Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    You use zero fuel engine braking but use a small amount with the engine idling and the car not in gear, so Cuba guy basically punched his car in the dick for no reason.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    My gawd you're a fucking ignorant cunt. Are you trying to be a shithole troll...need to be insufferable to find yourself? So shut the fuck up you asshat gaper goat fucker

FYI, I replaced more brakes in July 1989 than you have in your life.

https://www.nsford.com/blogs/2500/se...0uneven%20wear.
    Brake pads can last anywhere between 30,000 and 70,000 miles. The variance depends on your driving style and typical driving conditions. Using data provided by Federal Highway Administration statistics on how many miles people drive annually, typical brake pads will last between 3 and 7 years.
    Brake rotors last roughly 70,000 miles, but they need to be inspected for uneven wear. If they do become slightly misshapen, you can have them turned or machined to be round again. This can usually be done two or three times before the rotors need to be completely replaced, but new technologies and increased labor costs may not make machining as cost-effective as complete replacement.

https://cartreatments.com/how-long-brake-pads-last/
    Average Life of Brake Pads
    Brake pads are a consumable part since the pad wears down with use. Though there are many factors that can determine the time that brake pads can be safely used on your vehicle, the average lifespan is somewhere between 30,000 and 70,000 miles for most vehicles.

https://www.hondaoflincoln.com/servi...%20maintenance.
    How Many Miles Do Brakes Last?
    Average brake life runs between 25,000 and 65,000 miles, though some people will have brake pads last beyond 80,000 miles. While it’s impossible to give an exact number, the 40,000-mile range is the general mileage to keep in mind when planning for vehicle maintenance. Keeping up with your vehicle’s standard service intervals will provide the best care for your Honda, since they’ll take everything from torque calculations to OEM specs into account. However, when it comes to your brake pads, their lifespan and condition will depend on more factors than that.

https://xlmechanicalservice.ca/how-o...eplace-brakes/
    Generally truck mechanics recommend that brake pads needs to be replaced after 75,000 kilometers. However, some need to be replaced after 40,000 kilometers while others can actually last up to 110,000 kilometers. It really depends on the factors that we have listed above.

https://www.firestonecompleteautocar...ake-pads-last/
    How long do you think the brake pads on your vehicle should last?

25,000 miles
    50,000 miles
    70,000 miles
    All of the above … maybe … sometimes?

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Brakes/FAQ
    How long do brake pads and rotors last?
    The lifespan of your brake components depends on a wide set of factors, from the type of pads and rotors you have to your personal driving style. Most brake pad companies and mechanics agree that pads typically last between 30,000 and 70,000 miles. Brake rotors can last quite a bit longer (as much as 3 times as long as pads), but again this depends on many factors like your driving conditions and brake system maintenance. If you're in the market for new brake pads, click here to compare the mileage warranties on our top 5 brands.

NOT ONE FUCKING EXAMPLE THAT EVEN COMES CLOSE TO PROVING YOUR POINT. STFU, YOU'VE BEEN PWND
    IMPPS
    Internet
    Meltdown
    Service

Damn bro, that was a lot of time spent on a rage call.

We all know brakes don’t last that long, if you’re a real driver.

PS. That link you posted about turning rotors made me laugh. That rarely happens anymore.
    . . .

You guys brake going downhill? What a bunch of pussies! Y'all should transition over to the basket weaving forums.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think it depends on how you do it, a real truck driver will double clutch down thru the manual gear box and he's got a lot of gears

if you are dumping into lower gears and over speeding at engagement thats not good for the trans, the skill with which most people usethe trans for a break they should probaby just use the brakes cuz modern brakes are pretty good

