Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Found the grazing permit/map for this outfit, not sticking to schedule and salting next to water when clearly outlined not to. I've emailed the range manager.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65084137941__8723179F-D01D-492A-A4B1-0067A20C91BE.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	382536

Broadhead tuning coming along. Feeling pretty ready for opening day next Saturday. Got some storms coming and cool weather for the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

Name:	65084137941__8723179F-D01D-492A-A4B1-0067A20C91BE.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	382536

Broadhead tuning coming along. Feeling pretty ready for opening day next Saturday. Got some storms coming and cool weather for the weekend.

Tight, looks like it's time to put 1 arrow in 1 box, gonna wreck some arrows with that precision. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Tight, looks like it's time to put 1 arrow in 1 box, gonna wreck some arrows with that precision. Good luck!

Thanks! Should be a great hunt. Local contact I made has heard rumblings and seen pics of at least one 400" bull and a could 380+. Talked to the biologist today and he said he wouldn't bet on another year like last year when they pulled two over 400" and a two over 390" out of the unit, but its been a really good year for the herd and antler growth and he would be surprised by it. Down to 4 more sleeps till opening day!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Oh yeah! Interesting they said good things about antler growth with this drought. This cold front should get some animals moving around, especially if Saturday gets sunny after 3 days of rain

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Oh yeah! Interesting they said good things about antler growth with this drought. This cold front should get some animals moving around, especially if Saturday gets sunny after 3 days of rain

I think this unit got really lucky with monsoon season. When I was scouting there was TONS of water and food and then it stormed a ton for a month. Lots of springs in the unit as well. We shall see. Current forecast is 1.5” of rain over the next three days with flash flood warnings, then sunny but still cool for the weekend. Can’t ask for more then that for opening weekend in August!

Name:	Image1629344644.485315.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	382813

Building up some freshies for the hunt. Tuned broadheads out to 70 today…tomorrow the hunting arrows get shot and numbered.

Only three me sleeps till opening day!

Fall 21/22 Days Afield Thread

I don’t know if any mags are into this kind of stuff but I am running BE Rampage 300 spine .001 arrows with a wrap from one-stringer, x-nocks and 4 AAE Hybrid vanes. Up front is Iron Will 100gr SS hit insert, with a 26ge Iron Will SS collar and 100gr Iron Will Solid Broadhead.

Total weight is 528g and I believe 18.5% FOC.

I have really enjoyed shooting this setup the last two seasons and they hit freaking hard. Super durable too. Build price with the broadhead is about $55 an arrow, so don’t miss often! I have cracked some arrows (always rear from hitting nock) and you can almost always salvage the hit insert and collar and build another arrow with it. I have yet to crack the front of an arrow…even after hitting plywood, steel post and rocks.

Name:	Image1629345662.250932.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	382814

That’s a solid setup. I run gold tip pierce platinums, sevr 125, 3 fletch aae max hunter with a wrap and nokturnal. ~475gr moving ~275fps, ~13% foc. Put this through two cow elk and a doe and have been happy, if I draw a big bull tag I may build something a bit heavier with a fixed head. What’s nice about my setup is I can buy the .003 pierce arrows and build them up to the same weight, saves a little coin on practice arrows.

That’s a solid setup. I run gold tip pierce platinums, sevr 125, 3 fletch aae max hunter with a wrap and nokturnal. ~475gr moving ~275fps, ~13% foc. Put this through two cow elk and a doe and have been happy, if I draw a big bull tag I may build something a bit heavier with a fixed head. What’s nice about my setup is I can buy the .003 pierce arrows and build them up to the same weight, saves a little coin on practice arrows.

That is a nice option. I tend to just build one to two dozen a year…the price difference on my is only $15 per dozen. Have you a hot anything yet with the sevr heads?

I've seen incredible antler growth here in CO (RFV). Bulls with 6th split off in mid may! We got lucky with some rain as well this spring/summer.

That is a nice option. I tend to just build one to two dozen a year…the price difference on my is only $15 per dozen. Have you a hot anything yet with the sevr heads?

Yeah, I'm running the 125gr 1.5's, and I have a friend with the 100 2.1s. I shot a cow in 2019, doe in 2019, calf in 2020. All performed flawlessly, but hard to mess up a doe and a calf. The cow was at ~51-52 yards, arrow was nearly a complete passthrough, came out opposite side within 5-10 feet of where she was, nicked the heart/lungs, kind of right where you'd want to hit, she went about 70 yards. Friend has shot a cow and a spike with the 100's, cow was at 70 yards quartering hard to, didn't get great penetration, but she died quick as the arrow went straight into the lungs. Spike was ~70 yards as well, he only got one lung on that animal, we came in above it bedded and he ended it at ~10 yards, He's nailed a buck at 82 with them as well. He's a great shot, and the broadheads have been impressive. We both agree we may switch to a fixed for a big bull hunt, but so far I don't think I'd have an issue with a well placed shot with the Sevr's doing work on a bull.

*he's shooting 30" draw, 80lb Hoyt RX1, with airstrike arrows built out to ~500gr, but moving FAST. Mechanicals work well for him, on a bigger animal, I'd be concerned about them on my setup.

I love heavy arras.

