Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    ^ lol, you sound tormented by analysis paralysis. If there is one thing I have learned about hunting public ground, it is that you have to plan your plan then make it ridiculously more absurd. For example, I'm going to get to my spot at 1 am on the river for the duck opener. That sounds to simple. To get your spot you must get to the spot 1am the day before the opener and spend the next 30 hours in your boat in your spot. True Story. Bummer on the sheep. Sucks. I was entertained though. A dall sheep is on my list. Someday.

Filled my idaho mule deer tag on a 2yr old 3 x 2, probably going to hell. Oh well. Too easy to pass up. On to feathered pursuits.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Congrats on your brush buck! They eat good.

Sorry man, I got 504'd and then decided to delete that post full of 1st world sheep shit. I refreshed the page before I deleted it, then a half hour later you replied...wcis?
    But you're right: can't change what already happened in the huntin' woods, just learn from it.

Meanwhile, fat blackie and otc brown bear is still on here and I've found some brownies....but I have to carry an African double rifle to hunt them in that thick creek bottom that's still got salmon in it.
    That, or an autoloader 12ga slug barrel with iron sights. It will still be tough to get more than a single round in a bear before he shags ass and disappears in the wooleys and becomes a tense tracking job. Or maybe circles downwind and comes straight back at me up my scent trail if he's hit in the foot. Or lays up all day at the end of his blood trail to revenge-kill whoever shot him in the liver. etc etc
    Hemingway shit.

I'm not always down for an IV rush of ptsd tracking wounded Alaskan brown bears in thick cover, and my life insurance company would take a dim view of me getting my jollies that way, but I have scouted in there looking for legit spots to hang a tree stand. Saw and heard a sow brownie roar like a fucking lion at a tree where a big blackie had a smaller blackie treed 10 minutes earlier [I would have shot the big blackie, but didn't come to a salmon stream to shoot a fish-eating black bear, and boy-howdy am I glad of that...]. The sow and her 2x200lb cubs took off after the blackies, which amounts to the brown bears using the salmon for bear bait as much as me...But anyway, those brown bears would have rocked up 10 minutes after I shot and took my lunch money had I pulled the trigger on that 400lb blackie. I'd have prob been taking pics or pulling the hair off him, and not paying attention...You can't hear bears coming...

Anyway, the clock's ticking. I might jus get myself far enough off the road, find a place where I can see as far as I can shoot, pull out a cast iron skillet and start frying up a bunch of bacon.

"Vintage bear hunt"

Last edited by highangle; 10-20-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23AF9D8F-AC9D-4613-9B7D-D2FF3F369D7A.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	279.7 KB 
ID:	389733

Pretty much no waterfowl training, and she had her first retrieve tonight. It was ugly, but she enjoys going for walks on the river.

Also, antelope shank ramen.

Name:	IMG_1131.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	389735

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Also, there’s an ongoing debate on the Utah waterfowl FB page that there are no blue wings in Utah. Shot these tonight, I’m leaning blue wing but everyone is saying eclipse cinny. Any thoughts? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1129.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	389744

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Cinnamon, definitely. Delicious little guys.

I was really thinking blue wings due to the yellowish legs and the lack of red eye on the eclipse drake. Probably two of the hardest eclipse species to tell apart. And yes, all teal are tasty

