Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    5.10 Kestrel Lace
    Agree - I really liked these for that application. But don't plan on doing a 12 mile backpacking trip with them if that makes sense. A "good hiking" clipless shoe that has ANY support for pedaling is going to feel a bit clumpy/sloppy when hiking but that's fine - it is about getting the job done and getting back on the bike.

Some superfeet insoles or something similar really helps with this too.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I have the 5.10 kestrel lace and find myself wanting something substantially less stiff (and also lighter if possible), though they fit great... any suggestions in the other direction? (don’t need to be flats, I always ride clipped, maybe wrong thread etc. just XC shoes that are comfy to walk around in)
    Look at shoes directed towards bikepacking. I tried on the Pearl Izumi x-alp canyon and it may fit the bill.

I replaced my sidi dominators with Giro Privateers with the ratchet. more comfortable for my foot and better for HAB.

I doubt they would be good on flats though.

I actually have some pretty decent PI shoes with laces. Size 10.5. Brand new after warranty return. For sale cheap.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I just pulled the trigger on some Shimano ME7s to try. Looks like lots of fans in here. Will report back when I get them later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I probably should consider something different. They are definitely hot, but I only run the switftwick socks so they aren't too sweaty, but there is probably a better option out there.
    Yeah, I hear you. I've put a ton of miles in mine, because they're tough to beat when you're going fast through loose rocks that are trying to break your toes. They smell horrendous though, because my feet just sweat in them and the stink doesn't have any way to escape.

I've got a few rides in the Ride Concepts Transition. It doesn't fit me quite as well as the Hellcats Pros, but they're a little bit more breathable and have similar (maybe even slightly better) protection.

I've had the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Elevate for a couple years and it seems to fit what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Thanks! Looking more stiff. Will check out terraduro
    What size are you Jhyatt? I've got a pair of NIB Terraduros up for grabs. I have small feet, they're size 42 I think, will confirm. $65 shipped if you want them, LMK. However, from experience, you'll destroy these too if you do much HAB. That's why I have these warranty replacements, and they're like my third pair, same deal. They lasted me about three months on average. I like the shoe otherwise. Also like the Privateers but they're even more fragile when it comes to HAB, destroyed them in a month or so with Canyon Creek being the clincher coincidentally. My warranty Privateers are now relegated to road/gravel duties, they're great for that.
    If you have a Sidi foot though, you prolly have a Giro foot, they fit pretty narrow, in a good way. They're uncomfortable to me out of the box but like Sidi, they also tend to break in like slippers if they last that long.

I ended up in the Giro Chamber II for MTB. Great shoes, pretty stiff, walk well with decent heel hold, good lookin, ha! DURABLE! First pair of shoes I've had that lasted longer than one full season since my old Lake MX165 which were boat anchors and way too wide. Now on Season three on my first pair of Chamber IIs and the sole is starting to peel just a little from around the cleat area. Little wear anywhere else. One of my local go-to loops has a rough HAB and I generally gravitate toward that kind of riding anyway, these stand up to it well.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

^^^ Not sure how old your Terraduros are, but the newer versions are better in terms of durability. Still nowhere near as durable as Sidis, but they're also nowhere near as expensive.

when we pay our local bike club fees we get a pair of very colorful " sockguy " socks monogrammed with the club logo, so you get something tangible for your club fees and you always got cool socks
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Giro Terraduro Mids or Shimano ME7s depending on fit. I've worn a succession of similar Shimano shoes forever, but found the latest version a bit wide, so went with the Giros.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    ^^^ Not sure how old your Terraduros are, but the newer versions are better in terms of durability. Still nowhere near as durable as Sidis, but they're also nowhere near as expensive.
    They're a couple years old now but supposedly past the early durability issues. I blew through those too and gave up on them. Nice shoes while they last though.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    They're a couple years old now but supposedly past the early durability issues. I blew through those too and gave up on them. Nice shoes while they last though.
    I had a pair that started to pull apart. A bit of shoe goo held them together for another 1000 miles or so. I'm not sure what glue Giro is using, but apparently it's not as strong as shoe goo.

I did catch a rock just right in the toe the other day. The Kestrel didn't really do much for protection. Ouch.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    What size are you Jhyatt? I've got a pair of NIB Terraduros up for grabs. I have small feet, they're size 42 I think, will confirm. $65 shipped if you want them, LMK. However, from experience, you'll destroy these too if you do much HAB. That's why I have these warranty replacements, and they're like my third pair, same deal. They lasted me about three months on average. I like the shoe otherwise. Also like the Privateers but they're even more fragile when it comes to HAB, destroyed them in a month or so with Canyon Creek being the clincher coincidentally. My warranty Privateers are now relegated to road/gravel duties, they're great for that.
    If you have a Sidi foot though, you prolly have a Giro foot, they fit pretty narrow, in a good way. They're uncomfortable to me out of the box but like Sidi, they also tend to break in like slippers if they last that long.

I ended up in the Giro Chamber II for MTB. Great shoes, pretty stiff, walk well with decent heel hold, good lookin, ha! DURABLE! First pair of shoes I've had that lasted longer than one full season since my old Lake MX165 which were boat anchors and way too wide. Now on Season three on my first pair of Chamber IIs and the sole is starting to peel just a little from around the cleat area. Little wear anywhere else. One of my local go-to loops has a rough HAB and I generally gravitate toward that kind of riding anyway, these stand up to it well.
    Size 45 but thanks.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I'm really into the Specialized 2FO DH. Really good middle ground stiffness, decent protection, pretty light for what they are, very good fit (for me).

About to go gravel ride/workout with the Shimano ME7 with Sole insoles. Initial thoughts compared to Hellcat pro is definitely much lighter, much stiffer, and way worse for walking in. These feel almost like road shoes to me.

42 miles mostly paved. Not the best test for an MTB shoe haha. They are cool and breathable, very good power transfer, definitely not awesome for walking though.

IDK if my feet are wide or if Shimano shoes are known to be narrow, but they hurt the sides of my forefoot pretty bad. Maybe just gotta break em in more, but I can usually run new shoes of any type and be fine right out of the box (not counting super stiff hunting boots....or ski boots obviously).

42 miles mostly paved. Not the best test for an MTB shoe haha. They are cool and breathable, very good power transfer, definitely not awesome for walking though.

IDK if my feet are wide or if Shimano shoes are known to be narrow, but they hurt the sides of my forefoot pretty bad. Maybe just gotta break em in more, but I can usually run new shoes of any type and be fine right out of the box (not counting super stiff hunting boots....or ski boots obviously).
    FWIW, They do make a wide in the ME7.
    I have narrower feet and find Shimano to fit well.

I have ME7's showing up today, got Kestral Lace's the other day.
    Will report on both.

20 miles and 3,500 feet today. Some HAB. As my feet got used to the shoes they felt better and better. When HAB there is major heel lift, but they made the back heel area out of something soft/slippery so no blister issues with thin Switfwick socks. They definitely have better on bike performance than my old shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    I've had the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Elevate for a couple years and it seems to fit what you're looking for.
    How is the sizing on those? I can get a pair at a compelling price, but I have to guess on size.

All of my moto boots are 42, my ski boots are all 26.5 (well, aside from 25.5 race boots that needed a lot of grinding), so I'd think 42--but my Specialized road shoes are 44, and those were shop-fit by someone who took one look at my foot and said, "you are not a 42."

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

I just bought some x-alp elevate. Size 47 same as all my other bike shoes. These are a bit shorter in the big toe due to the rounded shape but wider than my wide Shimanos similar to my giro hvs. Last set of specialized I had was a few years back but I would say a bit smaller all around in the same size.

20 miles and 3,500 feet today. Some HAB. As my feet got used to the shoes they felt better and better. When HAB there is major heel lift, but they made the back heel area out of something soft/slippery so no blister issues with thin Switfwick socks. They definitely have better on bike performance than my old shoes.
    Did you flip the ride/walk lever?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

What are people wearing for clippy shoes in the PNWet?

IE- something that can handle the wet and mud, but not a full on winter boot... Not a sponge or colander, but also not a sweatbox?

All these threads about going from clips to flats have me interested in the opposite conversion... trying clips for the first time in a decade....

I’ll buy some XT Trails. I was leaning towards the PI XAlp Elevates for shoes but reviews call them leaky?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    What are people wearing for clippy shoes in the PNWet?

IE- something that can handle the wet and mud, but not a full on winter boot... Not a sponge or colander, but also not a sweatbox?

All these threads about going from clips to flats have me interested in the opposite conversion... trying clips for the first time in a decade....

I’ll buy some XT Trails. I was leaning towards the PI XAlp Elevates for shoes but reviews call them leaky?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I don't have a specific answer for you, but my experience is that it doesn't matter how waterproof your shoes are - if it's legitimately wet out, your feet will get wet. Waterproof shoes are great for minor, occasional splashes, but if you're hitting puddles constantly, nothing is going to keep you dry. I'd rather have a shoe that vents well and dries quickly.