. . .

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Isn’t it obvious:
    Warrantless wiretapping
    Increased surveillance
    ThePatriot Act abuses
    Government secrecy
    Ability to travel freely

I assume when you use the word “you” you were just talking in the second person. Perhaps none of these affect me individually, but it has certainly taken it’s toll on society
    Has this stuff really changed or is it just the mediums of cell phones and the innert00bs have expanded the choices? Especially when contrasted with McCarthy era laws and behavior or Jim Crow laws for example.

Plus, thanks to the news media, we find out about this shit a lot more readily.

Disagree with the ability to travel freely, especially given the costs.

I must be missing what you mean.

My candidates include the lack of good hash like Lebanese Red, Temple Ball or Afghani Black, clean acid and the decline of my body.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Air travel. Specifically, fellow passengers/assholes and security shit.

And yeah Buster, I miss black Afghani hash.

Putting a lift on Kachina peak.

Radio
    Broadcast TV
    Newspapers
    Traffic
    Average product knowledge of any given store employee
    Air travel - pre 9/11 was a different era
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Bootstraps much? You always have the freedom to be the boss, the freedom to walk away and start something new, the freedom to work hard, or the freedom to be lazy. These are personal choices and no one else is restricting your freedom to change but you.

Better compared to when? Certainly not anytime 1870-1950 or after 1980 and that small window 1950-1980 seems like a lot of fighting for expansion of freedoms was occurring. What is your Utopian freedom Era that existed compared to what you believe is restriction of freedom today?
    Not to mention - you're as accessible as you allow. Don't set any expectations that weekend/off hours inquiries get answered. If anything, big brother tools are on the downswing due to GDPR, CCPA etc. risks.

Here are some of my thoughts on travel inhibition . Prior to 9/11, I didn't have to go thru metal detectors to board an airplane, and I didn't have to wait in line for an hour to get thru customs or to clear security. I could board an airplane without ID, or with a ticket purchased in my sister's, friend's, or anyone else's name. If I wanted, I was able to smoke pot or cigs. in the lavatory, or even in my seat. I know, different times, but to me these are examples to how travel restrictions have changed.
    Sure, one can argue that travel is more easily available at cheaper rates, but I used to fly People's Express or Freddy Laker to London from EWR for $99.

IDK, I just think that the government's philosophies behind Patriot Act and NSIS laws have given Big Brother a permanent hold on the public, and I consider this to be a step backwards.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Not to mention - you're as accessible as you allow. Don't set any expectations that weekend/off hours inquiries get answered.
    Yup. There are a couple ways to look at this

1. The boss may just be sending that email/text because that minor question popped into their head and they wanted to write it down before they forget about it
    2. The boss really needs that answer right now for (reasons)
    3. You're comfortable enough in your job to know this isn't critical and it can wait until Monday
    4. You value your time off and don't give a shit if it's critical or not and it can wait until Monday
    5. You're a bootlicker and you'll answer your boss right away no matter what

Most items fall into items #1 & #3. Most people fall into #5, but blame #2 and cry about it. Bootlickers gonna bootlick
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Has this stuff really changed or is it just the mediums of cell phones and the innert00bs have expanded the choices? Especially when contrasted with McCarthy era laws and behavior or Jim Crow laws for example.

Plus, thanks to the news media, we find out about this shit a lot more readily.

Disagree with the ability to travel freely, especially given the costs.

I must be missing what you mean.

My candidates include the lack of good hash like Lebanese Red, Temple Ball or Afghani Black, clean acid and the decline of my body.
    Granted, I am not a technology expert, but it seems infinitely easier for government to track your every move via various technologies (electronic records, cellphone, etc) which leads to them doing things like bypassing warrants to get location data they can now just buy from private third parties.

Yes, we find out about the abuses, but has the behavior actually changed?

Admittedly, I am less concerned about government than I am about Silicon Valley hacking my brain for profit.

Social media, 24/7 news and all the associated crap and decline in quality (although access to really high quality stuff is better in some ways) that goes along with it is definitely high on my list of net negatives since I was a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Republicans, Libertarians, conservatives, all have become whiny cunts.

Wait until you meet the #woke

But you're right, it used to be Repubs, etc were the self-starters and the woke were just a small tax on society, Now everybody's a whiner.

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post

1. The boss may just be sending that email/text because that minor question popped into their head and they wanted to write it down before they forget about it
    3. You're comfortable enough in your job to know this isn't critical and it can wait until Monday
    4. You value your time off and don't give a shit if it's critical or not and it can wait until Monday

Most items fall into items #1 & #3. Most people fall into #5, but blame #2 and cry about it. Bootlickers gonna bootlick
    This is a real problem though. Many companies and bosses have cultures around being connected that you have to figure out how to navigate.

Every time I am issued a new device I turn off all of the alerts on all applications, email, text etc.