In cuba we had this driver who would shift to neutral to coast down every hill and grind it back into A gear at the bottom cuz thats what he learned from gas rationing but i think the amount of gas saved vs destroyed gearbox/ clutch was a loser
    Dbl clutch? I havent used a clutch in 15 yrs other than to start rolling. Jake brake and timing or just timing and starting down the hill at an appropriatwe speed. Rare but brake systems can fail and its hard to downshift without brakes
    Small cars and trucks would benifit from a brale app and downshift. Its not that hard but then again everything is auto know. Maybe it is hard

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

The plane won’t take off

So, my mechanic said the only thing that I could have done differently would have been to borrow a 3500, preferably with a Jake brake (which are not permitted in Wilson, anyway).
    my truck was a bit overloaded. And he agreed with 50-70k, has has been a mechanic for trucks going over the Pass for 35 years, he has seen it all.
    Mentioned the comedy of 250k, and he said “maybe in Florida, I want some of that crack”
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Dbl clutch? I havent used a clutch in 15 yrs other than to start rolling. Jake brake and timing or just timing and starting down the hill at an appropriatwe speed. Rare but brake systems can fail and its hard to downshift without brakes
    Small cars and trucks would benifit from a brale app and downshift. Its not that hard but then again everything is auto know. Maybe it is hard

well the point would be matching revs to not stress the drive train however you do it ,

I have never driven a standard with a jake because I have never seen one in a small truck or car and I don't drive large trucks
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/u-s-...mber-1.5430203

after years of playing Dirty/ fucking over Canadian lumber producers on softwood trade agreements American lawmakers want to revisit tariffs but i havent heard of any Canadian company caring

" In order to have an agreement and in order to have a negotiation, you need to have a partner. And thus far, the Canadians have not expressed interest in engaging," Tai said
    A lot has to due with the low Canadian logging fees on public lands. At this point, who cares. Let Canada flood the USA with their subsidized softwood and force US sawmills to start competing again.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, my mechanic said the only thing that I could have done differently would have been to borrow a 3500, preferably with a Jake brake (which are not permitted in Wilson, anyway).
    my truck was a bit overloaded. And he agreed with 50-70k, has has been a mechanic for trucks going over the Pass for 35 years, he has seen it all.
    Mentioned the comedy of 250k, and he said “maybe in Florida, I want some of that crack”

I bet he's rich from no-driving suckas roasting brakes, ain't he?
    And you don't need a jake brake in Wilson. You need a jake brake coming down Teton Pass.
    And Teton Pass has a weight limit. They're evidently tired of semi trucks losing traction on the way up, which causes them to jack when their drive wheels spin out and the momentum of the 40k trailer pushes the tractionless aft end of the tractor sideways.
    Wy is a good state to go off-route, because you can save many miles, and Wy has cheap fuel and cheap Reservation smokes. The 212 from Rapid across the Crow and Northern Cheyenne reservations is an example: The speed limits are higher on the Big Road and there aren't long gaps between services, so that's where automated routing systems route [and pay] drivers. But if you haul ass up 212, you can buy fuel in Wyo and smokes in Mt and catch I90 again just past the Little Bighorn site, driving just as fast as you can on the interstate.
    Last edited by highangle; 05-17-2021 at 12:56 PM.

He is rich in wisdom from smacking down bloviating, poseur fools like yourself.
    We trade him goods and services...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

If HA is like me he posted and forgot a brake change over that time which brings both of your mileage within 25k of each other. This aint the gaza strip, just trucks towing our toys
    well the point would be matching revs to not stress the drive train however you do it ,

I have never driven a standard with a jake because I have never seen one in a small truck or car and I don't drive large trucks
    Copy that. Anyone with a diesel truck pulling their camper id recommend installing a jake. Much more safe/relaxing
    Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    I bet he's rich from no-driving suckas roasting brakes, ain't he?
    The dodge or ford may pull the duramax up a hill, idk, but chances are the front end falls out of the dodge and you go to get out of the truck and the door latch breaks or the ford rear diff, trani detonates so you shut it down and it wont start again, all before the top of said hill/fakts
    Meanwhile the tundra watches the battle of hitch nuts with the ac on and laughs and then laughs at the following 5 generations of those N American throw aways

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/u-s-...mber-1.5430203

after years of playing Dirty/ fucking over Canadian lumber producers on softwood trade agreements American lawmakers want to revisit tariffs but i havent heard of any Canadian company caring

" In order to have an agreement and in order to have a negotiation, you need to have a partner. And thus far, the Canadians have not expressed interest in engaging," Tai said
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    A lot has to due with the low Canadian logging fees on public lands. At this point, who cares. Let Canada flood the USA with their subsidized softwood and force US sawmills to start competing again.
    Stumpage in BC for the large tenure holders is based on sale of auctioned standing volume in BC Timber Sales. About a 6mo lag between the log market and the correction to those stumpage fees. July is the next one, and it will be going up significantly. But of course the holders of large tenure don't care about the tariffs right now; they have all invested heavily in the SE US, so their stock goes up regardless of the price of lumber-stumpage factors in Canada anymore. The only thing that could derail the earnings right now is the CAD-USD exchange, which is very tolerable given the current prices.

Of course the vast majority of complainers in the US market are the log buyers/traders next to the Can/US border. If the border would open to raw log trading, there would be no issue - but raw log export to the US (or most anywhere else) is a political non-starter.

Log market in BC right now is too hot. Timber Sale licenses go out the door on Monday, Tuesday the logger wants to start up the saw. No one wants to hold inventory right now. BCTS is getting upset rates above $200/m3 for sawlog and better standing douglas fir timber; this time last year that same standing timber would have sold for under $100m3

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    well the interesting thing IMO is that after years of saying fuck you Canada the shoe is on the other foot

a manager at the mill told me interest rates were a bigger deal than Tariffs, if the exchange goes up in Canada's favor they can't make money

A few years ago I skied/rode chair with an RPF who told me he had a contract to school American lawyers on the whole situation and he talked until we had to get off ... its complicated

in the mean time I will just get my lumber at the telkwa mall
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You can order or put a jake on a 6.7 Cummins, and 7.3 Fords came standard with exhaust brakes [as warmup valves to help pass emissions] 25 years ago.
    But jakes are only worthwhile with a standard shift diesel pickup [where you could conceivably knock it out of gear and not be able to get it back in the same hole]... and if you regularly haul something heavy with less wind drag than an RV - a hotshot or lowboy trailer, or 40' gooseneck horse trailer.
    For a 10k RV, the "OD Off" button in my old Ford E4OD does nicely [that's how it was made to be used]. For slower speed situations, I just use the shift lever to select a low enough gear to hold me back without riding my damn brakes. Not hard at all.
    Never had to use the 4x4 low range to get a trailer down a hill...And if I did, it would likely be off-road. They don't really pave hills so steep you need a creeper gear.

The CVT plus low option on my Suby seems to work pretty well on the icy downhills around here. Of course nothing seriously steep or with a serious load.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The CVT plus low option on my Suby seems to work pretty well on the icy downhills around here. Of course nothing seriously steep or with a serious load.
    Does it get 250K out of brake pads though...? That seems to be the question.

well the interesting thing IMO is that after years of saying fuck you Canada the shoe is on the other foot

a manager at the mill told me interest rates were a bigger deal than Tariffs, if the exchange goes up in Canada's favor they can't make money

A few years ago I skied/rode chair with an RPF who told me he had a contract to school American lawyers on the whole situation and he talked until we had to get off ... its complicated

in the mean time I will just get my lumber at the telkwa mall
    Yep, Canada can now do some horse trading, or log trading for whatever itch they want to scratch. I figure the Keystone pipepline is a no go. But doesn't hurt for Canada to bring it up again. Hopefully there will be some progress on trade talks and that will be enough to get the lumber futures to drop a bit.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The cvt is that sensitive that it accomodates for ice/compact snow? I run the jake in the winter on hills with compact a lot of the time but only because im loaded and i have , or can have, a front, underbody and wing plow down. If its glare ice chances are i'll have the jake off or atleast on the lowest of 3 settings. On ice id rather throw down the iron and feather the brakes than leave it to a jake all of a sudden blasting on. Hard to recover when your wheels lock up. With sensors nowadays the small cars and trucks are light years , in tech, ahead of tractor type trucks. Pretty amazing the cvt will accomodate for ice

