Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    State laws vary, but generally you are not eligible for unemployment benefits if you are fired for cause or quit willingly.
    Ha
    Hah hah hah
    Hah hah hah hah
    -stop it. You’re killing me
    . . .

didn't mean to go off the rails the other night, but I pay attention to this closely, I step back and watch everything that is going, I don't watch the news on tv or the internet cause it's all garbage, but I read multiple newspapers daily

I'm not rooting for a correction or a downfall either, but not dealing with the issues at hand or ignoring them is crazy
    if you read the wall street journal today, yellen started to get serious and sure enough she caught a bunch of flack and had to back track on her comments cause the powers that be thought she'd spook the markets

look at gas in 2006 and 2007 it was at 5 bucks a gallon. Why? sure enough the gov't started asking questions and hey they were just running the price up because the could

I get the lumber market report every week, yes they are filling only 50% of the orders, but that doesn't excuse the price. And yet I bought 10 sheets of oak ply today for 85 bucks each, while osb which is garbage chip wood is 45 each.

paint is screwed I can't even buy SW 200 paint right now, they won't let me, granted I don't buy that garbage, I use higher end paint. Electric boxes don't exist either. Pretty funny.

If your poor in this country inflation is real. As far as wages it's not pretty at all, I start a laborer at 18 an hr and that doesn't cut it anymore, I got some ex gang banger from denver who has what might be a 7th grade education and bunch of kids with no real skills but shows up every day with the best attitude and can do spirit he makes 25 an hr. WTF? I went from interviewing and looking for the best guys years ago and picking people to finding someone through a referal and selling them on why they need to work for me. I spent 20 mins today trying to sell someone on a job. Then he asks if I offer health insurance. Fuck? I had another guy quit, go do his winter ski job, called him to see if he'd come back this spring, he said no, then I get a notice of unemployment claim a couple days later from the state. Called my money guy and he filed the paper work online to deny the claim and he said he will probably get the unemployment because the state doesn't care about my claim that he has a job.

didn't mean to go off the rails the other night, but I pay attention to this closely,
    No worries, interesting to hear what is happening around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    what’s there to test? Unemployment and the unemployment rate in Montana is back where it was
    https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LASS...de_graphs=true

LFPR is down, but people receiving unemployment don’t count for pushing that down.
    That's why its kind of funny (not Hah hah funny though), right now our Governor and Legislature are fixing a lot of things that are not broken.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

My first thought was that Subway seems rather low-brow for Jackson these days.
    You should sit in the square and people watch some summer Saturday afternoon. It ain't the high end of the gene pool.

I find the story about warehousers making over $25/hr and quitting - to receive unemployment to be unbelievable. First, I don't think you are getting a claim unless something else is fucked up about the job or you are seasonal or a temp. Second, I don't believe this would ever happen en mass. I mean, who is paying for their health ins now? Sounds like bar talk bullshit from one squeaky wheel guy at best.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Heh, well the term pogey up here originated with the newfies, most often associated with layoffs around the fishing season, so maybe there was a connection?

Kinda funny, the BC govt rebranded it Employment Insurance several years ago. Seems some folk complained of the stigma associated with calling it Unemployment Insurance. Been almost 2decades since I applied for the dole, but I still remember the answers 'No, No, No, Yes, No' even if I can't remember the questions. Back when it was all submitted by paper, and not searchable against airline bookings.
    I've never been able to collect pogey/ UIC/ whatever the phuck its now called cuz I was always too respansible/ playing the long game

I didnt qualify for CERB or any of the pademic handouts either , i finaly got the last kickstarter or wtf it was called and used the $$$ to buy GF a Fat bike
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My first thought was that Subway seems rather low-brow for Jackson these days.
    The hoity-toity’s go to Wendy’s or MacDonald’s.
    The high school kids go to quizno’s.
    The park tourists go to Dairy Queen.
    I go to the Coach.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

real earners don’t work for money, see the stock market or bitcoin threads

we made work worthless a while back

Just had a supplier tell me they have been put on allocation for rolled steel. This is a very big commercial parts mfg. for the class 8 truck and trailer industry. Fricking nuts. Surcharges for this. Surcharges for that. Surcharges left and right. Yes, you will see it in the price you are paying for whatever you are buying these days. I guess invest in DOGE...Don't sit on those dollars they are becoming worth less and less.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The meh jobs report is just what the doctor ordered if you're trying to pass a $1T+ infrastructure plan.

^^^ Fucking Biden is a wily bastage.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Several red states are ending supplemental unemployment insurance so I guess we'll see if employment in those states goes up compared to the rest of the country.

The inflation thread

Safe to say the lockdowns and habits changing, the bullshit bailouts that went to the wrong people (especially the first one), the global supply chain, etc has had a monumental effect on the economy. It’s not over yet either. It’s like blowing the damn at the end of Force 10 from Navarone, it takes time.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Several red states are ending supplemental unemployment insurance so I guess we'll see if employment in those states goes up compared to the rest of the country.
    I think it likely will, because in most of those states businesses are fully reopened and need workers. In states that remain in some level of shutdown, benefits will likely continue to be needed by people who can't go back to work even if they want to.

But time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    I find the story about warehousers making over $25/hr and quitting - to receive unemployment to be unbelievable. First, I don't think you are getting a claim unless something else is fucked up about the job or you are seasonal or a temp. Second, I don't believe this would ever happen en mass. I mean, who is paying for their health ins now? Sounds like bar talk bullshit from one squeaky wheel guy at best.

