Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Ummm....

"Between May 1961 and the end of 1972, there were 159 aircraft hijackings in United States airspace.
    Starting January 5, 1973, the FAA instituted universal physical screening of passengers, and everyone had to pass through metal detectors and have their bags searched. In 1974[8], the Air Transportation Security Act sanctioned the FAA’s universal screening rule, forcing U.S. airports to adopt metal-detection screening portals for passengers and X-ray inspection systems for carry-on bags."
    The progression of airline security screening serves as an excellent historical example of the implementation of a technical security control as a reaction to a widespread and credible threat.

https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/a-...tal-detectors/

Boarding a plane with no ID and a ticket in someone else's name is and was idiotic. Not being allowed to smoke on a plane is a good thing. Now, there's no shortage of airline fuckery and this post should not be construed as defending the industry, but you're smarter than that post.
    Just pointing out [some] ways in which 'personal freedoms' in travel have changed over time. Some may like the changes, while others may not. Personally, I am not a smoker, and I understand that you have the science and loud opinionated voices behind you, but I don't necessarily think that inhibiting others is a good thing.
    I can also give an economic example of why allowing someone who I designate to use my ticket is beneficial. I just don't want to waste my breath.
    It's not always about trying to be smart. ....or maybe, for some, it is.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Hate to say it, but get used to it. That's the norm these days. Screw those guys. We really need to rebel en masse as a society, but it ain't gonna happen.
    I’m calling bullshit. If you don’t like it, quit that company, get a job somewhere that the culture is more aligned with your lifestyle, and understand the pay structure may reflect this.

People that want to be workaholics can find their place and you should find yours.

The concept that ‘more is better’ has gotten much worse over time.

Having peaches and strawberries available all year but the quality is shit, the idea that a family needs a 3000 sq ft home, more garbage Tv channels, etc. supports my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman
    Boarding a plane with no ID and a ticket in someone else's name is and was idiotic. Not being allowed to smoke on a plane is a good thing. Now, there's no shortage of airline fuckery and this post should not be construed as defending the industry, but you're smarter than that post.
    The push for ID & same name was revenue protection for airlines more than security. As evidenced by RealID finally coming around two decades later.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    American's sugar intake.

The FDA has turned a blind eye, and at this point is complicit.

We are fat AF. It affects our health. It affects our lifespan.

Zero national interest in making Americans healthier, which is ironic as the pandemic should have brought that to the forefront.
    wasnt that cuz the FDA got paid off by the sugar lobby ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    The concept that ‘more is better’ has gotten much worse over time.

Having peaches and strawberries available all year but the quality is shit, the idea that a family needs a 3000 sq ft home, more garbage Tv channels, etc. supports my point.
    ‘More is better’ also applies pretty well to technology these days. There is A LOT of completely useless tech out there. Sometimes I sit back and look at some of this stuff and it seems that 80 years from now humans will barely be doing a thing. If we could hypothesize that humans don’t completely destroy the planet, the current path we’re on would probably have us evolve into amorphous blobs.

The herp. One has to be so careful these days.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Wal-E beat you to it!

Name:  88EAEC5C-3478-41B5-AE7F-A65F6FD9AC72.jpeg
Views: 376
Size:  26.0 KB
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Just pointing out [some] ways in which 'personal freedoms' in travel have changed over time. Some may like the changes, while others may not. Personally, I am not a smoker, and I understand that you have the science and loud opinionated voices behind you, but I don't necessarily think that inhibiting others is a good thing. I can also give an economic example of why allowing someone who I designate to use my ticket is beneficial. I just don't want to waste my breath.
    Not allowing people to smoke on airplanes is a perfectly acceptable infringement on personal freedom. That's a weird hill to die on. I have no issue with transferring a ticket to another individual, and you should be able to do it without paying some exorbitant fee, but it should have to be done through some kind of official means, for obvious reasons.

While the previous two issues are technically debatable, neither changes the fact that you were factually incorrect about the emergence of metal detectors and luggage screening in airports by over two decades. And it was done for good reason--159 hijackings in barely over a decade, holy shit!

Too many memba berries once again.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    They've diverged.

The good ones are better due to yoga and the associated pants. The bad ones are much, much worse.
    This.

Glad that you were able to fact check me. You got me there. I should have done my research before posting. I actually remember all of those planes headed to Cuba in the '70s

I was probably Referring more to what is currently known as full body scanners as opposed to what was happening in the late 70s

https://www.airport-technology.com/f...body-scanners/
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I agree air travel sucks big balls now, it's basically public transportation or prison at this point. Except on a bus or subway when some psycho starts acting up, you can bail at the next stop. In a plane it can be hours.

I'm a gonna say pop music. The 60s, 70s and 80s were awesome.

Yes, I'm a grumpy old dotard, but I'm holding onto that opinion on pop music until I hear a contemporary FZ, LZ, Stones, Mahavishnu, Miles, Herbie, Coltrane, Airplane, Quicksilver, Dylan, Beatles, Ramones, Clash, XTC, Funkadelic, Motown, Velvets, Fugs, Brown, Kinks, Who or Hendrix.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I agree air travel sucks big balls now, it's basically public transportation or prison at this point. Except on a bus or subway when some psycho starts acting up, you can bail at the next stop. In a plane it can be hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    People. Lots more cunts, morons, idiots, self entitled douches and generally incompetent muther fathers, I'll stop there for the moment; but people.
    Funny think is, IRL I meet very few genuine assholes, but on the internetz, jeezuz christ. The thing I hate is the volume of traffic. Freeways are cluster fucks all the time these days. I liked it better last May when everyone was hiding at home or better yet, 40 years ago before San Diego had so many people. So ya, it always comes back to to many people.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The thing about air travel is that it got too cheap. Schindler's lamenting about the $99 Newark to London days. Well those ninety nine dollars were used up before the airplane ever left the ground. If everyone were willing to pay the true cost of air travel in a first class seat (thus dramatically reducing the number of passengers on board, and completely eliminating the unwashed masses) air travel would be pretty great.

Utah

Just think how much cheaper 1st class and Business class would be if not subsidizing Economy seats too. No more kids kicking my seat = winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The thing about air travel is that it got too cheap. Schindler's lamenting about the $99 Newark to London days. Well those ninety nine dollars were used up before the airplane ever left the ground. If everyone were willing to pay the true cost of air travel in a first class seat (thus dramatically reducing the number of passengers on board, and completely eliminating the unwashed masses) air travel would be pretty great.
    those $99 tickets were subsidized by a whole bunch of business people paying $1k+ who didn’t have a clue how much their flight cost. Which worked both ways for airlines, BA found Concorde passengers thought they were paying more than they did.

That's still true on the majors.

Point being that it's the subsidized who are complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Meh. How much did their tickets cost in 2021 dollars compared to what it costs to fly Emirates, etc. today?

That's still true on the majors.

Point being that it's the subsidized who are complaining.
    Of course, outside of the Bezos level leisure travel is all about searching out inefficiency. You know, knee deep blower pow with only a handful of people on the slopes?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Utah
    Seattle
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

The French.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang