Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hey. Ride your fucking bike to work!

For those of us that don’t pretend to work from home....

Name:  Image1620742508.271777.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  78.6 KB

It’s fun dodging bum shit zippin thru Pioneer Square at 4:30am.

11.5m - takes me 50min cruising. 3rd time on the bike commute this month, trying to get two days a week through the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I biked to work nearly every day all year round when I lived in Boston. Shorter commute than yours but nice to be outside a little bit and way faster than any other mode of transportation. Just can get tough in rain or extreme heat if you don't have a locker room or somewhere at work to change and store clothes. On hot days I would always start sweating profusely the second I walked in the building and then you're just that inexplicably sweaty guy the rest of the morning. Makes you good at track stands and quickly dodging obstacles too
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I had a similar commute a few years ago, such an unpleasant ride. The section from Pioneer Square to South Lake Union is horrendous. I would frequently supplement with the light rail.

I have bike commuted extensively in DC, LA and the Bay Area, the north-south commute in Seattle is so much worse and more dangerous. Stay safe.

Commuted for years. Used to be able go for months without driving.

Now the commute sucks. Pretty sure I'd get smoked by a car within a month or two.

yikes, that looks brutal. i take the Ogden heel-toe express. way more entertaining.
    bumps are for poor people

Not uncommon to ride in 5 days a week. Sometimes weather or field work gets in the way. Only 8 miles RT, I actually wish it was a bit longer, ~30 minutes each way would be perfect. I figure I probably average around 1600 miles per year. I started 4-5 years ago after thinking about it for years and was hooked immediately. I've only nearly died once.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Now the commute sucks. Pretty sure I'd get smoked by a car within a month or two.
    Yep. My commute used to involve 2 miles of decent singletrack with 1/4 mile of road on each end. Now, it's a busy 2 lane highway with no shoulder. I know a guy that does it, but he's weird and kinda dumb. At peak traffic, you basically never don't have cars passing you.

There's a long-term plan to build a "trail" from beyond my burg to town. It will get done, but it's gonna be 20 years before it's a true, roadless option.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Hey. Ride your fucking bike to work!

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I had a similar commute a few years ago, such an unpleasant ride. The section from Pioneer Square to South Lake Union is horrendous. I would frequently supplement with the light rail.

I have bike commuted extensively in DC, LA and the Bay Area, the north-south commute in Seattle is so much worse and more dangerous. Stay safe.
    Thanks. My morning ride is early-early. I get to work before 5:45am... So I feel safe cruising thru downtown then... Going home I stay east, up in Cap Hill, then drop all the way down to Alaska on Yesler.... IE: going around the heart of Downtown, not through it, avoiding IPhone zombies and blocks of red lights ... I’d say 50% of the commute either direction is on protected bike lane so those zones feel safe... Seattle has been doing a somewhat decent job of adding protected bike routes when they repave/restripe...

I can’t believe you bike commuted in LA. I sold my road bike when I lived in LA.... the most bike unfriendly place I’ve lived.

The best bike commute I’ve had is from Leucadia to Oceanside. 10mi of beachfront cruising. Only a little climbing when you dip down into the lagoons....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I miss my bike commute, I haven’t made that run since July 2019. Happily though, my toddler likes the bike seat, so I still get to ride most days.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Yes, and for your groceries, and for errands, and to well...just ride.

I've commuted year around here in Vancouver for the last 6-7 years. Before that I'd ride till mid November and it would be dark and raining when I went to leave work and I'd just take the bus home and the bike would get stranded at the office till late February.

Now it's work from home...so I ride with the two kids on the back of the cargo bike to drop them off at school/daycare then ride back home. Happens rain or shine all year round unless there is snow (maybe two days a year). My kids don't know any different, I've been dropping them off by bike since they were a year an half old, just buddle up in the pouring rain and get-r-done.

