BD Helio Recon 105 vs Volkl Blaze?

Finding some good deals on these. Anybody have any time on these skis? Most of the reviews I've found for the 105 Recon are around the carbon version of this ski. There was a thread on the Volkl Blaze, with mostly positive reviews but some online reviewers have indicated they were a little skittish on harder snow. Primary use for these skis would be easy BC tours (still learning) and resort skinning.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

I own the recon 105 from 2 yrs ago. I find them very easy to ski and predictable. Mounted -3 from rear line with vipecs. They ski powder pretty well. Sort of dead, dampish feel. I'm not a fan of twitchy, turny skis, so these work ok for me. Not the lightest on the uphill. They handle most conditions in the bc at least better than average. Nothing super inspiring, but they are fun to ski and get the job done.

The construction seems pretty nice and I haven't had any issues over about 40 days so far (mostly bc, but quite a few inbounds laps as well).

Quote Originally Posted by cbgarrett View Post
    I own the recon 105 from 2 yrs ago. I find them very easy to ski and predictable. Mounted -3 from rear line with vipecs. They ski powder pretty well. Sort of dead, dampish feel. I'm not a fan of twitchy, turny skis, so these work ok for me. Not the lightest on the uphill. They handle most conditions in the bc at least better than average. Nothing super inspiring, but they are fun to ski and get the job done.

The construction seems pretty nice and I haven't had any issues over about 40 days so far (mostly bc, but quite a few inbounds laps as well).
    Awesome. Thanks for the info on the recon 105! Easy to ski, predictable, and good in powder sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Finding some good deals on these. Anybody have any time on these skis? Most of the reviews I've found for the 105 Recon are around the carbon version of this ski. There was a thread on the Volkl Blaze, with mostly positive reviews but some online reviewers have indicated they were a little skittish on harder snow. Primary use for these skis would be easy BC tours (still learning) and resort skinning.
    If you're skiing hard snow in the BC I assume you are taking it easy and not trying to dominate it? "Easy BC tours" would suggest that?

If my assumption is correct, then the long running length and rocker profile would be absolutely fine/good for firm BC conditions. But I haven't used mine there so take it with a grain of salt.

I havent tried the helio for comparison.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    If you're skiing hard snow in the BC I assume you are taking it easy and not trying to dominate it? "Easy BC tours" would suggest that?

If my assumption is correct, then the long running length and rocker profile would be absolutely fine/good for firm BC conditions. But I haven't used mine there so take it with a grain of salt.

I havent tried the helio for comparison.

Yep, that's right. Basically "surviving" the hard snow in the BC to get to softer snow. And also staying on low angle, low consequences terrain. I'm just starting out and my risk tolerance is pretty low.

Also do a fair amount of resort skinning for fitness and variety and that's typically where the hard snow skiing would be done.

If you're doing mostly resort skinning and low angle BC you would probably be happier on a lighter ski

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    If you're doing mostly resort skinning and low angle BC you would probably be happier on a lighter ski
    The blaze is quite light but also quite capable in bounds. I've only skied mine inbounds, sometimes too early on a spring day before things softened up, but they've been great. I intend to make them my touring ski next year.

If you are doing resort skinning and you're coming down icy groomers the blaze is more than capable. If you're coming down refrozen moguls then not so much but I can't see that being the choice on fitness inbounds skinning laps.

The blaze is quite light but also quite capable in bounds. I've only skied mine inbounds, sometimes too early on a spring day before things softened up, but they've been great. I intend to make them my touring ski next year.

If you are doing resort skinning and you're coming down icy groomers the blaze is more than capable. If you're coming down refrozen moguls then not so much but I can't see that being the choice on fitness inbounds skinning laps.

Cool! Thanks for info! And yeah, would not be taking the "icy mogul" path down from a resort skin. Usually it's an icy or chalky groomer post resort hike so seems like either one would work. I would just pick "the red one" but neither of them come in red... oh well, ski town problems...

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Cool! Thanks for info! And yeah, would not be taking the "icy mogul" path down from a resort skin. Usually it's an icy or chalky groomer post resort hike so seems like either one would work. I would just pick "the red one" but neither of them come in red... oh well, ski town problems...
    The blaze 94 comes in red.

The blaze 94 comes in red.

I think the new one is Black!

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I think the new one is Black!
    Doh! Why would they purposely slow this ski down? Weird.

Last edited by Shorty_J; 05-21-2021 at 12:57 PM.