Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Coffee. Not the latte/frappe/mocha drinks (though I suppose those have improved) but the kind and quality of beans you can get and the consumer-level makers.

Did someone mention skis yet?

Radiant heating.

Wireless headphones.

Battery-powered tools.

The number of shills on TGR promoting ski brands. A decade ago this place was like walking down a Tokyo street full of titty bars.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Mountain bike are a tounsandty times better. Road bikes are better too, but not as much better as MTBs.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You don't hang out in Utah much do you?
    my og green jello oylmpic pins are gonna be bank when we gits the lympics again
    and ice aint old hes seasoned
    to the point of cant members
    how to be iceman again
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Civil rights for women and minorities. (Still a long way to go)
    Luxuries available across the board, but especially to those willing to work for them.
    Weed
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Headphones/earbuds

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Well, cars.

edit: oh yeah and weed
    Do you mean access to good weed? It hasn’t really gotten better since I started smoking, early ‘80s.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Do you mean access to good weed? It hasn’t really gotten better since I started smoking, early ‘80s.

isn't it common knowledge that THC concentrations have gone through the roof in the last few decades?
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Coffee.
    Truth. When I was a kid, seems like everybody drank Folgers and other such swill.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Battery-powered tools.
    HUDGE leaps for sure. I'm still always blown away by how much life I get out of my Milwaukee batteries and how much power they can pump out. I've switched away from air tools for the most part and that kind of blows my mind. When you can use a wrench with 2000' lb-ft of torque and a battery that lasts all day out in the field, that's just.... wow!

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    isn't it common knowledge that THC concentrations have gone through the roof in the last few decades?
    The access to really potent weed has gotten better. While you can generalize that weed has gotten more potent there was plenty of people growing really potent weed 40 years ago and potency isn’t the only metric for quality. We weren’t all smoking brick weed in the ‘80s. They didn’t even start quantitative testing of weed until recently.

splitboards
    27° 18°

Sex robots... ...I've heard from a friend.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Not so sure about appliances. Yes, maybe they have more features, but something like a fridge hasn't really come too far if you ask me and it doesn't really seem like they're any more reliable.
    I could always fix them cuz they were simple but I'm not so sure anymore more features are just more things to break that I can't fix without n expensive serice came and replacement of an expensive assembley
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What’s gotten much better over the years

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Ice hockey--the speed and skill level have never been higher. Now if they could get rid of the fighting and cheap shots. (I'd rather watch international hockey--the wider rink makes for a more wide open game with less banging for the puck in the corners, and minimal fighting.)
    This is 100% true, fighting is on its way out too.

Mentioned on a podcast last week but hard to argue Connor McDavid isn’t the most dominate star in any professional league right now. People will see that as ESPN has tv rights for next year and will be much more promoted.

Athletes in general are a lot better. Some of it aided by technology but also habits. 25 years ago guys were drinking and smoking in locker rooms, not so much anymore.

I’d say access to quality (not high end, just good eats) restaurants/ food has gotten a lot better. Seemed as a kid everything was the same bland options.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I could always fix them cuz they were simple but I'm not so sure anymore more features are just more things to break that I can't fix without n expensive serice came and replacement of an expensive assembley
    And much like cars, these days it seems like 9 times out of 10 the problem boils down to a prohibitively expensive and hard to obtain PCB or some little component on the board that's impossible to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    No, this is generally considered false. There has always been good weed, it's just that NOBODY smokes ditch weed anymore.

availability of edible sushi
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

+100 on coffee. The advent of real time data logging is almost completely responsible for the leaps and bounds quality increase we've seen in coffee over the past 10 years. Hard to understate just how big of a breakthru this is.

Middle and lower shelf whisk(e)y, craft beer, widely available organic produce, healthier food in general

Restaurants - 15 years ago it was all Olive Garden and Pizza Hut, now we have pretty damn good food available everywhere.

Climbing gear. Weather modeling. Cost of travel (AirBNB and cheaper airfare). Materials technology - across the board - from goretex to medical device implants to anything else.

Surgery techniques. I donated a kidney and I was working (while laying down) the same day, hiking two days after. Nerve blocks.

Re coffee, one of the things that has vastly improved is the floor. As in, shitty coffee has gotten much better. Gas station coffee used to be universally disgusting. Now, while it certainly isn't always good (occasionally it is), it is usually drinkable if you need a cup of coffee; it doesn't make you gag. That's a big win on road trips.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Funny, Airbnb and the raising of the floor price for travel is one thing that’s gotten worse, IMO. Markets were way more inefficient, to both the bad and good.

Availability of good Mexican food. Absolutely no idea why anybody in the west would ever eat at taco bell ever. So many better choices at the same price point.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Cameras: phone, still, and video

Access to action sports coverage

On-demand entertainment (availability of streaming video/music)

Wolfram Alpha still amazes me.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Cameras: phone, still, and video
    And for the price too! The level of easy performance you get for the money out of a Sony Alpha-series camera is just absurd!!! That's not the only example either. Now any noob like me can take stellar looking shots.

This will likely be an unpopular opinion in a forum of grumpy dotards, but, from what I've seen, kids are better. My kids and their friends are so much better than I and my friends were at their age. And I've seen articles about how, statistically, kids these days drink less, smoke less, get pregnant less, bully less, and commit fewer violent crimes than we, the children of the 70's, 80's, and 90's.