Phall…yeah, I am a proponent of fixed heads for elk, but mechanicals really seem to do a number on deer. If I was more of a deer hunter, I would probably shoot a lighter arrow. However, come September…the only thing I want in my life is wapiti.

I do get a deer tag or two for the rifle seasons usually.

I am running an Elite Kure and I think my draw length is only 28.5”. I have not measured it exactly on that bow. With the 1/4” draw adjustments…I just set it to where it is shooting perfect for me.

Last I chrono’d my 528gr arrow was at like 258 fps. I went down to 65 lbs limbs on this bow for the first time. 5lbs really doesn’t seem to effect arrow speed as much as other things in the equation and it is so easy to draw, it literally feels like a toy/kids bow.

My ideal speed is 265…so I am a bit less then that, but I wanted to be over 500gr. When I buy a new bow, I may switch to a 75gr hit insert and drop a fletch. We will see

Good luck this weekend, looking forward to hearing about it. We're getting up high tomorrow evening and hoping to find one of those two big deer I posted, or hoping the sheep got pushed down due to this weather, and the elk are back in there.

Phall…yeah, I am a proponent of fixed heads for elk, but mechanicals really seem to do a number on deer. If I was more of a deer hunter, I would probably shoot a lighter arrow. However, come September…the only thing I want in my life is wapiti.

I do get a deer tag or two for the rifle seasons usually.

I am running an Elite Kure and I think my draw length is only 28.5”. I have not measured it exactly on that bow. With the 1/4” draw adjustments…I just set it to where it is shooting perfect for me.

Last I chrono’d my 528gr arrow was at like 258 fps. I went down to 65 lbs limbs on this bow for the first time. 5lbs really doesn’t seem to effect arrow speed as much as other things in the equation and it is so easy to draw, it literally feels like a toy/kids bow.

My ideal speed is 265…so I am a bit less then that, but I wanted to be over 500gr. When I buy a new bow, I may switch to a 75gr hit insert and drop a fletch. We will see

Picked up an Elite enkore this spring, dig it.

Good luck this weekend, looking forward to hearing about it. We're getting up high tomorrow evening and hoping to find one of those two big deer I posted, or hoping the sheep got pushed down due to this weather, and the elk are back in there.

Enjoyed the shit out of sum Type 2+ solo sheep fun earlier this week. Got pinned by weather and sheep for half of Tuesday, got back to the tent at midnight. Ran out of water midday Wednesday, but stayed up because there were gobs of blueberries and if I got a shot, there was a glacier in the bottom of the bowl.
    Bad move. It turned into an adventure getting down 2500' to water racing nightfall. Then it was an hour or so of shivering & puking until I could hold any fluids down.
    Made it back to the truck around sunrise in shit state.

Fucked'em out of that one! haha

Nada. Saw some cows in a “hell no” location, and some bucks that wanted to play nice today until the sheep herder blew my buddies stalk when he was within 100. Camped up high, got wet, found some mushrooms.

Name:	IMG_0933.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	383228

Name:	IMG_0937.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	383229
    And picked up 5 fucking Mylar balloons Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0939.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	383230

I have nothing to add except that's the best back country tent ever created.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Archery Pronghorn Update: It's fucking hard and cows everywhere destroying the riparian areas sure doesn't help.

Day one: I did have one bedded down at 30 yards, but blew it by not glassing/looking close in first. Saw him over a mile out head through a rock outcropping. Put the stalk on, and sure enough he bedded down just past where I last saw him. My mistake came down to not checking directly below me before moving out to get a better look down the ravine. Knocked an arrow two other times, but couldn't get close enough on a younger buck. Should have had it done day one..... Day 2: Not a single animal spotted.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

OK you fucks. Whose dog is this?

Name:  Screenshot 2021-08-23 161023.png
Views: 355
Size:  479.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Good to hear mags are getting some action…and making it back safe. Saw hundreds of elk…stalked in on one because he looked cool as hell with a double beam and probably 30” brow tine. Spike hunters blew their bugle from upwind when I was at 80 yards and he got out of his bed and bolted.

Next weekend is gonna be hot…there were tons of people there keeping the big bulls hidden, so I think I am just gonna take the next two weekends off and hunt the last 8 days of the season. Will be only me and 11 other archery bull hunters the last 7 days of the season in the entire unit. Time to blow through some work and keep shooting and working the legs.

Hard to see the long squiggly brow tine on his right with his double beam…but it is there. No bulls over 330” spotted…yet.

Name:	Image1629763319.766181.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	383320

Great shot Gretch - that’s a sweet bull

Hell yeah. There will be deer hunters in there that last week but probably hunting different terrain. Did you see many spikes? If so sent me coordinates and I’ll keep an eye on the big bulls for you

Hell yeah. There will be deer hunters in there that last week but probably hunting different terrain. Did you see many spikes? If so sent me coordinates and I’ll keep an eye on the big bulls for you
    You are right, I was mistaken on the deer hunters...that sucks, but hopefully most will be at their jobs during the week...lol At the very least, I hope they leave their bugles at home!

Yes, we saw a good number of spikes. If you want very specific details, PM me and we can exchange numbers and txt some info back and forth. Always great to have more eyes on the hills looking for big bulls!

Specifically, saw a good number of spikes in two areas.