If HA is like me he posted and forgot a brake change over that time which brings both of your mileage within 25k of each other. This aint the gaza strip, just trucks towing our toysCopy that. Anyone with a diesel truck pulling their camper id recommend installing a jake. Much more safe/relaxingThe dodge or ford may pull the duramax up a hill, idk, but chances are the front end falls out of the dodge and you go to get out of the truck and the door latch breaks or the ford rear diff, trani detonates so you shut it down and it wont start again, all before the top of said hill/fakts
    Meanwhile the tundra watches the battle of hitch nuts with the ac on and laughs and then laughs at the following 5 generations of those N American throw aways

Naw, I didn't forget putting brake pads on my truck, the truck with over 300k on it but which doesn't use oil or have any blow-by because the engine ain't half done yet. Nor do I forget inspecting the shit out of my brakes when I pulled the wheels to do ball joints and frontend u-joints and post pics here in the Wrenching thread and have to put up with a bunch of flak for not putting the dust covers back on...

I still have the new Raybestos Police pads and coated rotors I bought because I had to pull the front brakes out of the way to do it and that was the perfect time to swap them if they were the least little bit sus...
    But no, the warranty ran out on my new front brake parts with the parts still not even installed. Didn't need to and still don't. Maybe this fall to replace the original rotors and put the new pads and lines on? Maybe next spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Does it get 250K out of brake pads though...? That seems to be the question.
    I think it just lets him drive without roasting his brakes trying to pizza down the hill.

He is rich in wisdom from smacking down bloviating, poseur fools like yourself.
    We trade him goods and services...
    Sounds like he has a captive clientele that is both willing to put up with him, and stupid enough to believe he knows as much about driving as he does about replacing burnt brakes in his little shop at the foot of Teton Pass....
    While we're on that subject, you ought to be pert near an expert yourself, as much as you spend on brakes?

Dang. This whole brake thread-derail is cracking me up. That said, WTF are some of you doing to burn up pads so quickly?! Both my vehicles made it to north of 180K miles before having to do their first brake jobs and that's with factory pads. So maybe highangle's claims aren't so crazy if he's using those baller heavy duty pads on them? And yes. I too use engine braking on long descents. Insane mpg. Brakes stay cool for when you need 'em. Maybe a habit picked up from my MT driving days or from driving big trucks where you don't wanna use up all your air pressure prematurely.

The cvt is that sensitive that it accomodates for ice/compact snow? I run the jake in the winter on hills with compact a lot of the time but only because im loaded and i have , or can have, a front, underbody and wing plow down. If its glare ice chances are i'll have the jake off or atleast on the lowest of 3 settings. On ice id rather throw down the iron and feather the brakes than leave it to a jake all of a sudden blasting on. Hard to recover when your wheels lock up. With sensors nowadays the small cars and trucks are light years , in tech, ahead of tractor type trucks. Pretty amazing the cvt will accomodate for ice

You and I live in two completely different automotive worlds.

Huh, went to the Evo website and the have no blurs at all listed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

You and I live in two completely different automotive worlds.
    A jake can fuck up ur shit on ice. Especially unexpected ice. Driver comes down a steep switchback grade lets out of it expecting to coast over the river bridge at the bottom but the jake is still on all 6 cylinders. With the bridge iced it's like he jammed on the brakes of his rear wheels, and they skid and it's gonna jack if something's not done tout suite and most rikki tik.
    Feels bad man.