Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Just the post that implied that a skiers from Montana don't usually make the big show? At least that's how it read to me.
    Yeah, that's not what I meant, my reference was to Great Divide, where the kid grew up skiing. That's our local hill near Helena and it's kinda known for shitty snow (see detrusor's post) but pretty good terrain parks. But whatever, just a dumb joke.

GD is Scot Schmidt's home hill too, actually. He's a Helena native who grew up skiing the "breakable pizza box wind slab." lol

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yeah, that's not what I meant, my reference was to Great Divide, where the kid grew up skiing. That's our local hill near Helena and it's kinda known for shitty snow (see detrusor's post) but pretty good terrain parks. But whatever, just a dumb joke.

GD is Scot Schmidt's home hill too, actually. He's a Helena native who grew up skiing the "breakable pizza box wind slab." lol
    I knew about Scott too, didn't he win the US college national DH title before finding fame and fortune as a cliff jumping superfreak?
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

There was some cat from MT that would come down and kick Tommy Moe's ass at the town downhill at Snow King every year.
    Live Free or Die

Peak skis? Just saw an advertisement

Where are they being made?
    That’s my first question
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Is Bode launch’n a ski academy?!

More than likely the Elan factory in Slovenia. They make a bunch of different brands at that facility
    crab in my shoe mouth

This is taking a turn toward tech talk... but in the meantime, website is peakskis.com (google search doesnt yet pull it up) and limited info on skis (no weights, radius, etc). And odd that longest lengths are 184?

I like the guy. But he’s jumped into too many projects, to lead credence to any of them.

I like Bode too, but feel like the ski market is already pretty saturated these days. I'm sure some people will buy his skis for the name recognition factor, but will they actually be any better than the next pair out there?
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

I'd like to hear him explain what makes these skis better than Crosson skis.

this is him last year (When he was their Chief Innovation Officer)
    When I get on a kickass pair of skis it's exciting, motivating, and pushes me to test my limits in new ways. I have wanted to build skis that give the average skier the chance to experience that same thrill. At Crosson, we leverage science, art, and craft to make great skis. We combine modern materials in new and creative ways to make our skis perform better for all abilities.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20210310.../2021-overview

Are PeakSkis even compatible with SKEO technology?
    https://web.archive.org/web/20210310...skeo-smart-ski
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I think he's just going from brand to brand collecting money until they go under or drop him. If I'm not mistake this is his third brand in the last 5-6 years.

Dude has gone thru 4 ski brands in 4 years. But as long as fools think he is relevant, those same fools with give him money. I anticipate Peak to be out of business in 12 months.

Crosson still has him on their homepage as their "Chief Innovation Officer." They should probably update that.

Bode was on today's Blister Gear:30. It's both fascinating and exhausting to hear him talk about all his projects, Peak, how he could have saved Mikaela's Olympics runs, etc. No shortage of self-confidence!

Lil respect here y'all.
    Y'ar talking about the greatest male American ski racer ever, eh?
    So dug his style, start to finish.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

guess bomber is done before a single pair hit gear swap.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Lil respect here y'all.
    Y'ar talking about the greatest male American ski racer ever, eh?
    So dug his style, start to finish.
    +1.
    The middle was rough (2006).

But he aged - and I appreciate the way he carried himself from 2010 to 2015.

I would urge him to stick with a couple of projects / brands for at least four years If he has that option
    ( I don't know that he had had that option in the last four years, But - )

good luck, Bode !
    it was amazing watching you Ski (race) !

Thank you. skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by FJ62 View Post
    Crosson still has him on their homepage as their "Chief Innovation Officer." They should probably update that.

Bode was on today's Blister Gear:30. It's both fascinating and exhausting to hear him talk about all his projects, Peak, how he could have saved Mikaela's Olympics runs, etc. No shortage of self-confidence!
    Agree with you about it being exhausting to listen to him. I don't think that podcast made him come across as likable - too much hubris. Kind of curious about the skis, it does sound like they're trying some new things which is always cool.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    guess bomber is done before a single pair hit gear swap.
    Rode the lift at Big Sky a couple weeks ago with some kid on Bombers he bought cheap and they were serial #0001.

Bode's partner for Peak Skis is Andy Wirth. For those of you not familiar, that's the fuck-stain that made Squaw a shit show for several years until he was finally ousted during the Alterra merger deal. Things have been so much better since then. I wouldn't touch any product in anyway connected to that douchebag.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Agree with you about it being exhausting to listen to him. I don't think that podcast made him come across as likable - too much hubris. Kind of curious about the skis, it does sound like they're trying some new things which is always cool.
    For real, he talks a mile a minute and every sentence seems to be a claim about changing the game, whatever the game is. Will be interesting to come back to this podcast in a few years and see if any of this actually comes to fruition.

