Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Got it done on the late cow hunt this evening. Packing an elk out when 5 buddies come to answer the call really makes things easier.

Attachment 396181

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Ha, perfect song.

^meat in the freezer, nice work

Greenheads and a snowgoose that I golden bb'ed. They usually fly too high but the wind yesterday pushed a few flocks lower.

No love on the Idaho nonres tags for the elk units we wanted. I was literally at the end of the random line. Guess we'll try for Wyoming general tags or try to burn my 13 WA pts in 22.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Nice! I’m itching to finally have a good duck shoot this year but have the major first world problem of running out of freezer space even for a few limits of ducks

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Before.
    Name:  image1 - Copy.jpeg
Views: 383
Size:  71.9 KB

After.
    Name:  image2 - Copy.jpeg
Views: 373
Size:  176.6 KB

The duck hunting has been lights out the last few weeks. Last week right before this storm cycle was just incredible.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Name:  image3 - Copy.jpeg
Views: 420
Size:  166.7 KB

Name:  image4 - Copy.jpeg
Views: 428
Size:  145.6 KB

Was able to take the 15 year old out for a quick hunt where he didn't have to walk very far. His retrieving days are long over but he was so stoked to be out there. Sucks when dogs get old.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    From my cold dead hands.

Damn, nice hunt. I need more green in my life. Old men miss many dogs. Sad part of the game.

Texas doe. Had 30 turkeys under me at one point. 475gr arrow with magnus stinger went to another dimension after pass through never to be found again. Quartering away at 25yrds. She went 50 and fell over. Exit side in pic.

Nice work all. I’m hoping to sneak one or two more jump shoots in before the season ends. I blew a stalk on 10 honkers that landed on the river 75 yards from the truck the other day. And to top it off, I had a beautiful drake mallard I full plucked easier than I ever have, did a boned out spatchcock only to find rice breast 🤦🏼

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Damn, nice hunt. I need more green in my life. Old men miss many dogs. Sad part of the game.

Texas doe. Had 30 turkeys under me at one point. 475gr arrow with magnus stinger went to another dimension after pass through never to be found again. Quartering away at 25yrds. She went 50 and fell over. Exit side in pic
    Yeah man!

#gotbacon? Took a boar out. He was the only piggy I saw in 4 days. Last time I hunted here we left with three pigs. Small buck walked by after I arrowed the pig. Buck actually blew at the dead hog. Doe that was with him did not give me a shot. Back to birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Nice work all. I’m hoping to sneak one or two more jump shoots in before the season ends. I blew a stalk on 10 honkers that landed on the river 75 yards from the truck the other day. And to top it off, I had a beautiful drake mallard I full plucked easier than I ever have, did a boned out spatchcock only to find rice breast

Rice breast is actually fine. Unappealing, for sure. But not harmful.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    Name:  image3 - Copy.jpeg
Views: 420
Size:  166.7 KB

Name:  image4 - Copy.jpeg
Views: 428
Size:  145.6 KB

Was able to take the 15 year old out for a quick hunt where he didn't have to walk very far. His retrieving days are long over but he was so stoked to be out there. Sucks when dogs get old.
    Good for you, man. Joyous and heartbreaking, I'm sure.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Fall 21/22 Days Afield Thread

Nice work going on in here.
    TBH, good job getting the old timer out there. My 11yo is on her last season, she still thinks she’s 5. This super cold weather has me leaving her home the last couple hunts.
    Nice bacon patarero!

A few pics from the holiday week. It's fun to have two dogs in their prime.

The fraggle sisters pointing some quail. I watched this occur 150 yards away on my GPS...

Sam (red vest) naturally ranges farther and pointed the covey first, then Judy (green) came on to the scene about 10 seconds later. They both slowly crept about 10 yards by the time I got there, as the birds were running. Once I walked up, it was Judy ultimately directly pointing the covey and Sam backing her in the pic. You can tell from Sam's body language that she's respecting Judy's point (backing for the uninitiated) but that Judy is actually on the birds. Two ludes lost their lives in the flush with each dog happily bringing one back.

A few days later, I took Judy out duckin' as I've been hunting Sam on the the water quite a bit this year. Judy is older than Sam and Sam needs the refinement. Anyhow, you can tell from her expression that seven years old Judy hardly finds 7 green domes in 15 minutes all that exciting.

Fun couple of days.

I find true working dogs of all types absolutely mesmerizing.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    A few pics from the holiday week. It's fun to have two dogs in their prime.

The fraggle sisters pointing some quail. I watched this occur 150 yards away on my GPS...

Sam (red vest) naturally ranges farther and pointed the covey first, then Judy (green) came on to the scene about 10 seconds later. They both slowly crept about 10 yards by the time I got there, as the birds were running. Once I walked up, it was Judy ultimately directly pointing the covey and Sam backing her in the pic. You can tell from Sam's body language that she's respecting Judy's point (backing for the uninitiated) but that Judy is actually on the birds. Two ludes lost their lives in the flush with each dog happily bringing one back.

A few days later, I took Judy out duckin' as I've been hunting Sam on the the water quite a bit this year. Judy is older than Sam and Sam needs the refinement. Anyhow, you can tell from her expression that seven years old Judy hardly finds 7 green domes in 15 minutes all that exciting.

