Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    You are right, I was mistaken on the deer hunters...that sucks, but hopefully most will be at their jobs during the week...lol At the very least, I hope they leave their bugles at home!

Yes, we saw a good number of spikes. If you want very specific details, PM me and we can exchange numbers and txt some info back and forth. Always great to have more eyes on the hills looking for big bulls!

Specifically, saw a good number of spikes in two areas.
    Sounds like my buddy wants to stick around our area one more weekend. I may be hitting you up early next week if we're not seeing animals.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

48 hours of work then into my Zone, doubt I'll sleep much between now and then. Stoked.

Lots of walking, a few blown stalks, and a miss on a forky by my first year archery hunting buddy. Long weekend, but saw a bunch of big bucks.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    48 hours of work then into my Zone, doubt I'll sleep much between now and then. Stoked.
    Good luck man! Weather looks pretty good for spending time in the hills.

Dialed in with broadheads. Turned the bow up to 70 last week and started broadhead tuning yesterday. First shot tonight at 50 yards with the 125 gr G5 Striker in the black, shots 2 and 3 with field points. Now it's time to find some elk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uiwYbwd.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	384067
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210830_235434534.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	384064  

Mostly Successful trip. Weather and terrain were challenging. Bad year for weather up there. Spent 2 days in the tipi wondering if the stakes and rocks would hold. Passed on several black bears hoping for the color phase one we found the first day. Didn't run into any grizzlies thankfully. Saw one monster caribou but couldn't relocate it once it dropped out of the alpine and into the alders.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
    Just came into possession of my Grandfather’s 60+ year old Remington 760 Gamemaster in .270 and am looking forward to getting it in front of some Blacktail or pig later this year.

Rifle hasn’t been shot in 20 years or so and am thinking of having a gunsmith look it over. What say the Mags with infinitely more experience than me?

Name:	CBB7827C-5DBD-42F7-A49A-D22FD87AFB24.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	384164

And it still shoots straight!

Hell yeah!
    I've got a 740 woodsmaster in .308 (parter's grandfather's rifle) as well as a Winchester 1894 in .32 Win Special (my grandfathers) that both need to put an animal down.

First 5 days of archery elk were good ones. Passed up a fair number of cows and spikes. Herd bull charged in to 10 yards and never winded me, I could smell his breath, he stayed behind the one obstacle preventing a shot, I guess that's why he's a herd bull. Called in a spike and passed on it yesterday, partner did not, and we got caught in the gnarliest electrical storm I've encountered in the mountains while packing it out. Back to it after the holiday hoards go away.

Yeah buddy nice work! Meat in the freezer.

Headed to the spud state Wed night with an A tag and some llamas. Should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Hell yeah!
    I've got a 740 woodsmaster in .308 (parter's grandfather's rifle) as well as a Winchester 1894 in .32 Win Special (my grandfathers) that both need to put an animal down.
    Thanks Phall. My Grandpa died in’63 (I was born in ‘77) and this hunt felt special…there was just a weird connection.

Good luck to all this year.

My CA deer tag is punched for the year but plan to contribute more birds to the second best thread in the PR.

Fall 21/22 Days Afield Thread

Some days you’re the hammer and some days the nail. Spent a lot of time walking around today. Didn’t see much worth a damn so pulled the plug after a bunch of miles and a ~3 hour drive to another location for more miles. Need to reset the batteries. Shout a blue grouse with the bow Friday night, and buddy hammered this bull in CO on the opener.

Name:	IMG_0959.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	928.6 KB 
ID:	384510

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fall 21/22 Days Afield Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    First 5 days of archery elk were good ones. Passed up a fair number of cows and spikes. Herd bull charged in to 10 yards and never winded me, I could smell his breath, he stayed behind the one obstacle preventing a shot, I guess that's why he's a herd bull. Called in a spike and passed on it yesterday, partner did not, and we got caught in the gnarliest electrical storm I've encountered in the mountains while packing it out. Back to it after the holiday hoards go away.

Nice! Hope you find that herd bull again and get into him.

Somos mirando para un oso negro:

Name:	IMG_1275.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	384515

A few camera stills. Tons of cows moving through, I know the bulls will follow! First kitty I've spotted in my ~10 years in Colorado.

Name:	DSCF0165.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	384588

Name:	08280098.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	384587

Name:	Image 9-5-21 at 8.14 PM.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	476.2 KB 
ID:	384589

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 8.42.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	767.3 KB 
ID:	384590
    ^^^Primary objective^^^

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    A few camera stills. Tons of cows moving through, I know the bulls will follow! First kitty I've spotted in my ~10 years in Colorado.

Name:	DSCF0165.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	384588

Name:	08280098.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	384587

Name:	Image 9-5-21 at 8.14 PM.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	476.2 KB 
ID:	384589

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 8.42.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	767.3 KB 
ID:	384590
    ^^^Primary objective^^^
    Is that cat collared?

Yes it is

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Got another bear in the hood. Yesterday my daughter opened the garage door and it was standing in the driveway 10 feet away. Scared the shit out of her lol. Season starts in three days, should I get a license and try to shoot this thing? Never eaten bear, is it any good? Alternative is to call FWP and have it trapped and relocated.

Or you can haze the shit out of it. Blunt arrows, paintballs, .22 ratshot all work.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Got another bear in the hood. Yesterday my daughter opened the garage door and it was standing in the driveway 10 feet away. Scared the shit out of her lol. Season starts in three days, should I get a license and try to shoot this thing? Never eaten bear, is it any good? Alternative is to call FWP and have it trapped and relocated.

Nah, give him a break. He will be sleeping soon. The bears around here are really active right now, but they will hunker down in their den in a week or two. No need to kill the guy for trying to fatten up for the sleep.

I think it's going to be a couple months before they den up around here. However after doing some googling it doesn't really sound like meat I'd be all that interested in eating.

Guess I'll try to find some rubber shotgun slugs and see if I can dissuade him from hanging around the house. I think the neighbor's fruit tree is a powerful attractant though.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I think it's going to be a couple months before they den up around here. However after doing some googling it doesn't really sound like meat I'd be all that interested in eating.

Guess I'll try to find some rubber shotgun slugs and see if I can dissuade him from hanging around the house. I think the neighbor's fruit tree is a powerful attractant though.
    I'm no bear pro and haven't shot one but my wife was highly opposed to me trying for one this year. A friend has one trapped on their property that wasn't suitable for relocation so they gave my info to the warden who gave me a call and asked if I was interested in the bear. I jumped on the chance for "free" meat and have been quite happy with it so far.

Most importantly now my wife wants me to try to get one honestly next year. The meat canned has been delicious and a great topping for nachos and tacos. We haven't done any roasts yet but the ground sausage I made has also been quite nice.

I ended up rendering the fat as well which was a decent amount more work but now's I've got 7 quarts of bear lard I have to figure out what to do with.

Rendering the fat sounds like the best option. I've found from tasting friends bear that breakfast sausage with other fats is my favorite. I've also had bear meat that had a slightly metallic taste to it that I wasn't a fan of. Like any game though it's all about where the animal is taken and what it eats. Also not a hunter, just eat a lot of wild game from friends.

Big sky FWP used to informally recommend frozen paintballs for hazing purposes in regards to problem bears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

only had bear once or twice, but have heard great things about using the lard for baking, hell there's an entire podcast from the meateater crew called beargrease, Clay Newcomb has lots you can do with that.