I read through the Peak website, decent marketing mumbo jumbo but does the world really need another ski brand? Seems like there are so many great skis out there today it's just hard to imagine we need another one. Most models priced at $890..

I wouldn't mind crusin a few laps w these two at Taos

from the Bozeman Daily CHRONIC

Bode Miller said there hasn’t been much innovation in the world of ski equipment. He aims to change that.

Tucked away in Four Corners is the headquarters for a new ski line launched by the former ski racer and Olympic gold medalist.

The two-time overall World Cup champion and six-time Olympic medalist launched on Wednesday a Bozeman-based ski line, Peak Ski Company.

Peak Ski Company will start with two lines of skis, one aimed at front country skiers and one for backcountry skiers, both designed by Miller.

Miller, and his co-founder and business partner Andy Wirth, announced the company’s launch on Wednesday during a party at its headquarters at 245 Quail Run Rd.

The company’s headquarters are still undergoing renovations but will eventually have a showroom for the skis and a development facility, called the “Peak Development Group & Innovation Center.”

The 10,000-square-foot facility will be where Miller and other ski designers can test out and manufacture new skis for the company.

While the company launched on Wednesday, the skis won’t go on sale until July. Starting this week, people can “reserve” their desired ski with a $50 refundable deposit on the company’s website.

The lineup of skis for the 2022 to 2023 ski season includes four “front country” skis designed for groomed terrain or resort skiing, and two “side country” skis.

The side country skis are designed to be lighter than traditional touring skis, while still being durable enough to take on ungroomed trails.

The skis will be sold entirely online at peakskis.com. Miller’s company will be exclusively for skis and does not include bindings, boots or other gear.

A third line of skis will be developed later in the year and manufactured in Bozeman — at the Four Corners innovation facility — and dubbed the “Peak DG” skis. Peak Ski’s primary line of skis are manufactured out of Slovenia.

Miller, originally from New Hampshire, moved to Big Sky by way of Southern California in 2018. He lives with his wife and their seven children in the Spanish Peaks Mountain Club.

His business partner, Wirth, lives near Norris. Both told the Chronicle having the company headquartered in Montana was key to its success and that the company reflects Montana’s values.

“We both love the sport and we love being in Montana,” Miller said. “It’s a gritty, cool, down to earth, smallish community where we want to have a positive impact for this area.”

Both Miller and Wirth retired from their careers in the ski industry and moved to Montana around the same time.

They had met before, but here in Montana the two got to know each other and bonded over their shared values and passion for the ski industry, Wirth said.

Wirth previously worked with CrossHarbor Capital Partners — a Boston-based real estate investment firm — that owns the Yellowstone Club and co-owns Spanish Peaks Mountain Club.

Prior to that, Wirth worked with Alterra Mountain Company, as CEO of California ski resort Palisades Tahoe.

About a year ago, Wirth and Miller decided to work on the company in earnest and got to work developing the line of skis that were different from other skis out there.

Miller has always had an eye for new ski designs and, for his part, has helped revolutionize modern skis.

Miller thinks that quality skis can make a difference for skiers of all abilities. He credits much of his success as an Olympic ski racer to his equipment, especially early on in his career.

In the 1996 Junior National Championships, Bode Miller won three out of four events with the new K2 Four, a shaped ski — he’s often credited for the rise in popularity of shaped skis.

Since then, Miller has looked to keep the ski industry innovating. He’s designed skis for other brands and lent his influence and knowledge as an Olympic skier.

What sets his new skis apart, Miller said, is its “Keyhole Technology,” which the company is in the process of patenting.

The keyhole technology is an oval cutaway on the top layer of aluminum-titanium alloy on the skis that help skis be more flexible without compromising power, at least according to Miller.
    Now, they’ll have the ability to continually reinvent and innovate skis.

“We’re pretty confident that within a year or two, this will be known as a hub of innovation globally for the design and construction of skis,” Wirth said.

While the skis are innovative and new, Miller and Wirth said the skis aren’t exclusive to pro skiers or even ski racers. They want to emphasize they’re for everybody.

“They just for skiers, period,” Wirth said.

I saw one promo comparing this to Shane McConkey's concepts about rocker and reverse camber. lol...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

We’re pretty confident that within a year or two, this will be known as a hub of innovation globally for the design and construction of skis,” Wirth said

That's rich. Ppl have been strapping boards to their feet for thousands of years. But lookout for Andy worth in four corners...

Bode rips though. I'll have to drive by and let them know how rad of a skier I am.

Seven kids!?