Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Clipless flat shoes that do everything?

I usually ride SIDI dominators or something. They are very stiff yet very comfy for me. Heel held in pocket perfectly. My big toe sticks out the furthest and they break in like slippers Until I have to hike a bike...
    They suck for walking and last summer I did some longer bike carries (e.g. Canyon creek) and my feet hurt and the shoes were destroyed.
    Xt trail pedals.
    I just got some new 5.10 kestrel boa because they seemed like something I would like for riding but could still hike.
    They just feel so floppy. My heel lifts up but my toes hurt so it's the correct size.
    Before I throw money away at another shoe, am I seeking something that doesn't exist? Like that ski boot that tours like an F1 Lt but skis like a plugged 130 race boot?
    The sidi shoe that is similar has terrible review and looks flexy and is pricey.
    Local shops basically have very little in stock to try on.
    Riding a SC tallboy and I generally keep my wheels on the ground. Very rarely in the bike park.
    I don't really want to switch pedals based on the ride. So staying clipless
    Last edited by jhyatt; 05-08-2021 at 11:52 AM.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Ultimately, you can either have something stiff and efficient, or somewhat softer and walkable. It's a spectrum between those points, and whether you can find something that has a flex that works for you and walks ok and fits you well might be a tall order.

That said, try some Giro Terraduros. Narrow-ish fit like Sidis, walks ok, medium stiff sole.

My Pearl Izumi X-Alp Summits are pretty stiff and personally I think they HAB better than 5.10 Freeriders on anything but pure rock. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    My Pearl Izumi X-Alp Summits are pretty stiff and personally I think they HAB better than 5.10 Freeriders on anything but pure rock. YMMV.
    HAB? Husband and boyfriend?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Hike A Bike. I also use Pearlizumi X-Alp Summit FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Ultimately, you can either have something stiff and efficient, or somewhat softer and walkable. It's a spectrum between those points, and whether you can find something that has a flex that works for you and walks ok and fits you well might be a tall order.

That said, try some Giro Terraduros. Narrow-ish fit like Sidis, walks ok, medium stiff sole.
    Thanks! Looking more stiff. Will check out terraduro
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

5.10 Kestrel Lace
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

5.10 Kestrel Lace
    Do they fit differently than the BOA?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Bontrager evoke shoes have a solid tread, reasonably stiff, and run kinda narrow that might fit what you are looking for. Not sexy looking and only has three Velcro straps instead of boa or something, but they are cheap.

Not light, but I loved my shimano ME7. They fit and pedaled better than my giro fancy shoes. But they only last 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Bontrager evoke shoes have a solid tread, reasonably stiff, and run kinda narrow that might fit what you are looking for. Not sexy looking and only has three Velcro straps instead of boa or something, but they are cheap.
    I thought the 5.10 Kestrel lace's that I got recently felt stiffer than the evokes when I tried them on, of course its all in the fit. I don't think the kestrels walk all that great for what they are, my old Shimano AM40s were better. Was curious about the ME7 but couldn't find any in my size.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I need sexy!
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    Keeping my eyes peeling for terraduro,me7, evoke, x-alps...
    Last edited by jhyatt; 05-09-2021 at 06:08 AM.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Do they fit differently than the BOA?
    Way more comfortable around the heel. Real padding like a normal shoe, instead whatever godawful flat and hard garbage they use with the Boa version.
    You do get some heel rub walking around as they are quite stiff. Don't over tighten the strap; it's easy to do.
    No longer stuck.

Weird. Kestrel BOA feel comfy to me. They’re like a stiff XC shoe disguised as a normal shoe. Really stiff sole and can be made tight enough to eliminate heel movement, but much better for HAB than Sidis, which are my current DD.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I used to run Kestral Boa, now I run the Hellcat Pro. For all riding. Gravel, regular MTB, and enduro. Lots of walking in enduro transfer stages. Definite heal slip from the stiff sole, so I am now proactively putting mole skin on my heels before I race.

I do wish they made the same shoe in a mid-top with deeper heel cup and some inner ankle protection.

I like the laces and lace cover because I have had Boa explode on me and if it happened during a race you are SOL.

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...BoC-JEQAvD_BwE

Kestrels definitely favor being ON the bike, but they're not bad at all to walk around in.
    No longer stuck.

The kestrel boa still maintains its spot as the #1 most uncomfortable bike shoe I've ever ridden.

Your feet may vary.

The kestrel boa still maintains its spot as the #1 most uncomfortable bike shoe I've ever ridden.

Your feet may vary.
    The stock liners were crap, but I haven't run a stock liner in any shoe/boot in like 20 years. Still, they weren't super comfortable by any means. The Hellcat Pros are better.

^^^ The hellcat pros are pretty comfy, but a completely different kind of shoe. One's an xc-ish trail shoe, the other is one of the heaviest and hottest dh shoes on the market. Hellcat pro is great for what it is though.

+1 for Shimano ME7s. Michelin soles have fantastic grip on the rocks, which is a worthy mention because I saw a clipless rider get flushed down the Toilet Bowl on the Ribbon yesterday, trying to walk down it. Nasty incident.

I just remembered my winter shoes are sh-mw700 and they look pretty similar to mh7 but higher cuff and goretex. Those fit me well so I guess I am on the hunt for 45 mh7.
    Next short ride I will use them and remember how they feel, minus the heat.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

This thread is timely. I like my Sidis also and will probably shift those over to my gravel riding but have been looking hard at the X-Alp Summits. Any input on sizing of the new model (boa)? Some reviews suggest that the older model runs small. Any comparisons with the Sidi Dominators whilst riding? I can't imagine they would be as bad for walking.

Your feet may vary.
    I mostly wear marginal-fit XC weenie shoes, so people should take my opinions about relative comfort with a grain of salt.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

^^^ The hellcat pros are pretty comfy, but a completely different kind of shoe. One's an xc-ish trail shoe, the other is one of the heaviest and hottest dh shoes on the market. Hellcat pro is great for what it is though.
    I probably should consider something different. They are definitely hot, but I only run the switftwick socks so they aren't too sweaty, but there is probably a better option out there.

I have the 5.10 kestrel lace and find myself wanting something substantially less stiff (and also lighter if possible), though they fit great... any suggestions in the other direction? (don’t need to be flats, I always ride clipped, maybe wrong thread etc. just XC shoes that are comfy to walk around in)