Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cyberattacks and ransomware

WTF. Talk about shitty people doing fucked up things. The last few that the media told us about were disturbing and now the pipeline that moves about 50% of the fuel to the East Coast is shut down. If it stays down another day supply levels will start to drop, if it's still down on Tuesday we've got problems. Compounded with a critical shortage of certified tanker truck drivers that has 25% of the (national) fleet off the road things could get really dicey when they have to start rationing which could happen by Wednesday afternoon.

What's next? What power grid or fresh water supply system gets knocked out...

I had my work server bricked. It sucks.

Didn’t lose much data since I had a cloud backup.

But it’s virtual rape. A complete violation. I still wonder how long it could have been running, uploading all the data for later mining and blackmail. Uggh.

The interesting thing about the gasoline pipeline is that now it’s common knowledge. An actual terrorist could blow it up in three locations and make a year long gas shortage in the east.
    . . .

Good thing we shut down alternate supply line construction.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

The interesting thing about the gasoline pipeline is that now it’s common knowledge. An actual terrorist could blow it up in three locations and make a year long gas shortage in the east.

It’s always been common knowledge. Buckeye pipeline runs right through the fucking state. Big old signs all over the place done sayin’ look out there’s a fucking pipeline right here. Definitely no secret.

Nation-state actors. Just the beginning. We built quite the house of cards.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Nation-state actors. Just the beginning. We built quite the house of cards.
    I see it as more of we got lazy and complacent. Power distribution and water distribution networks should be completely segregated from any other network in the building. No internet access of any kind. We decided to make it "easier" to manage "from anywhere".

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I see it as more of we got lazy and complacent. Power distribution and water distribution networks should be completely segregated from any other network in the building. No internet access of any kind. We decided to make it "easier" to manage "from anywhere".

We're talking past each other.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Good thing we shut down alternate supply line construction.

Cause those would somehow be immune? /S
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 05-09-2021 at 08:54 AM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Cause those would somehow be immune?
    Just sarcasm

Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Got it, thx
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

That's how we do it. You can still have remote SCADA access without compromising security. Business networks with hundreds of users and internet access is tough, but any OT network that gets hacked is purely a result of bad network administration.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    That's how we do it. You can still have remote SCADA access without compromising security. Business networks with hundreds of users and internet access is tough, but any OT network that gets hacked is purely a result of bad network administration.
    Not purely. Also a lack of proper regulation AND oversight.

Tested and working Backups, disaster planning, and better network design are part of the equation. Users not doing dumb stuff, multiple layers of network protection- firewalls, anti-virus, email filtering so phishing messages do not even make it into an inbox, and limited rights with only as needed access, are part of the other side also. Keeping up on firmware and patching vulnerabilities as revealed also needs to be a priority.

Just like say a Hospital or Healthcare ransomware attach that can affect the critical operations of emergency rooms, IT and security needs to be thought of differently in many businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Tested and working Backups, disaster planning, and better network design are part of the equation. Users not doing dumb stuff, multiple layers of network protection- firewalls, anti-virus, email filtering so phishing messages do not even make it into an inbox, and limited rights with only as needed access, are part of the other side also. Keeping up on firmware and patching vulnerabilities as revealed also needs to be a priority.

Just like say a Hospital or Healthcare ransomware attach that can affect the critical operations of emergency rooms, IT and security needs to be thought of differently in many businesses.
    Therefore we find ourselves living in the current house of cards.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    We're talking past each other.
    I got ya, and totally understand your point.

Bingo. There is zero reason that utterly critical infrastructure shouldn't be handled via isolated intranet systems. Maddening to see how the idiots in charge of these outfits allow some of these things to be so vulnerable to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Bingo. There is zero reason that utterly critical infrastructure shouldn't be handled via isolated intranet systems. Maddening to see how the idiots in charge of these outfits allow some of these things to be so vulnerable to attack.
    Its called capitalism. Same reason Texas went without power for a week this winter.

the best part is a lot of the controllers that run this stuff are on older bacnet and modbus protocols, which arent super security based protocols. Any one I ever installed was never to touch the internet. You could not access building management systems anywhere but INSIDE the physical building. Access to the physical controllers was controlled. If you didn't need to touch it you would never touch it.

Just wait....water systems, sewage systems, power grids....all very outdated and for sure not secure.

the best part is a lot of the controllers that run this stuff are on older bacnet and modbus protocols, which arent super security based protocols. Any one I ever installed was never to touch the internet. You could not access building management systems anywhere but INSIDE the physical building. Access to the physical controllers was controlled. If you didn't need to touch it you would never touch it.

Just wait....water systems, sewage systems, power grids....all very outdated and for sure not secure.
    I've asked this here before and got only lighthearted answers, but I'll try again. What protocols do we have on the TGR servers??? I have posted sensitive information here that in the wrong hands could be used against me.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Oh you have no idea. We have major hydroelectric dams that are still susceptible to the ping of death.

At what point do we decide that a cyber attack on our infrastructure by a state actor is the same as a missile attack?
    It seems unlikely that a state actor would do a ransomware attack, although the ransom demand could be a smoke screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What protocols do we have on the TGR servers???
    I think this is about as advanced as it gets:

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Its called capitalism. Same reason Texas went without power for a week this winter.
    Plenty of blame to spread around and capitalism might be the smallest percentage. Capitalism spends hundreds of billions annually on redundancy and business resilience solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    At what point do we decide that a cyber attack on our infrastructure by a state actor is the same as a missile attack?
    It seems unlikely that a state actor would do a ransomware attack, although the ransom demand could be a smoke screen.
    When the stimulus popularity wanes.

Apparently the hackers ignore any system where the language is set as Russian so all we have to do is set everything to Russian and we're all set. Easy peasy.