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Cinnamon, definitely. Delicious little guys.
    So what makes you say cinammon? The white patch at the bill on the bottom one says blue wing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    Everyone must be busy out chasing game! Pretty quiet in here.
    Not the most exciting, but I punched my cow elk tag last weekend. 125 yards double lung. She walked about 15 yards, laid down and that was it! The interesting part was chasing this herd for two days. I had them at 220 yards the morning before, but they ducked over a ridge before I could shoot. Decided to wait till the next day instead of chasing into the heavy timber. Showed up the next day to silence and no sign of the herd. They were still bugling at 10:00 AM the day before, so I thought I had blew it when it was silent when I got back to the zone. I figured I might as well follow them in where I saw them disappear the day before. Heavy timber, slippery slow, mud, but I'll be damned if after 45 minutes of hiking I got a bugle (Guessing he thought I was the satellite bull). I quickly took off the pack, set up and 3 minutes later the cow walked into a perfect little hole in the timber, the bull cleared out of view and down she went. Like I said, not much of a story, but so happy to have the hunt done early with a big fat cow! Best part was the wife and 12 year old kid came out to help me pack her out. Stoked that they love to see where and how dinner was put on the table.
    Congrats on your cow!
    I hunted every day of 1st rifle, no elk. Nada. But lotsa nice country, long miles and lotsa other critters, and ... no work!
    Try again for a bull in a couple weeks.
    north bound horse.

Got it done with the rifle this morning. Little 4x4, super close to slc(few miles to downtown as the crow flies) which made it great. Nice to put some meat in the freezer after a tough go of it so far this season. Takes a bit of the pressure off of the late cow tag now.

Name:	7F60C91B-BD1E-4E49-BB36-7485A7B9EEA5.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	390162

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Got it done with the rifle this morning. Little 4x4, super close to slc(few miles to downtown as the crow flies) which made it great. Nice to put some meat in the freezer after a tough go of it so far this season. Takes a bit of the pressure off of the late cow tag now.

Perfect, prob will eat pretty well. Congrats!

Nice job Phall and others. Good to see freezers getting filled.

Went out for opener with the wife yesterday. Saw some cows but no bulls.

Nice work Phall! Great looking buck!

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    So what makes you say cinammon? The white patch at the bill on the bottom one says blue wing to me.

Basing it on head shape and color tones. That slight white’ish patch could say Blue but other features say Cinny. Those two in the pic are probably some of the toughest I’ve seen to identify but I showed a buddy the pics, long time hunter/biologist and he thought Cinny as well. Also said those two are tough but Cinny. Maybe we’re all correct. 🤷🏻♂️

Hunting has been good in the panhandle of Idaho if a guy puts in the scouting. Just my strap, buddy whacked some green as well. Set up for Honks and ended up having a duck shoot instead. I’ll take it! Probably my old girl Lacy’s last season and probably won’t hunt her as much this year. She still has the drive of a dog half her age and is all business in the field, her body just can’t hang with her drive, . Killed two ducks due to her alerting me before I saw them. Good girl!

Name:	IMG_3783.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	444.2 KB 
ID:	390245

Name:	IMG_3784.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	390246

Name:	7F60C91B-BD1E-4E49-BB36-7485A7B9EEA5.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	390162

Nice work Phall! Closest I could get to a buck this weekend was 600 yards.

I took a small forky mule deer yesterday to close that tag. Shot across a scrub oak canyon at last light so by the time I crossed it was dark and snowing and photos were tough.

I have a question for you guys that I feel like we've discussed but I cant remember. Do most of you throw in ear pro before the shot? I had every intention to this year.....but forgot. Now my ears are ringing and I have that anxiety about hearing loss again. I seriously think I should get a suppressor if I'm going to continue to hunt and be irresponsible. Expensive but cheaper than hearing aids.

Nice work. I forgot my ear pro at the truck the other day. Also have all intention of wearing it. Suppressor is definitely on the list

Good question ZZZ. I bumped a buck at 50 yards yesterday and didn't get my plugs in. I've got a tad bit of ringing and am cursing myself again. I've worn banded ear protection but this year I'm 1/3 on getting them in prior to shooting. Both critters I've shot at this year have surprised me in close rather than giving me a bit of time. Also to make matters on yesterday's buck worse after hours of searching I could barely find blood and lost the tracks after 300 yards.

