Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    What are people wearing for clippy shoes in the PNWet?

IE- something that can handle the wet and mud, but not a full on winter boot... Not a sponge or colander, but also not a sweatbox?

All these threads about going from clips to flats have me interested in the opposite conversion... trying clips for the first time in a decade....

I’ll buy some XT Trails. I was leaning towards the PI XAlp Elevates for shoes but reviews call them leaky?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Answer: Just use the boot dryer, and when it gets really wet and cold use Showers Pass waterproof socks.

i've toured wearing gortex shoe covers and they absolutley do keep your foot dry in driving rain
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

All out of XAlps in my size. Ordered ME5s and XT Trails. Excited to fall over a few times....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    All out of XAlps in my size. Ordered ME5s and XT Trails. Excited to fall over a few times....
    It's funny though - once your brain is trained, it's permanent. I was riding flat pedals the other day and noticed myself twisting my heel every time I took a foot off.

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Answer: Just use the boot dryer, and when it gets really wet and cold use Showers Pass waterproof socks.
    x2 on that! For wet mtbing at 30-50 degree temps those waterproof socks have led to a big increase in riding comfort for me. The boot drier also works great to dry the shoes out.

I'm half considering a few clipless rides after being almost entirely flats for five years, but think I might just keep it long rides in dry summer conditions. For some reason I just can't get away from the comfort and confidence that flats give me in slippery, off-camber steep/wet/rooty conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    <snip> For some reason I just can't get away from the comfort and confidence that flats give me in slippery, off-camber steep/wet/rooty conditions.
    And creek crossings. Man... doing Agate Creek was *sooooo* nice in 5.10's as opposed to clipless shoes. Except for the fact that the 5.10's weighed approximately 483 pounds at the end.

Ordered a pair of X-Alp Elevates and they came in yesterday. I was hoping for 45s but 45.5 was all I could find. I'm a 45 in my Sidis, but these 45.5s feel really similar in length so I think they are going to be a good fit. They flex and walk like a shoe. That is encouraging on one hand but also worrisome - I'll find out more when I get cleats on them and get a ride in.

If others are looking for these it would appear that Backcountry has them back in stock (as of two nights ago) in normal sizes.

Also. . . anybody want a good deal on a pair of Fizik Terra x5s?

Second ride tonight on the Elevates, and I'm happy with the shoes. The 43 is a smidge long for me, but the toe box is snug enough laterally that I'm not 100% sure the 42 would've been a good choice, and the two-boa closure means I can just snug the upper one nice and tight. Once I do that, I'm not noticing the shoes much at all--no uncomfortable spots, my feet aren't moving around in them, etc--so I'm happy there.

Now I just need to figure out if I have my cleats positioned optimally or not; getting back in didn't seem as easy as I thought it should today, but it's been a while since I went mountain biking with clipless pedals, and road riding isn't really a fair comparison.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app