Fun couple of days.
    Nice! I was just driving through your neck of the woods and was thinking of when we went out with you and Judy.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Keeping this thread alive.
    Here's a hunt from a couple days before X-mas.
    Been skiing the last week and a half or so, so I haven't been out to see what's still around after these storms. Getting soft in my old age not really motivated to duck hunt in frigid temperatures. It's supposed to warm up some this week probably take a drive and look around at some point.

Name:  image0 - Copy.jpeg
Views: 251
Size:  208.4 KB

thanks all for the kind words about the old timer. I really want to get him out again before the season ends.

nice pics Rev.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    From my cold dead hands.

Skipped skiing in the below zero temps this last weekend to put the smack down on some fowl.
    Friday was such an amazing day with blue skies, thousands of mallards and hundreds of honkers in our spot. Didn’t use a blind as we hunted a flooded up island in the river and just plopped down chairs next to a stump and pillow cased fowl all morning.
    Sunday we kicked another 1k ducks out of another spot just up river and a few hundred honks. Well the ducks never came back which was weird but the geese did it dirty. Used the panel blind that day as it was super cold and high humidity. Ran the buddy heaters for comfort.
    Looking out:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66283209813__BC6D851E-3BBC-46A7-A325-819B44904A79.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	399584
    Cold boat ride attire:

Name:	IMG_4093.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	419.3 KB 
ID:	399585

Beginnings of the grinding/sausage making:
    60lbs deer and elk
    15 lbs pork fat
    Planning 35lbs ground
    15 lbs jalapeno cheddar bratwurst
    7Lbs breakfast
    6 lbs merguez
    5 lbs Italian
    4 lbs smoked cured summer
    3lbs smoked cured snack sticks

Name:	Image1641432593.133001.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	399866

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Skipped skiing in the below zero temps this last weekend to put the smack down on some fowl.
    Friday was such an amazing day with blue skies, thousands of mallards and hundreds of honkers in our spot. Didn’t use a blind as we hunted a flooded up island in the river and just plopped down chairs next to a stump and pillow cased fowl all morning.
    Sunday we kicked another 1k ducks out of another spot just up river and a few hundred honks. Well the ducks never came back which was weird but the geese did it dirty. Used the panel blind that day as it was super cold and high humidity. Ran the buddy heaters for comfort.
    Looking out:

Name:	66283209813__BC6D851E-3BBC-46A7-A325-819B44904A79.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	399584
    Cold boat ride attire:

Name:	IMG_4093.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	419.3 KB 
ID:	399585
    Awesome, Columbia from Snake confluence down to McNary is loaded with ducks right now. Long haul for me though. Thought the snow this afternoon would produce locally, nada. Black dog disapproves.

Found this guy today while out chasing cows.

Name:	IMG_1850.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	400390

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Found this guy today while out chasing cows.

Name:	IMG_1850.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	400390
    Tell me more

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Tell me more

I was hunting a late season cow tag on Saturday when I spotted a dead bull in the bottom of a drainage. There were some cows the other direction so I didn't take the time to hike down to him. I had heard a shot from somewhere in the area earlier that day, the bull had no snow on him and hadn't been chewed on by anything yet so I marked the location and called the DWR poaching line. The officer said he would be interested in investigating and would hike in the next day and let me know what he found.

He called me back Sunday afternoon and told me that he believed he had died of old age. Teeth were ground down and missing, very skinny and no wounds. He asked if I would like a permit to take the head and antlers, I said yes and I would hike in as soon as I could to retrieve him. He said no need, I have it in my truck, tell me where you live and I'll bring him over. So there he is. The dog is very proud.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I was hunting a late season cow tag on Saturday when I spotted a dead bull in the bottom of a drainage. There were some cows the other direction so I didn't take the time to hike down to him. I had heard a shot from somewhere in the area earlier that day, the bull had no snow on him and hadn't been chewed on by anything yet so I marked the location and called the DWR poaching line. The officer said he would be interested in investigating and would hike in the next day and let me know what he found.

He called me back Sunday afternoon and told me that he believed he had died of old age. Teeth were ground down and missing, very skinny and no wounds. He asked if I would like a permit to take the head and antlers, I said yes and I would hike in as soon as I could to retrieve him. He said no need, I have it in my truck, tell me where you live and I'll bring him over. So there he is. The dog is very proud.
    How cool is that? The fish cops get a bad rap in my opinion, they have a thankless job and are some of the coolest people I have met out and about. That is a super cool head (and story).

Edited to add cool one more time since apparently it is one of the few words I know.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    How cool is that? The fish cops get a bad rap in my opinion, they have a thankless job and are some of the coolest people I have met out and about. That is a super cool head (and story).

Edited to add cool one more time since apparently it is one of the few words I know.
    The fish cop was super cool. I shot the shit with him in my driveway for about 20 minutes and he was genuinely enthusiastic about it. He said he needed that hike that day.

I sent an email of appreciation to the director of the DWR yesterday morning. I heard from a friend today that works for Utah DWR that the email had already circulated and guy was pretty stoked on it.

I know one UTDWR officer personally and have another in my phone. Both are stand up guys and one took general concern when I reported a dead swan on the highway and he told me a story of a goose that got so lost in the wind storm in SLC last year it ended up on Dry Creek above the U of U. Good work on doing it right ZZZ and hope you kept his number, they are invaluable and VERY hard to get a hold of here in UT.