These are what I've had and they've held up to 2 years of crawling through brush and general rough treatment.
    3M 28 dB PVC Hearing Protector Banded Ear Plugs
    shorturl.at/iFJ57

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Good question ZZZ. I bumped a buck at 50 yards yesterday and didn't get my plugs in. I've got a tad bit of ringing and am cursing myself again. I've worn banded ear protection but this year I'm 1/3 on getting them in prior to shooting. Both critters I've shot at this year have surprised me in close rather than giving me a bit of time. Also to make matters on yesterday's buck worse after hours of searching I could barely find blood and lost the tracks after 300 yards.

These are what I've had and they've held up to 2 years of crawling through brush and general rough treatment.
    3M 28 dB PVC Hearing Protector Banded Ear Plugs
    shorturl.at/iFJ57

Get a dog on that blood trail as fast as you can J_B. That meat's still good, and almost any dog that can withstand the conditions will instinctively trail blood 100x better than you or me.

Season 3 for the setter, I've got a pretty nice dog, for whatever reason his manners are especially nice around Huns. I don't hate it!

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Get a dog on that blood trail as fast as you can J_B. That meat's still good, and almost any dog that can withstand the conditions will instinctively trail blood 100x better than you or me.
    That's true, I have a friend who usually arrows his elk after work, right at dark, and his lab has saved his ass more than once the next day when he couldn't find the elk.

Ear protection.... I've got a pair of small, folding earmuffs that I wear above my ears when deer hunting because I think there's a relatively good chance I'm going to be shooting. I just slip them down over my ears and good to go. I think my last half-dozen deer have all been shot with ear protection. Kind of a pain to wear them that way but they are quick to deploy, which is crucial.

Elk hunting, OTOH, I don't wear them anymore because I've only shot four elk in the past ten years and I feel my odds of actually firing a shot on any given hunt are pretty slim. Yeah I know I should be more confident. Although a couple years ago I had them on when my wife and I were sneaking on some elk. She was about 20 feet behind me and saw an elk off to the side, tried to whisper to me but I couldn't hear her and I blew it. She's been giving me shit about it ever since.

Got it done with the rifle this morning. Little 4x4, super close to slc(few miles to downtown as the crow flies) which made it great.
    nice! he looks delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

I have a question for you guys that I feel like we've discussed but I cant remember. Do most of you throw in ear pro before the shot? I had every intention to this year.....but forgot. Now my ears are ringing and I have that anxiety about hearing loss again. I seriously think I should get a suppressor if I'm going to continue to hunt and be irresponsible. Expensive but cheaper than hearing aids.
    Ear pro every single time. Hearing loss runs in the family and I shoot a lot. I'm a little intimidated at all the hoops to jump through for (and cost of) a suppressor, so I just ear pro every time before the shot.

On another note, my either sex deer tag opens saturday! Seen lots of girls and one nice buck lurking ..
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Basing it on head shape and color tones. That slight white’ish patch could say Blue but other features say Cinny. Those two in the pic are probably some of the toughest I’ve seen to identify but I showed a buddy the pics, long time hunter/biologist and he thought Cinny as well. Also said those two are tough but Cinny. Maybe we’re all correct.
    Copy that, I only run into cinnys in the spring. Thanks. I'll look more closely at my teals.

No wild story. I flanked him as he worked up the hill and got a shot through an opening in a couple pinions. He never saw me. 25yd shot. He trotted about 25 yd after the shot. He died well. Finished processing last nite, happy to have it done.

Name:	2021.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	391135

Sorry ol boy.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by MiddleOfNight; 11-01-2021 at 10:40 AM. Reason: a few details.
    north bound horse.

Hell yeah! ^^^

Anyone else angry about the ammo shortage, no 06 or 270 ammo. You know, for hunting. NATO rounds ,only. I was told to buy a 308. by a salesman. The NRA, & stupid tactical shit-stain ilk got us here. Fucking camo lifestyle Don Jr. wannabes. Herd bull let out a hooooutotooooot as I put my gun on my pack, two nights ago. I had dialed down to 4x and still could only see brown as cows fed passed me. Last night I could see the head lamp of the guy with a list of #s on his stock, hunting the ridge I was on from across he drainage. He is a loud talker. Nice Middle!