IME, the easiest solution to this is to a) realize that email is not a text message and b) does not require an immediate response. You would have called or texted if you needed an immediate response. I have a 24 hour response rule for everyone except the boss. I will respond to your email in some fashion within 24 hours, which may or may not contain an answer depending on my workload and importance of your question. I may or may not respond to your text/call depending on how important your issue is relative to my other workload.

I have done number 1 at a crazy hour as the boss and then had someone reply. Had to talk to them about turning off at the end of the day. There is also a way to set you emails to only send during certain hours so you don’t create weird expectations.

Here are some of my thoughts on travel inhibition . Prior to 9/11, I didn't have to go thru metal detectors to board an airplane, and I didn't have to wait in line for an hour to get thru customs or to clear security. I could board an airplane without ID, or with a ticket purchased in my sister's, friend's, or anyone else's name. If I wanted, I was able to smoke pot or cigs. in the lavatory, or even in my seat. I know, different times, but to me these are examples to how travel restrictions have changed.
    Sure, one can argue that travel is more easily available at cheaper rates, but I used to fly People's Express or Freddy Laker to London from EWR for $99.

IDK, I just think that the government's philosophies behind Patriot Act and NSIS laws have given Big Brother a permanent hold on the public, and I consider this to be a step backwards.
    9/11 was just one of the cuts, there was also the “shoe bomber” (December 2001) then the purported plots to bomb short term parking (again sometime after 9/11) and other things that made the public at large support security hysteria.

I remember timing arrival at midsize airports 20-30 minutes before departure. Park the car in short term which was a minute or two walk to security, which waved you through, where you could check in at the gate and be on your way. Flying was easy.

Google, so many good ideas poorly executed over the years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8396.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	374253

Prior to 9/11, I didn't have to go thru metal detectors to board an airplane
    Ummm....

"Between May 1961 and the end of 1972, there were 159 aircraft hijackings in United States airspace.
    Starting January 5, 1973, the FAA instituted universal physical screening of passengers, and everyone had to pass through metal detectors and have their bags searched. In 1974[8], the Air Transportation Security Act sanctioned the FAA’s universal screening rule, forcing U.S. airports to adopt metal-detection screening portals for passengers and X-ray inspection systems for carry-on bags."
    The progression of airline security screening serves as an excellent historical example of the implementation of a technical security control as a reaction to a widespread and credible threat.

https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/a-...tal-detectors/

Boarding a plane with no ID and a ticket in someone else's name is and was idiotic. Not being allowed to smoke on a plane is a good thing. Now, there's no shortage of airline fuckery and this post should not be construed as defending the industry, but you're smarter than that post.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Not to mention - you're as accessible as you allow. Don't set any expectations that weekend/off hours inquiries get answered. If anything, big brother tools are on the downswing due to GDPR, CCPA etc. risks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post

You're both correct, but it's also true that people come in with these expectations. It is indeed up to us to subvert those expectations. I also refuse to answer late night weekend e-mails, but there's always those workaholic butt-smooching team members who ALWAYS respond 24/7 which skews the management's expectations back to square one. Then it becomes a workplace culture thing as more team members start going along with it. Should go in the shit that annoys me thread.

That said, screw those bosses in your scenario #1. Back in the day (yes, even after the dawn of e-mailing), there was a general respect of business hours. Bosses/clients/customers typically wouldn't ever bug you at home or on the weekends. Now we get notifications on our phones 24/7, so now you don't even have to be sitting at your computer during work hours to get harassed. Workplace group chat (mine uses Google hangouts) is also annoying. Handy sure, but again, the bootlickers screw it up for the rest of us. Inversely, girlfriends/wives didn't used to harass us at work either. When you were at the office, they HAD to call you on your office, and they wouldn't do that unless it was really freaking important. Now people think its ok to call when you're at work, which I still think is unprofessional. Especially when it's to blather on with inane details about their day. THAT is a cultural shift for sure. Thankfully my wife's good about it, but my ex's were all terrible about it. Again. Expectations management was key, but they ALL come in with those expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    This is a real problem though. Many companies and bosses have cultures around being connected that you have to figure out how to navigate.
    Bingo. Especially when you work for/with a bunch of workaholics who apparently have no lives. This has become increasingly problematic since I entered the work force in the 90s and I blame hyper-connectivity for much of it. It sucks when you can't just shut off your brain from work after hours and focus on your family, friends, and other pursuits. People have become slaves to work more than ever IMO. Especially my tech friends who's work demands have just become insane. It's like they get zero time off. WFH has compounded that problem even further over the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Granted, I am not a technology expert, but it seems infinitely easier for government to track your every move via various technologies (electronic records, cellphone, etc) which leads to them doing things like bypassing warrants to get location data they can now just buy from private third parties.

Yes, we find out about the abuses, but has the behavior actually changed?
    I don't think it's changed that much except for the Patriot Act which actually isn't as bad as the McCarthy regulations where people lost their careers as a result of being suspected of being a communist. Point being that if the McCarthy era had cell phones and innert00bs, privacy violations would have been worse.

