Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    If anyone in UT has some really easy car access for elk on private, I'm all ears .
    How easy are you talking? Get the bull elk to hop up in the bed of the pickup broad side while you take a shot from the folding chair and table 50 feet away easy?

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    How easy are you talking? Get the bull elk to hop up in the bed of the pickup broad side while you take a shot from the folding chair and table 50 feet away easy?
    I mean that’s the Utah way right? Hiking with little weight won’t be an issue for the mid rifle season but the shoulder won’t be weight bearing by then.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Hunting elk during the rut that are quiet = just go hunt somewhere else?

We know they are around but they do not bugle and the cows don't make a peep. Too many years of asshat hunters making weird clarinet noises at dawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

We know they are around but they do not bugle and the cows don't make a peep. Too many years of asshat hunters making weird clarinet noises at dawn?
    Sounds like Colorado OTC less then 2 miles from a road or TH. Lol

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    The old Primo blue reed eh?

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Good stuff last few pages. Strong work John B, that can be a hard hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by CovertM View Post
    So awesome! But I can see the bittersweet of it ending on day 1.

I know the 42/421 and 444/47/471 Moose tag holders at the moment and have been trying to help out. They are not having as much luck getting it done. There was a good bull a couple weeks ago right up the pass behind Costner's house, but seems to have relocated.
    I saw one in that pond across the highway from the grottos on Sunday I think it was
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

Wolves.

No, I don't buy the "wolves ate all the elk" argument but I've seen elk behavior change on a few occasions when wolves are in the vicinity.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

GGGGGuunk Gulnk Whoosh. Like somebody was stepping off a uncapped oil drain pan? Mostly, instead of bugles last week,save for round up going away bugles. In the urban interface of Western, New Assholeistan. Pulled in bugling, hooche mama tooting hunters, when I cow called. 3x. I got close enough to get barked at if I kept the douche flute in the pack. Sad times at MTFWP. Please take time to comment on proposed regulation changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I mean that’s the Utah way right? Hiking with little weight won’t be an issue for the mid rifle season but the shoulder won’t be weight bearing by then.

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/...t-bulls-part-1

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/...t-bulls-part-2

Fall 21/22 Days Afield Thread

Buddies killed this Ol Boy yesterday, Frying Pan side after covering a ton of ground.

Now to help my buddy with the 42/421 tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did he shoot it at 1000 yards?

Chasing elk with the camera until whitetail opens.

those Viking Armaments' are sick.

Great shots Snapt.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Did he shoot it at 1000 yards?

Chasing elk with the camera until whitetail opens.

Lol, You're the second person to make that comment.

They own Viking Armament and build a lot of cool custom shit on XLR chassis. So they kind of have to use the product...

I had a perfect let down tonight. Really Good. Strong and smooth. Later I hyperventilated, with a cow calf pair feeding frontal inside 3 yards to me.

I realized I dropped this in last years thread.

I just listed this like new medium Orvis upland vest on FB for $75 picked up. Mag discount will apply. Send a PM if interested.

Attachment 389017

Attachment 389018

Everyone must be busy out chasing game! Pretty quiet in here.
    Not the most exciting, but I punched my cow elk tag last weekend. 125 yards double lung. She walked about 15 yards, laid down and that was it! The interesting part was chasing this herd for two days. I had them at 220 yards the morning before, but they ducked over a ridge before I could shoot. Decided to wait till the next day instead of chasing into the heavy timber. Showed up the next day to silence and no sign of the herd. They were still bugling at 10:00 AM the day before, so I thought I had blew it when it was silent when I got back to the zone. I figured I might as well follow them in where I saw them disappear the day before. Heavy timber, slippery slow, mud, but I'll be damned if after 45 minutes of hiking I got a bugle (Guessing he thought I was the satellite bull). I quickly took off the pack, set up and 3 minutes later the cow walked into a perfect little hole in the timber, the bull cleared out of view and down she went. Like I said, not much of a story, but so happy to have the hunt done early with a big fat cow! Best part was the wife and 12 year old kid came out to help me pack her out. Stoked that they love to see where and how dinner was put on the table.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Wolves.

No, I don't buy the "wolves ate all the elk" argument but I've seen elk behavior change on a few occasions when wolves are in the vicinity.
    This is the case where I typically bow hunt. I've had visuals on wolves less than half mile from bulls. Used to have big herds, now little pockets of 10 here, 15 there. Quiet bugles if any and soft cow chirps here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    Not the most exciting, but I punched my cow elk tag last weekend. 125 yards double lung. She walked about 15 yards, laid down and that was it! The interesting part was chasing this herd for two days. I had them at 220 yards the morning before, but they ducked over a ridge before I could shoot. Decided to wait till the next day instead of chasing into the heavy timber. Showed up the next day to silence and no sign of the herd. They were still bugling at 10:00 AM the day before, so I thought I had blew it when it was silent when I got back to the zone. I figured I might as well follow them in where I saw them disappear the day before. Heavy timber, slippery slow, mud, but I'll be damned if after 45 minutes of hiking I got a bugle (Guessing he thought I was the satellite bull). I quickly took off the pack, set up and 3 minutes later the cow walked into a perfect little hole in the timber, the bull cleared out of view and down she went. Like I said, not much of a story, but so happy to have the hunt done early with a big fat cow! Best part was the wife and 12 year old kid came out to help me pack her out. Stoked that they love to see where and how dinner was put on the table.
    Dude-great to get the family there! Congrats

Crashed the MTB end of september, so that put a damper on a lot of things, finally able to do some jump shooting for ducks and back after deer and elk with the rifle, been really slow, but with all the weather we got, and the deer season running till 10/31, hoping to find a decent buck next week,

Strong work!

I struck out on the any bull tag here in Utah, unless I can motivate to go out again after work one day this week. Buck deer starts Saturday for me, and I have a cow tag that runs from 12/1-1/31, so hopefully I can make something happen there.

I helped a buddy on his muley hunt last week. He shot a small 4 point right at last light. He laid down to die but a few minutes later a group of does came sprinting over the hill like the devil was chasing them and he stood up and ran. We tracked him for three hours, the opposite direction of the truck of course, in a snow storm. Finally found him and packed him out in some of the worst deadfall I've been in lately. Got home a little after 3am.

^ lol, you sound tormented by analysis paralysis. If there is one thing I have learned about hunting public ground, it is that you have to plan your plan then make it ridiculously more absurd. For example, I'm going to get to my spot at 1 am on the river for the duck opener. That sounds to simple. To get your spot you must get to the spot 1am the day before the opener and spend the next 30 hours in your boat in your spot. True Story. Bummer on the sheep. Sucks. I was entertained though. A dall sheep is on my list. Someday.

Filled my idaho mule deer tag on a 2yr old 3 x 2, probably going to hell. Oh well. Too easy to pass up. On to feathered pursuits.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Got a random text from lemon boy after years with a bunch of pics.

He popped his big game cherry on a goat. I have no idea how he got that tag, but very happy for him and hearing from him.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I think I'd quit hunting before I spent 30 hours waiting in a duck boat.