Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

School me on undercoating

Had my 18-year-old 4Runner rust out on me with a big hole in the passenger-side frame, took it to multiple garages and all concurred. I realize it was a frame model recalled on the same year's Tacoma, but for some reason not on the 4Runner, so partly a manufacturing problem. They no longer make the v8 and after 225K miles had to say my goodbye. I still miss it.

Fast forward and finally got a new SUV and wondering about whether any non-dealer undercoating is worth it. We drive our cars for a long time and live in the northeast where salt is inevitable. Consumer Report says nay, lot's of forums say just wash it after a storm, others say do it.

As with anything, I figured I'd reach out to real experts on TGR on whether it's worth it and, if so, which kind? Much appreciated!
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Been treating my 4Runner with fluid film. Have a shop do it every fall. They do a good job of getting it where it’s needed. Bit of a smell after a long drive right after application. Seems to have stopped the rust progression.

Undercoating is better for sound than for rust IMO. Especially on a vehicle not coming direct off the lot. Can't ever get all the nooks and crannies that hold salt coated debris cleaned after a winter or two to properly coat. And even then, any place in the undercarriage that got any oil or grease on it won't let the undercoat stick, which means you got a bubble that will eventually open and be another spot to collect road salt. So, I would say no. But a penetrant like Flounder suggests helps, but its an ongoing application. I'm big on regular washing, with a big 2" firehose in the spring to flush everything I can get to. But not everyone has access to a 2" firehose ...

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoski View Post
    Had my 18-year-old 4Runner rust out on me... They no longer make the v8 and after 225K miles had to say my goodbye. I still miss it.

Fast forward and finally got a new SUV
    FWIW, a Lexus GX is essentially a fancy 4Runner with a V8. And still in production.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

https://nhoilundercoating.com/

Never tried it. But have heard good things.

But you really should get the truecoat.

Don’t make me get the sales manager.
    . . .

TruCoat

If undercoating is done from the start of a vehicle's life it is 100% worth it

I have an 05 tundra and its been sprayed every year since it was new, and you can really tell. Only rust on it is the hitch ball.

The previous owner sprayed with boiled linseed oil, but i've kept it up with Rust Check.

BLO on a car lol I've heard it all now

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I’m wondering if it even lasted a hundred miles. BLO, and linseed oil, are fairly shit as coating durability goes. They can look really pretty, but durability wise suck.

4WD rig in australia often means extensive driving in salt water, and we took rustproofing seriously. Lanolin based products had the best rep IME for annual use. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143210104431

I found some at NAPA for $40/gal

^^^How would you apply that every year without a lift?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Lanolin based products had the best rep IME for annual use.
    Agreed. Fluid Film is lanolin based. Quite a few shops in Vermont use it. Really needs to be done on a lift to get it everywhere.

I drive a 1999 4Runner with 144,000 miles on it. Colorado vehicle. In 2003 I took it to Slee off-road in Golden, and had rock sliders welded on. It is amazing how mag chloride got in behind the sliders powder coating and rotted them away. They are open on the bottom due to rust. The vehicles frame seems fine. All it had was a factory or dealer applied undercoating. I’m the second owner and don’t know where the under coating was applied. Was the frame recall on the Tacomas after 2002?

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I drive a 1999 4Runner with 144,000 miles on it. Colorado vehicle. In 2003 I took it to Slee off-road in Golden, and had rock sliders welded on. It is amazing how mag chloride got in behind the sliders powder coating and rotted them away. They are open on the bottom due to rust. The vehicles frame seems fine. All it had was a factory or dealer applied undercoating. I’m the second owner and don’t know where the under coating was applied. Was the frame recall on the Tacomas after 2002?
    Thanks everyone. Will probably have fluid film applied - seems some people have had good experiences.

Yes, the Tacoma frame was recalled but post-dated your model 4Runner. At the time, I remember there was a recall on the Tacomas - they would hand their trucks in to the dealer for a few months and get the whole frame changed. It was the same frame as that generation 4Runner but that was never recalled. The class action suit on the pickup trucks was settled but a separate suit on the 4Runner is pending.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...es-111416.html

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/2005-20...-this-lawsuit/
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Stay away from the 3m rubberized shit. The Fluid Film system is realistically the best option stateside. In Europe, where salt is used with abandon, the best is variations of cable grease(seilfett) not much fun to work on underneath. but nothing rusts.

edit: spelling
    Last edited by Svengali; 05-31-2021 at 07:36 AM.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

I was reading lanolin is a great cheap rust inhibitor. Fluid film is based in it. In can't find it for cheap. Anyone have a source?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    I was reading lanolin is a great cheap rust inhibitor. Fluid film is based in it. In can't find it for cheap. Anyone have a source?
    They sell Fluid Film in gallons, and I've seen 5-gallon buckets too. Or were you looking for something cheaper?

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Pr.../dp/B004NDDCKK
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Isn't a gallon what it takes to coat a car? It costs about the same to have the car done at a shop. I was expecting the material to cost half.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Isn't a gallon what it takes to coat a car? It costs about the same to have the car done at a shop. I was expecting the material to cost half.
    I don't know. I live in Nevada, they don't do any underneath the car spraying here for rust protection. I just hose off the underside a couple of times per winter, on warmer days.

Fluid film

/endthread

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You can use a lanolin-based anti-rust coating. Also a good method of protection is the use of a zinc plate. You use the zinc plate as the anode and the car body as the cathode. This method is used to protect boats in seawater.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    Stay away from the 3m rubberized shit. The Fluid Film system is realistically the best option stateside. In Europe, where salt is used with abandon, the best is variations of cable grease(seifett) not much fun to work on underneath. but nothing rusts.
    Why is that on the 3M stuff? Think we have one bottle.

I've got a different application, my utility trailer. Simpler application as not as much going on but bottom frame really gets the paint from rocks. Was thinking of finding a piece of alum for that after repainting being a rock guard . Repainting rest and stuff thats not painted or paintable just used engine oil , go old school.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

When I lived in New England I always found a local drive through car wash with an unlimited monthly wash pass. They ranged between $15/mo and $40/mo but it was always worth it for the winter. I'd drive through a couple of times a week. Touchless is better if you care about your paint, but I really just wanted to get the underside of the car clean.

If you'd rather DIY and have a pressure washer, then an attachment like this would make quick work of washing the underside of the car once a week.

Why is that on the 3M stuff?
    The stuff (and any other rubberized / asphalt coatings) dries out/hardens and cracks, then it encapsulates moisture between coating and vehicle/metal
    the basic idea is covered here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXvl9nt57Kg
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

you can goggle Tacoma recalls, besides frames there was also a leaf spring recall

The skier known as Angle parking only had his Taco done at the local dealer, he told me it was a 40hr job

I rode my bike thru the dealer and there were a couple frames stacked up like cord wood in the back, its gotta be a great money making chargeback to Toyota for the dealer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know