Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 242
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10,595

    The inflation thread

    High single digit price increases by some of the largest companies in the world

    https://news.yahoo.com/warren-buffet...220539307.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    20 years too late
    Posts
    3,835
    My dad could get a 40ft container from Shenzhen to western NC for $3,400 this time last year. It is now $12,000.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "With Hitler, the more I learn about the guy, the more I don't care for him." -Norm Macdonald

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    14,494
    Polyass in 3 2 1

    The creature from Jekyll island rears its head.

    Fuck the bankers.
    “I’m a subhuman jizz monkey”

    Thx mods. It’s an awesome signature.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    17,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Polyass in 3 2 1

    The creature from Jekyll island rears its head.

    Fuck the bankers.
    Doesn't have to happen if people relax and discuss.

    Back in late January I had a tel-conference with my financial planner and one subject I brought up as a concern was inflation. I was assured that wasn't a problem and my BS meter pegged.

    3 stimulus checks along with strangulated demand, lots of people sitting on cash and lack of spending? As we get back to normal this had to happen.

    Will Powell be able to pump the brakes on inflation? How best to go about it?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    14,494
    Go full tinfoil

    The US dollar hegemony has allowed us to export our inflation.
    But is that ending?
    By design perhaps? SDR? Print so many dollars the USD implodes? New world currency order?

    Hard assets are the safety net. Hard assets e.g. real estate is off the hook. Metals? Should be higher. Compare paper silver to physical. Insane. Crypto? Similar rush to “safety”
    “I’m a subhuman jizz monkey”

    Thx mods. It’s an awesome signature.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    4,737
    We need another crash.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    16,313
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    My dad could get a 40ft container from Shenzhen to western NC for $3,400 this time last year. It is now $12,000.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Pretty sure $12k is more normal than $3,400. Inflation has been here for years, the BLS and the FED just massage the numbers so as to not freak out the sheeple. If you pay for things it is obvious. As far as needing a crash, nope, no thanks. Just keep kicking that can please.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    3,021
    ok here is my rant

    we are fucked

    inflation is out of control but we are being manipulated and we are being bullshitted
    by late 2022 or by spring of 2023 the shit will hit the fan and it will catch up with us hard just like 2008 and every other bust prior

    we now have another one term president who is asleep at the wheel and just went from another one term president that was injected into our daily lives constantly wtf?

    the amount of "free" and "cheap" money running around is bad, real bad, I just got a nice little hand writtten note from my bank begging me to take out a home equity loan WTF? I don't need it, but other people who don't need it think it's great and are taking it cause they can buy shit that makes them happy. what a country where buying shit sooths the emptiness inside, hey don't get me wrong I went and bought a 65k van, but hey I got the money not the credit. People are taking all this free money and running up the tab just like 2007 same shit, it all feels good looks good right now, but at some point you gotta pay for it

    the gov't has been running up the deficit at a rate never seen before have you seen one poltician or buracrap talking about paying it down? Nope? Thanks boomers for being the most selfish mother fuckers out there, at least your parents the so called "greatest generation" new how to pay taxes and build highways and throw down for all kinds of other great public works projects

    We quashed all the political and social unrest thanks to the internet, people are so buried deep in the internet they aren't really aware of what is going on

    The fake wall street is some sort of bariometer of how great society is doing, but it's not, most of this country is fucked by the wall street not enriched by it, as soon as interest rates climb alot of these companies who a neck deep in debt will be struggling.

    No one wants to solve real problems like failing infistructure, bad highways, shitty for profit medical care, and shitty education, lack of teaching trades to kids, cause college is what it's all about to feed the machine right? At some point massive change is needed in this country, but we are too scared and too many people are making too much money so why change?

    Take a sheet of 1/2 osb, it was 15 bucks a year ago, it's 45 bucks today? The tree isn't charging any more money, the worker isn't getting that much more an hour, transportation costs are up but not by thousands. So how do you justify a 30 dollar more charge? It's greed the spineless politicians in washington aren't asking the hard questions because people are profiting and that's ok. Right? Some one needs to put the commodiities dealers and companies like seirria pascific, the koch family, and lousiana pasific up front and start asking them questions as to how a piece of materials can cost that much money. And those tarrfis? american business men love them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,654
    FKNA Fred. Well done.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10,595
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ok here is my rant

    we are fucked

    inflation is out of control but we are being manipulated and we are being bullshitted
    by late 2022 or by spring of 2023 the shit will hit the fan and it will catch up with us hard just like 2008 and every other bust prior

    we now have another one term president who is asleep at the wheel and just went from another one term president that was injected into our daily lives constantly wtf?

