Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mac and cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Risotto
    I don’t understand why risotto is lauded as some difficult/impressive dish to cook.... to me it’s more forgiving and simple than most recipes....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Just takes patience.

honestly pulled pork is pretty terrible if you fuck it up a lil.
    swing your fucking sword.

Dishes/foods that are amazing when done right but horrendous when not

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    How is it nerve wracking? Wireless thermometer and wait until it's done. (I like it at 197 in the thickest part. Texas crutch in the oven when it stalls.)
    I usually pull at 203. Paper wrap at hour 5.

Taking meat 35 degrees beyond well done is an odd concept for novices, and brisket goes from moist to dry very quickly. That sucks after ~15 hours of cooking and resting.

Pork is so much more forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I don’t understand why risotto is lauded as some difficult/impressive dish to cook.... to me it’s more forgiving and simple than most recipes....

Too many people make risotto the wrong way and add a lot of cream. Tastes like shit to me. If you know how to do it right, multiple additions of broth and cook it down each time then yes, that's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Too many people make risotto the wrong way and add a lot of cream. Tastes like shit to me. If you know how to do it right, multiple additions of broth and cook it down each time then yes, that's easy.
    Most people don't like to stand at the stove stirring, especially if there's a lot of other stuff to do. Having someone in the kitchen to chat with helps. Having someone else in the kitchen to do other stuff helps more. Cream?

There is zero cream in Risotto.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    There is zero cream in Risotto.

No, half and half could be added at the end, if desired. Certainly butter.

Risotto is impossible to fuck up if you are paying attention but yeah, it takes forever.

But Seriouseats has pressure cooker risotto recipes that work well and are incredibly easy.

For example, this one sounds sort of odd but it fuckin slaps hard: Vegan Pressure-Cooker Miso Risotto Recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/pressure...risotto-recipe

Most people don't like to stand at the stove stirring, especially if there's a lot of other stuff to do. Having someone in the kitchen to chat with helps. Having someone else in the kitchen to do other stuff helps more. Cream?
    Best excuse for an island stove with stools all around. And lots of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    seriouseats has pressure cooker risotto recipes that work well and are incredibly easy.

For example, this one sounds sort of odd but it fuckin slaps: Vegan Pressure-Cooker Miso Risotto Recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/pressure...risotto-recipe
    Italians cry.

Risotto is impossible to fuck up if you are paying attention but yeah, it takes forever.

But Seriouseats has pressure cooker risotto recipes that work well and are incredibly easy.

For example, this one sounds sort of odd but it fuckin slaps hard: Vegan Pressure-Cooker Miso Risotto Recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/pressure...risotto-recipe
    That’s not risotto. 2:1 stock to rice? Risotto needs five to six cups of stock per cup of rice. It’s supposed to be like porridge not pilaf. That recipe might be good, it’s not risotto

It comes out the consistency of regular risotto, which I have made a million times. Think about, there is almost zero evaporation, whereas on the stove, the stock is evaporating constantly.

It comes out the consistency of regular risotto, which I have made a million times. Think about, there is almost zero evaporation, whereas on the stove, the stock is evaporating constantly.
    The evaporation is what makes it, you’re concentrating the flavor of the stock. That’s why you need to add miso in that recipe. No thanks, sauce pan and a ladle are fine, I’m in no rush

I never understood the love for risotto, always seemed like slightly fancy rice.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Anything with duck.
    Truth. When it's done right it's amazeballs, but when done wrong it's inedible.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Maybe you never had good risotto? Bad risotto is just fancy rice. Still edible, just nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I never understood the love for risotto, always seemed like slightly fancy rice.

Truth. When it's done right it's amazeballs, but when done wrong it's inedible.
    I guess you’ve never had good risotto? When prepared with patience it’s great. I made some this week with mushroom and chicken stock, wild mushrooms, peas and Gorgonzola. It was great. When served it should ooze on your plate like porridge. The Italians call that “la onda” the wave.

Yup... chanterelle or morel risotto with good stock is a fave.

Hah! Leave a half eaten plate of cold, soggy, reconstituted hospital cafeteria baked french fries in an operating room lounge and they'll be gone in 30 minutes, at the outside. So you can't ruin french fries, at least not in a hospital.
    MD buddy told us cuz you never know when or where the next meal might happen so he learned to eat fast and never lost the habit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have had what others have called great risotto. And it tasted good, don't get me wrong. But it was just fancy rice porridge. Just isn't my thing.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

There could be a whole separate thread of food people told me was great but they didn’t know what the fuck they were talking about.

I tend to think Italian recipes are hard to execute great, but not hard to execute mediocre to good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Chili relleno.
    Now which one is better, thin or puffy wrapped?

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Chili relleno.

CR made w canned chile or green peppers is a fail.

Breaking news: everyone is supposed to love all the things I think are great! Film at 11.

I mean, FFS, there are people in this world who don't like bacon (BACON!!!) and you guys feel like if I am not crazy about rice porridge, it must be because I haven't had really well made rice porridge.