Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Solution as a consumer is to just stop buying shit.
    Sems obvious from here but people need their cheap chinese shit to get through the day apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'll believe self-driving trucks are close when they figure out how to deal with bad weather. It doesn't make sense to build a supply chain around self driving trucks until they can operate in all kinds of weather. Even then it will likely require human drivers from depot to freeway and from freeway to depot. It would still make sense for long hauls but then you have to figure out how to fuel them.
    Meanwhile we have a cheaper alternative that requires minimal human intervention--trains. Probably we need to invest more in rail infrastructure. Maybe the fed govt needs to be laying track and charging the RR's to use it.
    I think we are extremely close to seeing self driving trucks daisy chain behind one human powered rig. And boy will I celebrate the day we don’t have semi trucks getting in the left lane of 80 going over Donner Pass at 38mph to pass the truck whose gear ratio has then running 36 mph.

It is a valid point though of how will these self driving trucks put chains on? Maybe they just go around or wait out the bad weather?

So it kept on raining and the levy did break

but not up here it didnt flood up narth but Vangroovy is cut off

So PANIC buy right ?

Gas up all the vehicals/ buy ALL the food in safeway, never mind that alot of stuff besides just COVID infections come from down east and the refinery is 400kms east

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turnips.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	373.2 KB 
ID:	393039

except nobody bought the turnips ^^ those poor turnips must feel like a grade school kid getting chose last in gym class
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^those are really nice floors for a grocery store.

I've read before that society is just 3 days of no truck traffic away from total chaos.

I'll believe self-driving trucks are close when they figure out how to deal with bad weather. It doesn't make sense to build a supply chain around self driving trucks until they can operate in all kinds of weather. Even then it will likely require human drivers from depot to freeway and from freeway to depot. It would still make sense for long hauls but then you have to figure out how to fuel them.
    Meanwhile we have a cheaper alternative that requires minimal human intervention--trains. Probably we need to invest more in rail infrastructure. Maybe the fed govt needs to be laying track and charging the RR's to use it.
    They're already on the interstates.. Been testing them for a year now, all four seasons..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I still haven’t figured out why RTK GPS machine control isn’t the solution for adverse weather road corridors, but I’m sure if I thought of it than some smart engineer has pondered it.
    If only there was some other way to move freight over land on roads that would steer the truck for you while you pulled lots of trailers. You'd probably want to separate them from cars, though.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    https://youtu.be/W7jSsyQKIfE

Excellent summary from 60 minutes. Situation is totally fucked. And some companies are making obscene amounts of money screwing everyone.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I liked watching the pilot dock the ship.

I think you once said that self-driving vehicles won't be ready for general use until they can extract themselves from a ski resort parking lot - with a foot of snow - on a weekend

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post

I've read before that society is just 3 days of no truck traffic away from total chaos.
    \

Yeah it looks like they upgraded the floors from in this Vid altho the moose didn't seem to care but the floods started on sunday 1.5 days later there was nothing but turnips

there did seem to be TP so I think people are still using what they over bought for the covid lockdown
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

We might as well kill ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post

It's already been calculated in EMBC for Vancouver Is. 3 days food, 4 days fuel if cut off from the mainland.

About self driving trucks and bad weather. Since the trucks don’t have to worry about timing out for hours driven couldn’t they either be re routed around the weather or stop and hold until roads are cleared?

And the electric autonomous trucks should get priority at the Tesla charging stations because the mail's (and products and raw materials) gotta get through quickest amirite???

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    About self driving trucks and bad weather. Since the trucks don’t have to worry about timing out for hours driven couldn’t they either be re routed around the weather or stop and hold until roads are cleared?
    I think they have automatic chains as an option if needed. Something like this:
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Yeah it looks like they upgraded the floors from in this Vid altho the moose didn't seem to care but the floods started on sunday 1.5 days later there was nothing but turnips
    Long time to let a moose graze — is anyone surprised he left the turnips?

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    https://youtu.be/W7jSsyQKIfE

Excellent summary from 60 minutes. Situation is totally fucked. And some companies are making obscene amounts of money screwing everyone.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Hard to see where the problem is. A couple months ago I looked at container volume through LA and long beach, and it was 20% above 2020 and 2019. So, the triggering event was probably too many imports. Now that it's jammed up, it's less efficient. Sort of like a freeway after an accident.

It's unclear to me that this is a port problem. Certainly the port is having problems, but that jammed railyard in Chicago would cause the port problem. No trains -> no containers leave port -> port fills -> ships can't unload. Also a full port makes container moves take longer - that can screw up truck scheduling. With rail blocked, shippers flood to trucks, making it worse. Prices rise. There's likely higher priority containers that get to jump the line, making the lower priority back up deeper and longer. Some container owners start losing money and look to abandon contracts (who wants last year's bananas? or Nikes?).

Could be an Enron situation too. Some enterprising hedgie saw the system near the breaking point, and gained control of enough components to break it. E.g. say a train company hired DeJoy to schedule trains... Could also be an after effect of Trump's trade war. I've been reading about farmers unable to ship ag products to China for several years now. Rerouting all those ag goods could tie up a lot of logistics and disrupt the system. People still gotta eat. Side note - I bet shipping costs dwarf the tariffs.

Seems likely it's those 20% extra containers. In 10 months the port moved as many containers as either 2019 or 2020. Blasted a bunch of cargo through in Spring, too.
    https://www.portoflosangeles.org/bus...tatistics-2019
    https://www.portoflosangeles.org/bus...tatistics-2021

So when all these goods hit do prices plummet?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Home Depot was out of any sort of construction adhesive and most sealants.

Only thing on the shelf was some concrete adhesive and Gorrilla brand at ~$12/tube.
    Went to Lowes for a roll of Tyvek. They were out, and said that they have no idea when they get more. It's supposedly been ordered for weeks and they're getting no communication about when it might ship.

Both the wife and I haven’t seen any ginger ale, in any brand, for over two weeks. I talked to the Coke guy restocking the shelves at Harmons this morning about it. He also had not seen or delivered any in the past two weeks and has no idea why.

Probably mainly because nobody drinks that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Went to Lowes for a roll of Tyvek. They were out, and said that they have no idea when they get more. It's supposedly been ordered for weeks and they're getting no communication about when it might ship.

The Alaska home siding industry will be fucked!

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    THIS and it's the supply of cans and bottles that has been hit hard. So they have to make product mix decisions with fewer containers they just produce the most popular ones..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ain-shortages/

I like it

What about when you have a tummy ache? Or need to drink really shitty gin?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ginger beer is the bomb. Local Costco had some around the holidays but gone now.