Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    My fish had a baby!!! (Middle left of pic)

Attachment 373605

And yes. The tank is a bit of a mess atm. Did I mention fertilizer for the plants? It’s no biggie but algae will take over when your lights/nutrients are out of balance.

Rasporas!

I forgot... I also had Loaches but my Raphael Catfish kept eating them - he was an aggressive son of a bitch. Ended up taking him back to the store because I liked my loaches better. Damn thing barked at me when I netted him.

Dwarf Chain Loach (Botia) This is a great bottom swimming fish:

Stripped Raphael

Re plants: I always had good luck with Banana plants

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    So the boy wants a fish tank for his birthday. I used to keep tanks all the time growing up (cichlids and oscars and the like), but it's been forever since I've had one and I'm sure stuff has changed.

Yeah, I could google this or go spend time at the fish shop and end up spending a ton for something that may be a dud once my kid realizes that there's actual work to keeping a tank; so I'd rather ask you experts. (TR, do we have a fish tank expert or is AKPM just the general fish expert?)

I'd like this to be easy to set up (read: fast), enjoyable for the kid, and not filled with lame fish. 10 gal seems like a decent starting point, and I'd really not like to go huge given this is a case of first impression.

I'm open to any and all advice. Thanks.
    I ended up going the 10 gallon route and my kids never took to it. The fish bug can bite hard. My bro ended up having to brace his floor as his saltwater setup was too heavy. He had a decent size shark at one point, but the octopus were amazing.

More than once we'd start a "community" tank, get a few Tiger Barbs and all of a sudden your breeding Snakeheads. What good times.

Cheaper option:

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    I ended up going the 10 gallon route and my kids never took to it. The fish bug can bite hard. My bro ended up having to brace his floor as his saltwater setup was too heavy. He had a decent size shark at one point, but the octopus were amazing.

More than once we'd start a "community" tank, get a few Tiger Barbs and all of a sudden your breeding Snakeheads. What good times.
    When I was a kid I had neighbors who were divers and had an AMAZING saltwater tank with all kinds of PNW fish and octopi.

Tiger barbs - YES! Had some regular and green ones. Loved them esp. the way they dart about in group. They get the zoomies which is another good reason for a bigger tank - you're fish can move more. Gosh... forgot about all the fish I had.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

How about an iPad and an app taped to a box?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Starter Fish Tank

^ neat!

The variety of fishes is just amazing. I see a cucumber I think in there, I had som otto cats that loved zucchini and cucumbers.

Fluval spec 16 gallon despite my warnings against the all in one might be something to look at. Hard to find a stand maybe. I have the “V” and it’s not in use because it’s small but it’s a nice system and I just saw they have a 16 gal that’s new. Might be worth checking out. The way it’s designed you don’t have to buy their “filter cartridges” and such. Not sure if the light can be dimmed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What about salmon or tilapia? At least when the kid (and you) get tired of them and decide to shut the operation down, you'll have dinner.
    Let me pm AKPM about th e most kid friendly salmonoid. I feel like it's a Sockeye, but it's better to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Try local fish. I had a smallmouth (named Biggie) all through college that was a bad ass. A bluegill would be cool too.
    In college we ended up combining one community tank with another that had a small bluegill that was plucked from a river due to a freak beer incident involving the bluegill's tank. It had an Oscar that would eat out of your hands named Stumpy for his gimp pectoral fin, a mean red -bellied Pirhana, Squeegee,the bluegill and a few convict cichlids. They all lived too. So long as we keep the tank stocked with feeders.

What about a sturgeon? For the eggs.
    tank

Now we're talking.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I'm kind of disappointed we've only gotten up to 75 gallons so far.
    Right?

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Cheaper option:

That's delicious and makes a great gift.

Thanks for all the recs Mags/Magettes, given me a lot to consider.

Oh and can't go dry terrarium just yet, we had a run of lizard incidents growing up that this sweet boy and the lady aren't ready for.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    How about an iPad and an app taped to a box?
    We found out the "extras" on the Finding Nemo movie is a variety of very soothing aquarium scenes in a loop with sounds. I floated this idea as an alternative but the kid wants to learn responsibility or some such shit.

I floated this idea as an alternative but the kid wants to learn responsibility or some such shit.
    Condolences.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Too late to suggest a dry terrarium?
    funneh

the kid wants to learn responsibility or some such shit.
    Overrated.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Was over at friends house last night and they have a lot of fish tanks. One tank in their living room that’s at least 100 gal, a 75 gal tank in his son’s room, four downstairs with fish are at least 75 gallon, and in another room, 6 smaller tanks for quarantine and breeding fishies. He keeps trying to get me to start one, but it’s just easier to look at the ones at their house.

They are beautiful tanks with a lot of variety. The upstairs one has a beautiful discus that likes to watch people.

We found out the "extras" on the Finding Nemo movie is a variety of very soothing aquarium scenes in a loop with sounds. I floated this idea as an alternative but the kid wants to learn responsibility or some such shit.
    Like Harry said.

What about a family pass to the Atlanta aquarium? That place is banging.

When my son was younger we had a pass to the Bronx Zoo. We'd go there 5x a year. Kid loved it.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Like Harry said.

What about a family pass to the Atlanta aquarium? That place is banging.

When my son was younger we had a pass to the Bronx Zoo. We'd go there 5x a year. Kid loved it.
    When his cousins came into town for Easter we took them all to the Georgia Aquarium (biggest in the world, yo!) and he spent a ton of time in front of the 40 foot glass wall of the ocean voyager exhibit with all the fish, turtles and the 4 whale sharks and I think that got him asking about having one.

I know in the end a season pass will undoubtedly be easier, cleaner and not end up being mine but we’ll see I guess. Off to the fish store tonight...

Oh boy...good luck!

...and the 4 whale sharks and I think that got him asking about having one.
    You're gonna need a bigger tank for a whale shark my man.

There’s a pond in the neighborhood, I’ll see what temp it runs at.

Can you check for Utica club while your out in the neighborhood?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Why, is he getting an aquarium for upstate fish?

I believe that's a carp, no?

I did the UC search engine and the closest I can get it is Asheville.

Could be a nice drive thru the mountains with the boy. I hear it's beautiful there this time of year with the redbuds and dogwoods in bloom.

I can't wait to see what you get.

The North GA mountains on up through Highlands, NC on over to Asheville is a frequent stomping ground for weekend drives and hikes with the boy. I guess I should be thankful he's not asking for something motorized at this point.

Makes me think, an aquarium may be cheaper than trout fishing too. This is looking better by the moment.

The North GA mountains on up through Highlands, NC on over to Asheville is a frequent stomping ground for weekend drives and hikes with the boy. I guess I should be thankful he's not asking for something motorized at this point.
    come up to the gorge sometime. worth the drive.
    swing your fucking sword.

Don’t underestimate aquarium fishing.
    . . .

That’s why I messaged AKPM.