Question: Changing brake pads on SLX

There's probably something in here under search function but I can't seem to locate it.

Anyway, my rear brake pads on my SLX are done. Like metal on metal done. Fortunately, the rotor isn't scored and is still within tolerance so doesn't need to be replaced. Here's my dilemma.

I pulled the old pads, cleaned up the caliper with rubbing alcohol, and depressed the pistons into the body as far as they would go. I put the new pads/spring in and there's not enough clearance to get the rotor in when I try to put the wheel back on. I pulled the pads, mounted the wheel and tried to get the pads in. No go. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    There's probably something in here under search function but I can't seem to locate it.

Anyway, my rear brake pads on my SLX are done. Like metal on metal done. Fortunately, the rotor isn't scored and is still within tolerance so doesn't need to be replaced. Here's my dilemma.

I pulled the old pads, cleaned up the caliper with rubbing alcohol, and depressed the pistons into the body as far as they would go. I put the new pads/spring in and there's not enough clearance to get the rotor in when I try to put the wheel back on. I pulled the pads, mounted the wheel and tried to get the pads in. No go. What am I missing?
    Did you ever bleed the brake with semi-worn pads in it? You probably just have the brake overfilled, so you can't reset the pistons all the way.

Put a little fluid in the funnel that comes with the bleed kit, then attach that at the lever end. Reset the pistons with the lever end of the system open, so you can push extra fluid up into the funnel.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Did you ever bleed the brake with semi-worn pads in it? You probably just have the brake overfilled, so you can't reset the pistons all the way.

Put a little fluid in the funnel that comes with the bleed kit, then attach that at the lever end. Reset the pistons with the lever end of the system open, so you can push extra fluid up into the funnel.
    Thanks. That was going to be my next thing to try but was looking for some confirmation. And no, never bled the brakes before. Thanks again, I'll give this a shot tonight and report back.

I wound up bleeding both brakes since I was in repadding process, anyway. Work great. Thanks for the tip. I've never worked on hydraulic brakes before so it was a learning experience. Glad I did it.