    the amount of "free" and "cheap" money running around is bad, real bad, I just got a nice little hand writtten note from my bank begging me to take out a home equity loan WTF? I don't need it, but other people who don't need it think it's great and are taking it cause they can buy shit that makes them happy. what a country where buying shit sooths the emptiness inside, hey don't get me wrong I went and bought a 65k van, but hey I got the money not the credit. People are taking all this free money and running up the tab just like 2007 same shit, it all feels good looks good right now, but at some point you gotta pay for it

    the gov't has been running up the deficit at a rate never seen before have you seen one poltician or buracrap talking about paying it down? Nope? Thanks boomers for being the most selfish mother fuckers out there, at least your parents the so called "greatest generation" new how to pay taxes and build highways and throw down for all kinds of other great public works projects

    We quashed all the political and social unrest thanks to the internet, people are so buried deep in the internet they aren't really aware of what is going on

    The fake wall street is some sort of bariometer of how great society is doing, but it's not, most of this country is fucked by the wall street not enriched by it, as soon as interest rates climb alot of these companies who a neck deep in debt will be struggling.

    No one wants to solve real problems like failing infistructure, bad highways, shitty for profit medical care, and shitty education, lack of teaching trades to kids, cause college is what it's all about to feed the machine right? At some point massive change is needed in this country, but we are too scared and too many people are making too much money so why change?

    Take a sheet of 1/2 osb, it was 15 bucks a year ago, it's 45 bucks today? The tree isn't charging any more money, the worker isn't getting that much more an hour, transportation costs are up but not by thousands. So how do you justify a 30 dollar more charge? It's greed the spineless politicians in washington aren't asking the hard questions because people are profiting and that's ok. Right? Some one needs to put the commodiities dealers and companies like seirria pascific, the koch family, and lousiana pasific up front and start asking them questions as to how a piece of materials can cost that much money. And those tarrfis? american business men love them.
    You're more right than wrong. 340% YoY lumber price increase https://www.businessinsider.com/lumb...uilders-2021-5

    The question is how long can the feds pretend massive increases aren't happening to commodities across the boards.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    lake level
    Posts
    1,411
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    We need another crash.
    It's coming.
    That's the most coherent thing Fred has ever posted, and possibly the only one I mostly agree with.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Pretty sure $12k is more normal than $3,400. Inflation has been here for years, the BLS and the FED just massage the numbers so as to not freak out the sheeple. If you pay for things it is obvious. As far as needing a crash, nope, no thanks. Just keep kicking that can please.
    Nope, a little over a year ago it was $2k or so to get a can here from Taiwan and now it's $10-12k. It used to be you'd order it on Monday and have it delivered Tuesday, filled and picked up Wednesday then on a boat by the weekend. Now you order for delivery 12 months out. I work with companies that are paying extortion fees of a couple of thousand dollars a day to keep their containers on the dock so they can eventually get on a boat rather than sent back. Getting space on a boat is another thing entirely even if you're willing to pay the 12k. One of my companies currently has 46 containers filled and they're somewhere between the factory and never never land, we have no inventory left here in North America and no way to nail down when stuff might arrive. The whole thing sucks.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ok here is my rant

    we are fucked

    inflation is out of control but we are being manipulated and we are being bullshitted
    by late 2022 or by spring of 2023 the shit will hit the fan and it will catch up with us hard just like 2008 and every other bust prior

    we now have another one term president who is asleep at the wheel and just went from another one term president that was injected into our daily lives constantly wtf?

    the amount of "free" and "cheap" money running around is bad, real bad, I just got a nice little hand writtten note from my bank begging me to take out a home equity loan WTF? I don't need it, but other people who don't need it think it's great and are taking it cause they can buy shit that makes them happy. what a country where buying shit sooths the emptiness inside, hey don't get me wrong I went and bought a 65k van, but hey I got the money not the credit. People are taking all this free money and running up the tab just like 2007 same shit, it all feels good looks good right now, but at some point you gotta pay for it

    the gov't has been running up the deficit at a rate never seen before have you seen one poltician or buracrap talking about paying it down? Nope? Thanks boomers for being the most selfish mother fuckers out there, at least your parents the so called "greatest generation" new how to pay taxes and build highways and throw down for all kinds of other great public works projects

    We quashed all the political and social unrest thanks to the internet, people are so buried deep in the internet they aren't really aware of what is going on

    The fake wall street is some sort of bariometer of how great society is doing, but it's not, most of this country is fucked by the wall street not enriched by it, as soon as interest rates climb alot of these companies who a neck deep in debt will be struggling.

    No one wants to solve real problems like failing infistructure, bad highways, shitty for profit medical care, and shitty education, lack of teaching trades to kids, cause college is what it's all about to feed the machine right? At some point massive change is needed in this country, but we are too scared and too many people are making too much money so why change?

    Take a sheet of 1/2 osb, it was 15 bucks a year ago, it's 45 bucks today? The tree isn't charging any more money, the worker isn't getting that much more an hour, transportation costs are up but not by thousands. So how do you justify a 30 dollar more charge? It's greed the spineless politicians in washington aren't asking the hard questions because people are profiting and that's ok. Right? Some one needs to put the commodiities dealers and companies like seirria pascific, the koch family, and lousiana pasific up front and start asking them questions as to how a piece of materials can cost that much money. And those tarrfis? american business men love them.
    Quality rant, Fred. We are EFFED. And no politician (on either side) has the balls to call it out so boldly because they're all too afraid to be the pin that pops that balloon. So they'll just keep kicking the can down the road, PRAYING it keeps going juuuuuust long enough so it's the next guy's problem.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    You're more right than wrong. 340% YoY lumber price increase https://www.businessinsider.com/lumb...uilders-2021-5

    The question is how long can the feds pretend massive increases aren't happening to commodities across the boards.
    Ahem...its "transitory"

    Our friends siding quote tripled on them between quote last fall and when everything had to be ordered in March. We built out our basement and 2x4s that were 2 bucks a few months back are 10 bucks each now.

    My neighbor owns a car dealership and keeps laughing his ass off at the used car market pricing. He can't keep new cars on the lot.

    I doubt semiconductor prices ever come down, as this market is showing what people are really willing to pay.

    There is alot of money out there and the only thing not changing seems to be salaries...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    49,363
    As long as the American worker, blue or white collared, is competing with 6 billion others off shore, there will be no significant inflation.

    The last time we had inflation bad enough to bring on 20% interest rates, unions were leapfrogging each other with wage and benefit concessions from major corporations. Now we have no unions and zero interest rates, with a Fed chairman saying, eh, no whoop, every few months.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    4,702
    The crazy thing about lumber prices is that there were no supply side issues causing the price increases. Most lumber is domestic and mills were deemed essential. The lumber price increase is just pure demand and greed...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    8,855
    Fuel surcharges implemented during the last price hike never went away. Maybe the same surcharge model permanently works its way into other products and services.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    4,601
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The crazy thing about lumber prices is that there were no supply side issues causing the price increases. Most lumber is domestic and mills were deemed essential. The lumber price increase is just pure Tariffs and greed...
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums





    fify.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The crazy thing about lumber prices is that there were no supply side issues causing the price increases. Most lumber is domestic and mills were deemed essential. The lumber price increase is just pure demand and greed...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My understanding based on reporting is that demand is significantly outstripping supply in the US lumber market.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    16,098

    The inflation thread

    There are actually supply side issues for engineered lumber.
    Glue availability has fucked up OSB, plywood and glulam (& other types) production. Less frequently used sizes/types are just unavailable; mfrs just bailed on those to make the popular items. Large builders have stocked up on availability too which has further fucked .with supply and pricing

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Nope, a little over a year ago it was $2k or so to get a can here from Taiwan and now it's $10-12k. It used to be you'd order it on Monday and have it delivered Tuesday, filled and picked up Wednesday then on a boat by the weekend. Now you order for delivery 12 months out. I work with companies that are paying extortion fees of a couple of thousand dollars a day to keep their containers on the dock so they can eventually get on a boat rather than sent back. Getting space on a boat is another thing entirely even if you're willing to pay the 12k. One of my companies currently has 46 containers filled and they're somewhere between the factory and never never land, we have no inventory left here in North America and no way to nail down when stuff might arrive. The whole thing sucks.
    1)Great Rant by Fred
    2)Good thread - lets not cunt it up
    3)Gravity - just curious - what are you bringing in? (dont want/need specifics) - Just more for curiosity....

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    14,494
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The crazy thing about lumber prices is that there were no supply side issues causing the price increases. Most lumber is domestic and mills were deemed essential. The lumber price increase is just pure demand and greed...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Don’t forget the Canada tariff.

    Finishing a sidewall project. Red cedar shingles at $240 a bundle. And I can’t even get them.
    “I’m a subhuman jizz monkey”

    Thx mods. It’s an awesome signature.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    16,313
    To the Moon Alice...

    Name:  Screenshot 2021-05-04 070610.png
Views: 650
Size:  215.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,108
    Nice Fred. 100% agree.

    I'm guessing Powell won't raise rates until it gets closer to the next election. Just a hunch.

    And whatabout the stimmies? Better get another one out soon lest the spigot dries.

    12-18 months, tops. I'm waiting.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4,112
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The crazy thing about lumber prices is that there were no supply side issues causing the price increases. Most lumber is domestic and mills were deemed essential. The lumber price increase is just pure demand and greed...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    log prices still cheap
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...om-cheap-trees

    As long as homeowners are going to be swarming to home despot to build shit projects, retail prices are up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •