Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The inflation thread

High single digit price increases by some of the largest companies in the world

https://news.yahoo.com/warren-buffet...220539307.html

My dad could get a 40ft container from Shenzhen to western NC for $3,400 this time last year. It is now $12,000.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Polyass in 3 2 1

The creature from Jekyll island rears its head.

Fuck the bankers.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Polyass in 3 2 1

The creature from Jekyll island rears its head.

Fuck the bankers.
    Doesn't have to happen if people relax and discuss.

Back in late January I had a tel-conference with my financial planner and one subject I brought up as a concern was inflation. I was assured that wasn't a problem and my BS meter pegged.

3 stimulus checks along with strangulated demand, lots of people sitting on cash and lack of spending? As we get back to normal this had to happen.

Will Powell be able to pump the brakes on inflation? How best to go about it?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Go full tinfoil

The US dollar hegemony has allowed us to export our inflation.
    But is that ending?
    By design perhaps? SDR? Print so many dollars the USD implodes? New world currency order?

Hard assets are the safety net. Hard assets e.g. real estate is off the hook. Metals? Should be higher. Compare paper silver to physical. Insane. Crypto? Similar rush to “safety”
    . . .

We need another crash.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    My dad could get a 40ft container from Shenzhen to western NC for $3,400 this time last year. It is now $12,000.

Pretty sure $12k is more normal than $3,400. Inflation has been here for years, the BLS and the FED just massage the numbers so as to not freak out the sheeple. If you pay for things it is obvious. As far as needing a crash, nope, no thanks. Just keep kicking that can please.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

ok here is my rant

we are fucked

inflation is out of control but we are being manipulated and we are being bullshitted
    by late 2022 or by spring of 2023 the shit will hit the fan and it will catch up with us hard just like 2008 and every other bust prior

we now have another one term president who is asleep at the wheel and just went from another one term president that was injected into our daily lives constantly wtf?

the amount of "free" and "cheap" money running around is bad, real bad, I just got a nice little hand writtten note from my bank begging me to take out a home equity loan WTF? I don't need it, but other people who don't need it think it's great and are taking it cause they can buy shit that makes them happy. what a country where buying shit sooths the emptiness inside, hey don't get me wrong I went and bought a 65k van, but hey I got the money not the credit. People are taking all this free money and running up the tab just like 2007 same shit, it all feels good looks good right now, but at some point you gotta pay for it

the gov't has been running up the deficit at a rate never seen before have you seen one poltician or buracrap talking about paying it down? Nope? Thanks boomers for being the most selfish mother fuckers out there, at least your parents the so called "greatest generation" new how to pay taxes and build highways and throw down for all kinds of other great public works projects

We quashed all the political and social unrest thanks to the internet, people are so buried deep in the internet they aren't really aware of what is going on

The fake wall street is some sort of bariometer of how great society is doing, but it's not, most of this country is fucked by the wall street not enriched by it, as soon as interest rates climb alot of these companies who a neck deep in debt will be struggling.

No one wants to solve real problems like failing infistructure, bad highways, shitty for profit medical care, and shitty education, lack of teaching trades to kids, cause college is what it's all about to feed the machine right? At some point massive change is needed in this country, but we are too scared and too many people are making too much money so why change?

Take a sheet of 1/2 osb, it was 15 bucks a year ago, it's 45 bucks today? The tree isn't charging any more money, the worker isn't getting that much more an hour, transportation costs are up but not by thousands. So how do you justify a 30 dollar more charge? It's greed the spineless politicians in washington aren't asking the hard questions because people are profiting and that's ok. Right? Some one needs to put the commodiities dealers and companies like seirria pascific, the koch family, and lousiana pasific up front and start asking them questions as to how a piece of materials can cost that much money. And those tarrfis? american business men love them.

FKNA Fred. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ok here is my rant

we are fucked

inflation is out of control but we are being manipulated and we are being bullshitted
    by late 2022 or by spring of 2023 the shit will hit the fan and it will catch up with us hard just like 2008 and every other bust prior

we now have another one term president who is asleep at the wheel and just went from another one term president that was injected into our daily lives constantly wtf?

the amount of "free" and "cheap" money running around is bad, real bad, I just got a nice little hand writtten note from my bank begging me to take out a home equity loan WTF? I don't need it, but other people who don't need it think it's great and are taking it cause they can buy shit that makes them happy. what a country where buying shit sooths the emptiness inside, hey don't get me wrong I went and bought a 65k van, but hey I got the money not the credit. People are taking all this free money and running up the tab just like 2007 same shit, it all feels good looks good right now, but at some point you gotta pay for it

the gov't has been running up the deficit at a rate never seen before have you seen one poltician or buracrap talking about paying it down? Nope? Thanks boomers for being the most selfish mother fuckers out there, at least your parents the so called "greatest generation" new how to pay taxes and build highways and throw down for all kinds of other great public works projects

We quashed all the political and social unrest thanks to the internet, people are so buried deep in the internet they aren't really aware of what is going on

The fake wall street is some sort of bariometer of how great society is doing, but it's not, most of this country is fucked by the wall street not enriched by it, as soon as interest rates climb alot of these companies who a neck deep in debt will be struggling.

No one wants to solve real problems like failing infistructure, bad highways, shitty for profit medical care, and shitty education, lack of teaching trades to kids, cause college is what it's all about to feed the machine right? At some point massive change is needed in this country, but we are too scared and too many people are making too much money so why change?

Take a sheet of 1/2 osb, it was 15 bucks a year ago, it's 45 bucks today? The tree isn't charging any more money, the worker isn't getting that much more an hour, transportation costs are up but not by thousands. So how do you justify a 30 dollar more charge? It's greed the spineless politicians in washington aren't asking the hard questions because people are profiting and that's ok. Right? Some one needs to put the commodiities dealers and companies like seirria pascific, the koch family, and lousiana pasific up front and start asking them questions as to how a piece of materials can cost that much money. And those tarrfis? american business men love them.
    You're more right than wrong. 340% YoY lumber price increase https://www.businessinsider.com/lumb...uilders-2021-5

The question is how long can the feds pretend massive increases aren't happening to commodities across the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    We need another crash.
    It's coming.
    That's the most coherent thing Fred has ever posted, and possibly the only one I mostly agree with.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Pretty sure $12k is more normal than $3,400. Inflation has been here for years, the BLS and the FED just massage the numbers so as to not freak out the sheeple. If you pay for things it is obvious. As far as needing a crash, nope, no thanks. Just keep kicking that can please.
    Nope, a little over a year ago it was $2k or so to get a can here from Taiwan and now it's $10-12k. It used to be you'd order it on Monday and have it delivered Tuesday, filled and picked up Wednesday then on a boat by the weekend. Now you order for delivery 12 months out. I work with companies that are paying extortion fees of a couple of thousand dollars a day to keep their containers on the dock so they can eventually get on a boat rather than sent back. Getting space on a boat is another thing entirely even if you're willing to pay the 12k. One of my companies currently has 46 containers filled and they're somewhere between the factory and never never land, we have no inventory left here in North America and no way to nail down when stuff might arrive. The whole thing sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ok here is my rant

we are fucked

Quality rant, Fred. We are EFFED. And no politician (on either side) has the balls to call it out so boldly because they're all too afraid to be the pin that pops that balloon. So they'll just keep kicking the can down the road, PRAYING it keeps going juuuuuust long enough so it's the next guy's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    You're more right than wrong. 340% YoY lumber price increase https://www.businessinsider.com/lumb...uilders-2021-5

The question is how long can the feds pretend massive increases aren't happening to commodities across the boards.
    Ahem...its "transitory"

Our friends siding quote tripled on them between quote last fall and when everything had to be ordered in March. We built out our basement and 2x4s that were 2 bucks a few months back are 10 bucks each now.

My neighbor owns a car dealership and keeps laughing his ass off at the used car market pricing. He can't keep new cars on the lot.

I doubt semiconductor prices ever come down, as this market is showing what people are really willing to pay.

There is alot of money out there and the only thing not changing seems to be salaries...

As long as the American worker, blue or white collared, is competing with 6 billion others off shore, there will be no significant inflation.

The last time we had inflation bad enough to bring on 20% interest rates, unions were leapfrogging each other with wage and benefit concessions from major corporations. Now we have no unions and zero interest rates, with a Fed chairman saying, eh, no whoop, every few months.

The crazy thing about lumber prices is that there were no supply side issues causing the price increases. Most lumber is domestic and mills were deemed essential. The lumber price increase is just pure demand and greed...

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Fuel surcharges implemented during the last price hike never went away. Maybe the same surcharge model permanently works its way into other products and services.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The crazy thing about lumber prices is that there were no supply side issues causing the price increases. Most lumber is domestic and mills were deemed essential. The lumber price increase is just pure Tariffs and greed...

fify.

The crazy thing about lumber prices is that there were no supply side issues causing the price increases. Most lumber is domestic and mills were deemed essential. The lumber price increase is just pure demand and greed...

My understanding based on reporting is that demand is significantly outstripping supply in the US lumber market.

The inflation thread

There are actually supply side issues for engineered lumber.
    Glue availability has fucked up OSB, plywood and glulam (& other types) production. Less frequently used sizes/types are just unavailable; mfrs just bailed on those to make the popular items. Large builders have stocked up on availability too which has further fucked .with supply and pricing

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Nope, a little over a year ago it was $2k or so to get a can here from Taiwan and now it's $10-12k. It used to be you'd order it on Monday and have it delivered Tuesday, filled and picked up Wednesday then on a boat by the weekend. Now you order for delivery 12 months out. I work with companies that are paying extortion fees of a couple of thousand dollars a day to keep their containers on the dock so they can eventually get on a boat rather than sent back. Getting space on a boat is another thing entirely even if you're willing to pay the 12k. One of my companies currently has 46 containers filled and they're somewhere between the factory and never never land, we have no inventory left here in North America and no way to nail down when stuff might arrive. The whole thing sucks.
    1)Great Rant by Fred
    2)Good thread - lets not cunt it up
    3)Gravity - just curious - what are you bringing in? (dont want/need specifics) - Just more for curiosity....

Don’t forget the Canada tariff.

Finishing a sidewall project. Red cedar shingles at $240 a bundle. And I can’t even get them.
    . . .

To the Moon Alice...

Name:  Screenshot 2021-05-04 070610.png
Views: 1039
Size:  215.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Nice Fred. 100% agree.

I'm guessing Powell won't raise rates until it gets closer to the next election. Just a hunch.

And whatabout the stimmies? Better get another one out soon lest the spigot dries.

12-18 months, tops. I'm waiting.

log prices still cheap
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...om-cheap-trees

As long as homeowners are going to be swarming to home despot to build shit projects, retail prices are up.