I worked at the U of U for over 10 years and drove there maybe 20 times total as the parking situation is beyond fucked. They gave us a free bus pass which allowed me to avoid sketchy winter riding but the bulk of my commuting was on a 1970s Fuji single speed a grad school buddy sold me for $50. I rode thousands of miles on that thing and was in the best biking shape I've ever been since the U (and especially the cancer institute I spent most of my time at) sits at the top of the SLC foothills. I eventually switched to the road bike when I moved further down into suburbia and the commute got from 8 to 14 miles.
    New job is 3.3 miles from the house and it's almost too close to be enjoyable. We're moving to the W side though and I'm struggling to find a decent path to get there on the bike, it's looking like 12 or so miles but lots of sketchy high-speed roads without a wide shoulder...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

My commute is ~20 miles each direction, temperature is currently 35 in the mornings and 55-60 in the evenings. Layering is key so you're warm enough in the morning and not overheating in the evening. In general, I try to ride one direction each day 4 days a week which can cut my driving down by 1/3 or 1/2 and I still get to see my kids in the evening. I also have a shower at work, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I live in the same general area as Toast does and used to commute on my roadbike. Replaced that with a gravel bike last year and commuting has become fun (and safe) again. Here's a picture from one of my routes.

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200723_065908.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	374255

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    In general, I try to ride one direction each day 4 days a week
    this is like one of those logic problems with the wolf and the sheep and the boat. how do you ride only one way? multiple bikes? drive the car monday morning, ride back, ride in tuesday morning, drive back...?

How I picture nick

I picked up a Craigslist road bike this winter for $200 and use it for my 5 mile commute. It's 10 minutes to drive, and 5-10 more to bike depending on direction. Most of it is on a rural road with a massive shoulder/ bike lane with about a mile on bike paths. Almost zero cars at 5:45 am. I have a headlight, headlamp, and blinking tail lights on my seat post and backpack, but it's getting brighter in the mornings now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200723_065908.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	374255
    Beauty!! I'd buy a gravel bike in hot minute if this was one of my commuting options! Well, try to anyway.
    The shoulder on most streets in SLC looks to be just about as janky but I see fewer assholes driving 50 mph while on the phone in your pic.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I live in the same general area as Toast does and used to commute on my roadbike. Replaced that with a gravel bike last year and commuting has become fun (and safe) again. Here's a picture from one of my routes.
    That does look fairly pleasant. I think you have a better route than me - I did the gravel back roads thing for a bit. But it adds a bunch of mileage, takes twice as long, and while there's less vehicles, the vehicles that I do see are mostly rednecks in pickup trucks that are inclined to pass me as close as possible.

Turns out its a lot more enjoyable to drive to work and then use all the time I save to go ride my mountain bike somewhere fun.

I'm probably well over 15k commuting miles after 16 years of a 7-mile round trip almost every workday. WFH really put a damper on that, and I'm not expecting to get back to it anytime soon. Too bad, because even a short commute like that gave me a base fitness level, especially when I was towing the pooch to work with me (he was chill enough that he got office privileges).

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Too bad, because even a short commute like that gave me a base fitness level
    I'm not sure how much it really helps my endurance, but the assdurance benefits are huge.

3.5 mile commute here in SLC, 3.25 of that is bike paths going through Hidden Hollow park, Sugarhouse Park and using the S-Line and Parleys Trail. No complaints except it's too short.

I could even stop by Whole Foods and grab Overlanding points if I'm feeling wild and carefree.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    For those of us that don’t pretend to work from home....

Name:  Image1620742508.271777.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  78.6 KB

It’s fun dodging bum shit zippin thru Pioneer Square at 4:30am.

11.5m - takes me 50min cruising. 3rd time on the bike commute this month, trying to get two days a week through the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If you ever want a beer or anything on the way home I'm just across the Montlake bridge, probably working at home 2-3 days a week for a while.

My commute is almost all bike path, cross 520 and take it to Redmond. I've gotta stop at the gym where our production space is to shower since I sweat easily.

I'm transitioning to the office and plan to bike commute the days where I'm there consecutively. What I learned on my first commute was the messenger bag with the laptop and a change of clothes wasn't ideal on the way up the valley.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'm only 2.7 miles. It's so short I get blue balls, but I still do it. I can stretch it out to 3.2 if I go the "long way" on a bike path and then through the U of MT campus, which often has nice scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm not sure how much it really helps my endurance, but the assdurance benefits are huge.
    Towing my dog up the hills on my route was great for leg strength - made the first few days of snowboarding each year much less painful. I always thought it helped with base fitness, but maybe I was just younger at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    3.5 mile commute here in SLC, 3.25 of that is bike paths going through Hidden Hollow park, Sugarhouse Park and using the S-Line and Parleys Trail. No complaints except it's too short.

I could even stop by Whole Foods and grab Overlanding points if I'm feeling wild and carefree.
    geez. I ride that for fun sometimes on the road bike