thinking of a narrower ski for days without powder or crud.

I used to ski on bonafides on non powder days, but i realized i liked my katanas better.

Interesting that West face or chute 75 bumps are ok on katanas, but Siberia bumps suck for me.

I have older Kendo’s and older Mantras.....I recently demoed and bought a pair of the Mantra M6’s. Crazy good all around ski...

I'm on 184 katanas.

I don't want to get down to a true mogul ski, but I'm thinking of a narrower ski for days without powder or crud.

I used to ski on bonafides on non powder days, but i realized i liked my katanas better.

Interesting that West face or chute 75 bumps are ok on katanas, but Siberia bumps suck for me.

I love Headwall and Siberia, and those funky bumps have been dictating my ski purchases the past few years. From 98mm-118mm. I know the feels. I need to ski Alpine more, and go east to Utah more often. I literally got mad at Xavier today because he didn't understand, I got stuck in my head thinking everyone else skis Siberia everyday. What's it like picking a powder ski for Maryjane?

Katanas were OK as you said, but you can do much better for bumps while still tackling the rest of the mountain. I daily drove 184 Katanas for a season in Jackson Hole when I was young and lighter, then moved to North Lake Tahoe and used some 191s as I got fatter.

Wait, are you talking the older Katanas, or the new ones?

TBH I think 88 is a bit thin for Squaw, but more power to ya! I find Squaw one of the more "weather affected" mountains I've skied, and I think the right 98mm ski would be money for you, no matter what Katana you're on. If you have a larger quiver though, for sure get a 88mm ski.

I'm on the metal katanas in the resort and the carbon in the backcountry.

Which 98 might work well?
    I had the older bonafides and i liked the katanas better in most conditions

I'm on the metal katanas in the resort and the carbon in the backcountry.

Which 98 might work well?
    I had the older bonafides and i liked the katanas better in most conditions

I want some of those carbo Katanas so bad. 191s. I found some at a good price but the new tech got me twisted. I have met a few people that ski them inbounds for bumps, instead of their metal version they use for charging. One shape for everything, different construction, such a great concept.

I felt the same with the older Cochises compared to Katanas. The Katanas always shined a little brighter, everywhere on the hill, even though they were wider. I like the stats of the new Bonafide though. Everything looks right, just size it accordingly.

I'm using 187cm Menace 98s and they are great, but I preferred my 184cm Monster 98s and 188cm Moment PB&Js for this purpose. All of my Moment skis have been quick in bumps for their relative stability in all conditions.

So many 98-102mm options. I'm actually going to ask around Tahoe the next few days and get back to you. I want to know too.
    Last edited by AEV; 05-19-2021 at 11:37 PM.