Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Windshield micro-pitting

Is there an actual reliable way to recover from this, or is it simply the inevitable replacement???
    I’m not even sure it is micro- pitting - could it be micro-bubbles in the glass??
    In which case I’m properly fucked.

It varies a lot. Depends how bad it is and what the cause is. There's stuff you can buy on Amazon that various people will swear by but I don't remember the brand names, I used some about 5 years that cleaned up some minor sand pitting pretty well. It's probably worth a try, it doesn't cost much and may work. Read reviews for which one, sorry. I just looked on Amazon and nothing rang a bell.

Beyond that if it's bad enough it's probably a new windshield.

no

up here its common to get a coupl doz rock chips every winter, they are part of the lifestyle, i just look trhu them, pay the deductible for a new windshield when i sell the vehical, one of those plexi things on your hood might divert some carnage
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I just end up buying a new windshield every 4-5 years
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Cerium oxide is probably what you're thinking of. It will work for scratches but I'm not sure about pitting.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    no

up here its common to get a coupl doz rock chips every winter, they are part of the lifestyle, i just look trhu them, pay the deductible for a new windshield when i sell the vehical, one of those plexi things on your hood might divert some carnage
    Not the same; entire windshield is loaded with micro pits/bubbles. It’s manageable when the sun is high in the sky but mornings and evenings are brutal.

I've never been able to do anything good about it but I got rid of two cars for other reasons before getting around to replacing the windshields. It's definitely different from rock chips and given how unsafe it can be when the sun's at the right angle I probably would just replace the windshield.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I really need to just bite the bullet and replace mine. Pretty sure it's the original windshield. 2012 Tundra in Montana. Crazy it lasted this long. So pitted that in direct sunlight or headlights at night and it's hard to see out of.

We get a ton of pitting here. Given the cost of readjusting the cameras replacing the windshield unless there's a crack the insurance covers isn't an option. I have found that polarized sunglasses help some. Obviously not an option at night for headlights. We old people don't drive much at night anyway, at least not that we remember.

Cerium oxide won’t touch it.

You’re taking about 400 grit back up through 1000 grit. And then polishing after that.
    Nope.

Pay the man.
    And quit driving that shit until you do.
    You could kill someone. I know it’s only sunrise and sunset. But it could be lights out dirt nap.
    . . .

It sucks that the glass coverage on insurance doesn't cover windshield replacement due to pitting. The one on my BRZ is horrible and almost impossible to drive in certain conditions. About this time last year, before the engine blew, I asked them (Geico) and the guy on the phone told me to park where there are no cameras then toss a big rock at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Montana.
    Welcome to Montana. I buy a new windshield every 3-4 years. They are cheap, even the electrically heated one for a Subaru is only $225 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    It sucks that the glass coverage on insurance doesn't cover windshield replacement due to pitting. The one on my BRZ is horrible and almost impossible to drive in certain conditions. About this time last year, before the engine blew, I asked them (Geico) and the guy on the phone told me to park where there are no cameras then toss a big rock at it.
    Are you serious ? Do you submit a claim when your tires are bald ?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Yeah, it's hard to get a sandblasted windscreen here in Montana since the MDT uses 3/4" drain rock to sand the roads in winter time.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Are you serious ? Do you submit a claim when your tires are bald ?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

my glass policy rider has paid for itself many times over the years. they replace it right in the parking lot while i'm working. easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

my glass policy rider has paid for itself many times over the years. they replace it right in the parking lot while i'm working. easy peasy.
    not if you have cameras like the Eyesight cameras on some suby's. Repairs have to be done in a shop and take a while.

I guess that’s one of the benefits of being so fucking cheap that I only own 30 year old cars.

Quote Originally Posted by MESH View Post
    Cerium oxide is probably what you're thinking of. It will work for scratches but I'm not sure about pitting.
    I've tried that stuff before
    Nothing more than a few thousands deep scratch will be evolved
    Replace it

A review of cerium oxide said it works but you need a professional polisher and 4-5 hours time.

Sure, how thin do u want the glass?

Any one who can't manage a rock hitting their windshield every 2-3 years should sell their car and walk, bike, bus, subway or Uber wherever they need to go. Save money and aggravation.

Windshield micro-pitting

If you use Safelite they offer an optional tinted front windshield with visor and it’s awesome. Only like $10 more too.

Srs - windshields are (barring the goddam fancy-assed ones) surprisingly cheap. Just get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    If you use Safelite they offer an optional tinted front windshield with visor and it’s awesome. Only like $10 more too.
    This has been a game changer on my Tundra, love it!
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    This has been a game changer on my Tundra, love it!
    Holy shit. Safe suck charges an extra ten bucks for that?

It’s a “shaded” windshield. Slightly tinted up top. And it doesn’t cost extra.
    . . .