Admittedly, I am less concerned about government than I am about Silicon Valley hacking my brain for profit.

Social media, 24/7 news and all the associated crap and decline in quality (although access to really high quality stuff is better in some ways) that goes along with it is definitely high on my list of net negatives since I was a teenager.
    One would think that given all the headspace given to personal property by Hume. Locke and even Hobbes, all these Federalist types would have done a better job of protecting out personal information. Assholes.

Social media is a 2 edged sword. I avoid the Fecebook stuff and wish that based on the above that google would get sued and put in place.

Man, I remember how cool I thought Facebook was when it came out for .edu email addresses and allowed me to stay connected to old college friends, etc.

I’ve been steadily moving away from all things google as much as possible as well.

All social media is way creepy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

It has been a while since I've even heard people talk about hash, and even longer since I've partaken. Fortunately, weed is better than ever and a hard pull off some diligently collected keef is a decent substitute.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

American's sugar intake.

The FDA has turned a blind eye, and at this point is complicit.

We are fat AF. It affects our health. It affects our lifespan.

Zero national interest in making Americans healthier, which is ironic as the pandemic should have brought that to the forefront.

Media, the best and the worst.
    Overall, I think things have gotten better, but given the constant onslaught of information and disinformation via ubiquitous and omnipresent digital media, it sure seems like things are worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    You're both correct, but it's also true that people come in with these expectations. It is indeed up to us to subvert those expectations. I also refuse to answer late night weekend e-mails, but there's always those workaholic butt-smooching team members who ALWAYS respond 24/7 which skews the management's expectations back to square one. Then it becomes a workplace culture thing as more team members start going along with it. Should go in the shit that annoys me thread.

That said, screw those bosses in your scenario #1. Back in the day (yes, even after the dawn of e-mailing), there was a general respect of business hours. Bosses/clients/customers typically wouldn't ever bug you at home or on the weekends. Now we get notifications on our phones 24/7, so now you don't even have to be sitting at your computer during work hours to get harassed. Workplace group chat (mine uses Google hangouts) is also annoying. Handy sure, but again, the bootlickers screw it up for the rest of us. Inversely, girlfriends/wives didn't used to harass us at work either. When you were at the office, they HAD to call you on your office, and they wouldn't do that unless it was really freaking important. Now people think its ok to call when you're at work, which I still think is unprofessional. Especially when it's to blather on with inane details about their day. THAT is a cultural shift for sure. Thankfully my wife's good about it, but my ex's were all terrible about it. Again. Expectations management was key, but they ALL come in with those expectations.
    Heh, I have a coworker that talks with his stay at home spouse for at least a couple hours a day. WTF are you doing that you have time for that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Bingo. Especially when you work for/with a bunch of workaholics who apparently have no lives. This has become increasingly problematic since I entered the work force in the 90s and I blame hyper-connectivity for much of it. It sucks when you can't just shut off your brain from work after hours and focus on your family, friends, and other pursuits. People have become slaves to work more than ever IMO.
    Can’t relate to any tech workers but I am currently reporting to a workaholic of epic proportions. I’m talking 13-14hrs M-F and no less than 8 on Saturdays, in the office, not counting the 2 hour daily commute. Leaving at 10hrs is considered cutting out early, doesn’t matter if you’ve got all your shit done, we’re told they’ll find more to keep you longer.

This kind of attitude is what I chalk up to be class A bootlicker work ethic. Basically kill yourself at your job to get 1 peg higher in the corporate ladder shitshow. Before too long working like that is all you know, because you don’t participate in any of your hobbies anymore, you’re not missing out on life. It’s a shame that being a “hard worker” is now synonymous with being the last douche in the office everyday.

Will never submit to that kind of bullshit lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    American's sugar intake.

The FDA has turned a blind eye, and at this point is complicit.

We are fat AF. It affects our health. It affects our lifespan.

Zero national interest in making Americans healthier, which is ironic as the pandemic should have brought that to the forefront.
    Huh. Ya don't say? I made that EXACT same assertion in the Fear and Loathing thread like a year ago and nobody wanted to even talk about it. I agree with you though and still maintain it's one of the biggest reasons our death rates were so unnecessarily atrocious. Now, I'll back off before I get this thread accidentally derailed into PolyAss territory. Hehe. Carry on, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    i would think that, if anything, asses have improved over the years, no?
    They've diverged.

The good ones are better due to yoga and the associated pants. The bad ones are much, much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Can’t relate to any tech workers but I am currently reporting to a workaholic of epic proportions. I’m talking 13-14hrs M-F and no less than 8 on Saturdays, in the office, not counting the 2 hour daily commute. Leaving at 10hrs is considered cutting out early, doesn’t matter if you’ve got all your shit done, we’re told they’ll find more to keep you longer.
    Hate to say it, but get used to it. That's the norm these days. Screw those guys. We really need to rebel en masse as a society, but it ain't gonna happen.