Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I dont have the time (or inclination to find the time) to play enough to get good, so while I like the idea of golf, the truth is it just ends up boring the shit out of me.

Whenever I play I find myself somewhere around the 9th or 10th hole wishing I was doing something (anything) else. I mean, if it's a nice day, I'd rather be on the bike for a few hours.

That said, my daughters are getting interested in it and we live near a few courses with kids programs so I fear I'll be dragged back into it this summer.

If I could play often enough to not suck and only had to play 12 or 13 holes I'd take up golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Florida seems pretty ideal for boating and fishing ???

I got re-attached to golf by spending a few summertimes in rural redneck towns in the West (where there wasn't uch good dry fly fishing nearby) that have empty cheap courses where you can almost always walk right on and play a sub-90 minute 9 holes. if you are willing to play mid-day in the summer i bet you can pull that off in Florida. if you have many friends that play, maybe you won't care about this aspect?
    Mid day in the summer in Florida is for drinking. But, then again, it's golf we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    If I could play often enough to not suck and only had to play 12 or 13 holes I'd take up golf.
    This. Walking a 9 hole executive course with a 6 club bag sounds like the ideal way to play golf to me...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'm really disappointed in you guys. Second page already and not one mention of Lacy Underall-types...

As mentioned earlier, par-3 course is best bet for testing the waters.

Great solo mental game, IMO. Never really liked pairing with groups but kinda necessary when at a popular/hard to book course. Skip the weekend crowds. I fly solo with a cart when I can, and pass through groups ahead, esp the old and/or slow guys that are walking.
    Last edited by Jax; 05-08-2021 at 11:40 AM.

I used to get my youngest son a membership for the straight A's and I played with him on a visit, I was impressed with his respect for the game and i realized i don't have any respect for the game

i don't think he plays anymore

it would be real easy to join the local golf club, its real close and they would welcome me cuz they could use another 100 members
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

one thing i did glean from my short golfing tenure was a newfound appreciation for the tour. used to never be able to sit through more than a few minutes of coverage but i can now watch a round in amazement.
    swing your fucking sword.

Closest course is what is referred to as a "workingman's course", lot of pickups in the afternoon parking lot. It is an entertaining 18 holes. They also have a 9 hole par 3 that I walk with a 7I a wedge and a putter that is usually uncrowded enough that you can easily play 18 & pay for 9. Great way to disconnect for a few hrs.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Nine holes is perfect for me. Can't really stay focused for eighteen. I like to play our local public course when the evening rate kicks in and I can play nine holes solo for $22. I like to play golf the same way I like to ski--alone.

The tease of golf is that no matter how bad you are you will hit the occasional great shot out of dumb luck, and that keeps you thinking you can do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    This. Walking a 9 hole executive course with a 6 club bag sounds like the ideal way to play golf to me...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I walk regulation courses w a 6 club bag early and late season. Did it last year at my new place all season...too hilly for pull carts and no caddies - riding effs w my game.

Playing w only 6 clubs teaches creativity and feel. Sometimes boredom strikes when you get tired of hitting your "stock" shot the same distance and trajectory all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The tease of golf is that no matter how bad you are you will hit the occasional great shot out of dumb luck, and that keeps you thinking you can do it again.
    oh my god, this. i even had a couple good rounds.
    swing your fucking sword.

not sure whether this should be here, or in the What's The Best Way To Tell Others You Suck? thread, but I always thought it was a good round if I hit under 100.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

golf is a nice walk ruined

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    not sure whether this should be here, or in the What's The Best Way To Tell Others You Suck? thread, but I always thought it was a good round if I hit under 100.
    Depends if you were playing by all the rules. 100 is +-double bogey golf and many never get close to that.

Single Carts have made playing a lot more fun. I typically would rather walk than share. Lots of young hipsters out there these days. It’s good to see but crowded now.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    golf is a nice walk ruined
    It doesn’t have to be. There are some beautiful courses to walk. It’s a walk with something to do.

Another course nearby has these 2 wheeled rigs you strap you bag onto and ride like an e-bike except with maybe 22" real fat tires.

That would make my game suffer.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    I walk regulation courses w a 6 club bag early and late season. Did it last year at my new place all season...too hilly for pull carts and no caddies - riding effs w my game.

Playing w only 6 clubs teaches creativity and feel. Sometimes boredom strikes when you get tired of hitting your "stock" shot the same distance and trajectory all the time.
    Golf Digest did a thing once where they took half the clubs out of some folks' bags and scores improved considerably playing with the other half.
    I always thought it was funny playing with a bunch of hackers and people would be trying to figure which side of the fairway or green to shoot for. When it was really more a question of which fairway or which green.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Depends if you were playing by all the rules. 100 is +-double bogey golf and many never get close to that.
    Rules, I don't need no stinkin' rules. Before I quit I had stopped keeping score and found I enjoyed the game more. I always played with found balls--I had buckets of them--so I rarely spent more than half a minute looking for a ball, just dropped one in the general vicinity instead of going back to where the lost ball was hit from. (Great way to piss off the people behind you.) I did get annoyed when people I was playing with kept my score, especially people I didn't know. Also, when I hit a "fade" or "draw" (read slice or hook) I didn't like people talking to my ball. If my ball needs talking to I'll do the talking.

One way I particularly enjoyed playing was everyone dropping their ball where the best shot in the group landed. Recreational players should play that way more often. Why try to hit a shot from the rocks, dirt and bushes with trees in the way if you can't hit a decent shot from the fairway. I think people would improve faster. Save the rules for competitive play.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    snip....

One way I particularly enjoyed playing was everyone dropping their ball where the best shot in the group landed. Recreational players should play that way more often. Why try to hit a shot from the rocks, dirt and bushes with trees in the way if you can't hit a decent shot from the fairway. I think people would improve faster. Save the rules for competitive play.

That is what's known as a scramble; it's a game played at business or charity outings, typically involving once or twice a year players. It makes for a very slow round. Though if you have a strong player in the foursome it's fun hitting a 2nd shot from 280 yd drive if you don't hit the ball that far which I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    one thing i did glean from my short golfing tenure was a newfound appreciation for the tour. used to never be able to sit through more than a few minutes of coverage but i can now watch a round in amazement.
    Yeah, before i started playing I would be going through the channels and see golf on and wonder who TF was watching that stupid shit. Then I played and can appreciate how tough it is to hit good shots. Now i enjoy watching it.

same people ^^ who watch baseball

Golf when you're dead.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Yeah, before i started playing I would be going through the channels and see golf on and wonder who TF was watching that stupid shit. Then I played and can appreciate how tough it is to hit good shots. Now i enjoy watching it.

I watch the Golf channel when I'm WFH because it's generally nice to listen to while working, Birds in the background, commentators not yelling at me like the news or CNBC, and the ads are not too annoying. I have no idea what is going on but it's pleasant background noise.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    I have no idea what is going on but it's pleasant background noise.
    TGR forumz instead for me. I wish fastfred would stop by and brighten my day today.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang