Thread: Fuck Venmo

Fuck Venmo

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...s-secret-venmo

Forget the political angle of the story.
    That much data on users is just wrong
    . . .

Yep, everything we use that supposedly makes life easier for us makes it easier to watch what we are doing. Did you not know that?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Always private, always.

Haven’t yet read the article but Yeah I’ve been saying fuck Venmo for years. I’m surprised at how many friends don’t think about how Venmo operates as a business model.

We really need an equivalent of Europe's GDPR here in the US. That would significantly scale back the privacy intrusions by these companies.

It would make the most sense to just sign on to GDPR here. A lot of companies already have to comply if they have European customers/clients. They already have the framework and policies in place, just expand to US customers/clients.

Of course that would never happen. Politicians are already owned by corporate America. We'd end up with some watered down or corporate friendly version that doesn't accomplish much.

Anybody else use Strike instead?

https://beta.strike.me/

There are databases with millions of rows of data collected about you, that is sold and resold by/to every major corporation, "enriched" with more data about you by data brokers and data providers (looking at you Experian)...

At the end of the day, it's such a colossal amount of data that it's only used to create cohorts of people who are similar to you, so a personalized ad can be delivered to you and your household.

Take comfort in the fact that other than tech bloggers wringing their hands, 99.9% of us are not so special or unique that anyone would even take the time to connect the dots or target "you". Rather, an advertisers goes to a data company and says, "we want to target dentists with a special interest in skiing, Sprinter vans, and husky latina babes, who recently moved in the last 12 months". This is done through entirely automatic processes.

The final step is a data broker provides a list of say 600,000 device IDs that match the specific cohort for an advertiser to upload in to an ad networks targeting list. The advertiser says "okay" and transfers the targeting list to ad network and doesn't even look at the list, often transferred in an automated process that is end to end encrypted. Advertisers care about the results but no one in advertising is likely ever looking at "you".

source- I've been working at a data broker for the last 9 months.

The alternative is me getting baby diaper ads instead of yeti bike ads. I know what I would rather see...

Interesting.... You can learn so much about damn near anything here.

Doesn't alter the fact that with about 10-15 minutes of snooping someones shit gets dumped on the table.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    There are databases with millions of rows of data collected about you, that is sold and resold by/to every major corporation, "enriched" with more data about you by data brokers and data providers (looking at you Experian)...

At the end of the day, it's such a colossal amount of data that it's only used to create cohorts of people who are similar to you, so a personalized ad can be delivered to you and your household.

Take comfort in the fact that other than tech bloggers wringing their hands, 99.9% of us are not so special or unique that anyone would even take the time to connect the dots or target "you". Rather, an advertisers goes to a data company and says, "we want to target dentists with a special interest in skiing, Sprinter vans, and husky latina babes, who recently moved in the last 12 months". This is done through entirely automatic processes.

The final step is a data broker provides a list of say 600,000 device IDs that match the specific cohort for an advertiser to upload in to an ad networks targeting list. The advertiser says "okay" and transfers the targeting list to ad network and doesn't even look at the list, often transferred in an automated process that is end to end encrypted. Advertisers care about the results but no one in advertising is likely ever looking at "you".

The alternative is me getting baby diaper ads instead of yeti bike ads. I know what I would rather see...
    Tits. The answer is tits. What do I win?

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post

As bill hicks famously said about marketers and advertisers. “Just kill yourself”

You are satans spawn

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    As bill hicks famously said about marketers and advertisers. “Just kill yourself”

You are satans spawn

Meh. It's better than being a lawyer.

And I just left the job at the data broker anyways, but it was really interesting to have insight in to how it all works.

If you don't want to be tracked, you need to not use a smartphone or connected tv/smart tv (or any devices made by Roku.) Smart tv are almost worse than cellphones, which is why there has been such dramatic drop in price in TVs... they are cheap because they are meant to serve you ads and collect data about you, which using your IP address can be triangulated with your cell phone, tablets, etc for a notion of "household" which allows for unified ads to all your devices.

I never see ads on my “smart” tv.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I never see ads on my “smart” tv.

You likely don't if you're not consuming "free" content. But you see ads all the time elsewhere influenced by your smart tv usage and viewing habits.

Meh. It's better than being a lawyer.

And I just left the job at the data broker anyways, but it was really interesting to have insight in to how it all works.

If you don't want to be tracked, you need to not use a smartphone or connected tv/smart tv (or any devices made by Roku.) Smart tv are almost worse than cellphones, which is why there has been such dramatic drop in price in TVs... they are cheap because they are meant to serve you ads and collect data about you, which using your IP address can be triangulated with your cell phone, tablets, etc for a notion of "household" which allows for unified ads to all your devices.
    Heh. I quit law. I hate lawyers. And plaintiffs. And the whole system.

Good points about ubiquitous tracking. Just one data point that connects you to the other databases and you are the target.

Sometimes I daydream about rotary phones and no internet.
    . . .

You likely don't if you're not consuming "free" content. But you see ads all the time elsewhere influenced by your smart tv usage and viewing habits.
    You’re right, but I don’t see ads on my phone even though they’re there.