Sounds like wishful thinking.

half of the population will gladly not work for even 60% of the same pay.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/09/inves...ead/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Sounds like wishful thinking.
    half of the population will gladly not work for even 60% of the same pay.
    ^you could count me in that 50% of the population who'd sit on their ass for 60% of their salary. but.... I live way under my $ needs and more importantly unemployment ends and not having health ins or having to pay out of pocket is expensive for the near term... then you gotta start over. So the efforts to restart, the gamble plus loss of $ for these low-earners sounds like a shit-deal. To be straight tho, warehouse workers and hourly wage earners are not really my circle - so maybe these are more like interchangeable, gig type work vs. a steady job.

The inflation thread

we need so few people to work at our current efficiencies, anything else is reaching for control. every job i’ve had in the last 10 years has had global reach and i’m far from worldly or skilled

the owning class is too greedy these days, not enough bread in this circus when nearly every RE market and natural resource is being capitalized by the top 5-10%

i’m all for burning it down, i don’t see why we give a fuck if we see corporations fail, that’s best case for this country in the long run as efficiencies were never returned through corporate scale and won’t be

i watch my mom make $15/hour in a city where you cannot exist on that wage. fuck any other classist math in this thread

Maybe in Seatown, right now we are short as hell on workers in Bozeman, too bad people cannot find a place to live to be able to work here.

If we get that efficient, sure, UBI for all that want it, but no credit to go further into debt they can never pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    we need so few people to work at our current efficiencies, anything else is reaching for control. every job i’ve had in the last 10 years has had global reach and i’m far from worldly or skilled

the owning class is too greedy these days, not enough bread in this circus when nearly every RE market and natural resource is being capitalized by the top 5-10%

i’m all for burning it down, i don’t see why we give a fuck if we see corporations fail, that’s best case for this country in the long run as efficiencies were never returned through corporate scale and won’t be

i watch my mom make $15/hour in a city where you cannot exist on that wage. fuck any other classist math in this thread
    Thomas Piketty, the academic French economist who wrote Capital in the 21st Century (an update of Das Kapital if you will) says that unless something is done about wealth and income disparities there will be revolution and I think he's right. Jan 6 was a misdirected opening shot. All it would take is someone with Trump's demagoguery skills and who wasn't a bumbling idiot. Bring back the guillotine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Maybe in Seatown, right now we are short as hell on workers in Bozeman, too bad people cannot find a place to live to be able to work here.
    It was like that in Truckee before the pandemic and I'm sure every expensive place in the country without affordable neighborhoods (ie slums) within a commute.

If we get that efficient, sure, UBI for all that want it, but no credit to go further into debt they can never pay off.
    are you speaking to luxury needs or something else? what problems are we trying to solve? i live in spokane and grew up there

man, sure sounds like that extended unemployment is screwing over Bozeman and Jackson/s

warehousing is like construction labor a young mans job. Shitty, hard on the body.

Going OT but, if there ever comes a time when there isn't sufficient demand for labor then support will have to come from somewhere, otherwise its torches and pitchforks and revolution.

If its just people who would prefer to stay home and play video games and get stoned, sorry. You can have a subsistence stipend to eat and keep a roof over your head but society will not be buying you a new Gameboy and if you want one, pay cash.

man, sure sounds like that extended unemployment is screwing over Bozeman and Jackson/s
    Nope, nothing to do with it here, we are at pre-pandemic employment rates and still can't fill all the slots. If you are a skilled carpenter or equipment operator you can bargain hard.

warehousing is like construction labor a young mans job. Shitty, hard on the body.
    Well yeah, only so much a body is capable of, better have a plan to use your brain at some point. And most jobs suck or have tradeoffs.

Our Governor just ended Federal UIC benefits. See what happens next.

Going OT but, if there ever comes a time when there isn't sufficient demand for labor then support will have to come from somewhere, otherwise its torches and pitchforks and revolution.

If its just people who would prefer to stay home and play video games and get stoned, sorry. You can have a subsistence stipend to eat and keep a roof over your head but society will not be buying you a new Gameboy and if you want one, pay cash.

Nope, nothing to do with it here, we are at pre-pandemic employment rates and still can't fill all the slots. If you are a skilled carpenter or equipment operator you can bargain hard.

Well yeah, only so much a body is capable of, better have a plan to use your brain at some point. And most jobs suck or have tradeoffs.

Our Governor just ended Federal UIC benefits. See what happens next.
    Capitalists might be scheming how they could establish man camps, pay top dollar and bring in outside labor.

Montana max UI = $487/week + 300 federal is still under $20 an hour. Without is $12 an hour.

Obviously UI can’t possibly be suppressing people taking on well paying construction jobs in a town where you can’t even find a place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Capitalists might be scheming how they could establish man camps, pay top dollar and bring in outside labor.

Montana max UI = $487/week + 300 federal is still under $20 an hour. Without is $12 an hour.

Obviously UI can’t possibly be suppressing people taking on well paying construction jobs in a town where you can’t even find a place to live.
    Hmmm. Yeah No.

Shrooms mom works for $15.
    And she could make more on unemployment.

Ain’t that america. Something to see.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Hmmm. Yeah No.

Shrooms mom works for $15.
    And she could make more on unemployment.

Ain’t that america. Something to see.
    I’m talking about Bozeman.

The fucked up thing is people being paid $15/hr and other people thinking they are making out like fat cats.